Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Pretty cool review.

I have the 6 and ordered the 6 plus hoping I'll like the plus. Used to large android phones so I think I will.

Well it is better than just trying it in the store but it still is not going to be easy choosing between the two. At least you will have real world experience though because in store trying is limited and restricted.

Good luck. Maybe I may end up just flipping a coin. :)

newone757

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
Awesome real world review!

Especially cool that you work the oil fields, I live in San Antonio!

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Thanks, OP, for posting your review. It's good to hear from folks with real world use experience.

I have a 5S, which has been the best iPhone I've owned (had the original, 3GS and 4S before it). For me, Touch ID has been the most valuable feature. I have to use a 5-digit passcode on my phone and Touch ID has saved a lot of time. Now that other apps like 1Password use it, it's even better.

I still don't know what I'll do about the 6/6 Plus. I definitely want a larger screen, since I spend so much time reading email, the web, and docs on my phone. I saw and held the 6 Plus for the first time yesterday at an Apple Store. It was both bigger and smaller than expected. Bigger in the sense that it displayed so much more than my 5S yet smaller in the sense that I could handle it fairly easily. My main concern is how it'll fit & look in my shirt pocket, especially with a case. The 6 may be a good compromise.

snatchel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2014
Thanks, OP, for posting your review. It's good to hear from folks with real world use experience.

I have a 5S, which has been the best iPhone I've owned (had the original, 3GS and 4S before it). For me, Touch ID has been the most valuable feature. I have to use a 5-digit passcode on my phone and Touch ID has saved a lot of time. Now that other apps like 1Password use it, it's even better.

I still don't know what I'll do about the 6/6 Plus. I definitely want a larger screen, since I spend so much time reading email, the web, and docs on my phone. I saw and held the 6 Plus for the first time yesterday at an Apple Store. It was both bigger and smaller than expected. Bigger in the sense that it displayed so much more than my 5S yet smaller in the sense that I could handle it fairly easily. My main concern is how it'll fit & look in my shirt pocket, especially with a case. The 6 may be a good compromise.

Well... I am carrying the 6P naked right now, but I wear starched jeans and a long sleeved button down shirt every day. I have incidentally put the 6P in my shirt pocket a few times like I did the 5S, and haven't had any trouble with it. It fits, but about 1-1 1/4 inches of the phone were visible.

That said, it usually rides in my back pocket. The 6 is shorter vertically, sure-- but I don't think the difference in a shirt