iPhone 6 Plus = Absolutely a Win

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by snatchel, Sep 27, 2014.

1. snatchel macrumors newbie

What's going on y'all. I'm a long time lurker, but figured I would get in here and post my thoughts on the iPhone 6 Plus now that I finally registered.

There's a lot of conflict on what phone is best, etc.... and it's such a ridiculous subjective argument. Either way, this phone fits the bill perfectly for me. I am a regional manager in the oilfield in Texas & New Mexico. I spend about 50% of my time on the road, so I end up abusing my iphones. I've had every one of them since 3G... both the regular and "S" models. They get ran hard and put up wet, and keep on ticking. The iPhone 6 Plus, after the first week of abuse, is no different.

I probably send/recieve around 200 text messages a day, and as many emails. I make/receive around 30 calls a day. I also use the crap out of Voxer (as soon as everyone updates to the new iOS, i'll drop Voxer and just use the new voice feature in imessage). I also use safari extensively. This new phone has been a WORKHORSE! Portrait mode is the jam. I've fallen in love with it when pounding out a barrage of texts and emails.

First.. the battery. Oh my, the glorious battery. I am accustomed to charging 3 times a day, and with the new battery in this phone I have only recharged mid-day a couple of times. The field wreaks havoc on my battery because regardless of cell phone carrier, I fight for signal. It's incredibly frustrating.. however, the new phone has really impressed me. I keep it on 40% brightness or so, email set to push, and only a few apps refreshing in the background. I usually get home around 7 or 8 in the evening rocking a 20% reserve in battery. L.E.G.I.T.

The size? Well.... yeah, ok. It's big. It's really big. I deal with giant equipment all day.. and it's still big. There's really no getting around that, but at least it's super thin. Not "bend" thin either, for all those nay-sayers out there. I work in one of the toughest environments out there-- next to the military, which I did for a few years too-- and I haven't bent my phone. Not even a little bit. This big bastard rides in my back left pocket all day long. I wear regular boot-cut jeans from Buckle for those that want to know.. and it fits fine. Point is, I keep reading that the 6 Plus is as delicate as your girlfriend, and I just don't see it... but i digress. I'm waiting on the brown leather case from Apple because I have 3 addresses and didn't know where I would be this week.. but I'm sure it will make this phone that much more magical. The phone isn't going to bend if you pull it out of your pocket and throw it on the table or console or whatever before parking your a** in a chair. Then again, that goes for any flat 6", super thin object you put in your pocket. See what I did there? For those who wonder, I'm 5'8 and have average sided hands. I one-hand this beast just fine.... just use the pinky-at-the-bottom method.

Screen? Uh.... 1080, or whatever Apple is calling it. I don't really care what the numbers are, but suffice to say I am pleased. It looks like my TV, just smaller. I have no idea how it compares to samsung or nexus or whoever else... all I know is when my wife sends me a picture of my dog, or cat, or wife, I smile because they look brilliant. For you gamers out there, I also downloaded some slapdick game to see how it looked, and it was great.

Camera... is amazing. I take a lot of pictures of equipment, stupid people I see, etc. The pictures come out super clear. Night time pictures are 100x better. Maybe i'm exaggerating, but you all get the point. The difference between this and my 5S is noticeable. Today I managed to take a really clear snapchat of some guy walking a donkey down the highway and I was going like 85 mph. By buddy thought I stopped to take the pic.. but nay. Thank you iPhone 6 Plus for saving me the time of stopping to capture the moment. Facetime is also much more clear than i'm used to, my wife looks sexy. Video recording is exceptional as well. I went to Juarez last weekend and got some really cool slo-mo videos of a couple of strippers.. the vids are super clear even in the dim room. Clear enough that when I sobered up, I was beyond disappointed in what I thought were a pair of 10's. First World Probs.

Anyhow. Hope you enjoy my off-the-cuff review. I know I had a ton of questions about this stuff before I pre-ordered, but winged it and am pretty happy. Hopefully I help some of y'all who are still bouncing back and forth between the 6 and 6 plus. Which reminds me... I have a 6 as well. I bought both to see which I'd like better. After 2 days with it, it's sitting on the counter in the box and i've got the 6 plus in my pocket. Long story short.. if you can get past the size, you'll love it. If you do a lot of texting/emailing/etc, you'll love it. Get the damn phone. You'll adjust.

2. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Glad you enjoy your 6+ :)

I personally couldn't handle how big it is and needing two-hands all the time but different strokes for different folks...

3. jetlitheone macrumors 6502a

Pretty cool review.

I have the 6 and ordered the 6 plus hoping I'll like the plus. Used to large android phones so I think I will.

4. snatchel thread starter macrumors newbie

Bro, you'll love it.

5. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

Great review. I agree on all counts. The only iPhone I've ever skipped to date is the 5S, mainly because I feel like Apple really copped out by only increasing the height of the screen with the 5 design. It was still too small for my taste so I saw no reason to buy a second one. The 6 Plus makes me feel fully validated in waiting that extra year. It's the exact size I've always wanted to use iOS on and I love the "evolved iPhone 1" design, antenna bands and all. Totally agree on durability too. I carry mine in the back pocket of my jeans all the time. No bend. Not even a hint of one. It's plenty tough.

6. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I agree with you about the battery. I too was charging 3 times a day and now it's only once.. what a difference!

7. anonymous82 macrumors member

Was thinking to exchange my 6plus for 6 due to the size factor. However when comparing the 2 phone size by size, the 6+ is a winner.

8. Deeds500 macrumors regular

9. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

Glad you like your 6 plus. I've had mine since the 19th and I'm enjoying it just as much. I am a realtor so the big screen is very handy showing clients property. Also doing presentations and projects on it are really nice. This is the first iphone I've actually been able to do work on. I've watched more videos in the last week on the plus than I did on the 5s in a few months. The screen is glorious!. Enjoy :)

10. snatchel thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep... I downloaded a couple movies from my iTunes finally. I haven't watchd a single movie on any of my iPhone's till now because the screens were just too small. I had to google "where are movies downloaded to on iPhone" lol...didn't know where to find them. X-Men while waiting for a rig-up today? Yes please. so this is why people get so excited about smartphones......

11. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Thanks for posting this review. Hopefully people can tell the difference between an honest and well thought out user review and the drive by hack jobs the haters pull off.

12. gabrielignacio macrumors member

Thank you for this great review.

Can't wait to get my iPhone 6 plus next week.

13. MinEderPlayz macrumors 6502a

MinEderPlayz

Why does that already sound like you're talking down to 6 Plus owners. Some people have less tiny hands than you so... The 6 is NOT better than the Plus

14. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Because all the forum infighting lately has made you paranoid to pretty much anything anyone says beyond glowing praise? Hard to say for sure.

And no... it wasn't 'talking down' to anyone (hence why I started my sentence with "I personally"). Trust me, if I was actually talking down to 6+ owners, you would know.

15. MinEderPlayz macrumors 6502a

MinEderPlayz

Well in this forum that could definitely be an option. Sorry if I misinterpreted that. :D

16. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

17. danilko1 macrumors 6502a

danilko1

I love my phone, THANKS APPLE...

Today, my wife asked me how much I payed for it.

I said, they range from $199 to $499. She repeated herself. It wasn't a direct question. It was, the girls at work want to know how much your phone costs.

The response was the same last year. You paid that for a phone? What's not understood, was it's not technically money that comes out the family budget. I get the money back or close to it, when I sell it. Between birthday money and resale, I have it pretty much covered.

Anyway... She gets the phone next year.

18. sjperformance macrumors 6502

Great review. I pre ordered a 6 and 6+ as well. Been using the 6 since launch and since this past Friday the 6+. This upcoming Thursday I'm going to the Apple Store to return one...looks like the 6 64gb gold is going back. Keeping the 6+ silver 64gb.

19. yegon macrumors 68020

Love my 6+.

Great battery life too, the first significant real usage improvement in battery life I've ever experienced when upgrading my iPhone.

20. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

My wife says the same thing. I always have to show her on my paypal account that the sale of the previous phone pays for the new phone. Ha.

On a related note, I used my paypal account to buy the iPhone this year through AT&T and after having the phone for four days my money is still in my paypal account. Did I get a free iPhone Plus?

21. ArkieBiker macrumors member

ArkieBiker

Snatchel...the only thing I disagree with is? Oh wait, I agree. Never mind.

22. nouspa, Sep 28, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2014

nouspa macrumors member

One of the best phone ever made and still perfectly straight :cool:

23. big samm macrumors 65816

Same here i have both since launch day and used the 6 until last friday and started using the 6 plus, and im liking the 6 plus, but need a couple more days to really make my decision...

24. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

Just got the 6 plus last night. After using the 6 for a week looking to test the plus in real world. Screen is great though some games stutter. Would not say a total non starter but definitely there vs. not evident in the 6. One handed use was harder but not impossible.

25. lewismayell macrumors 6502a

I know how you feel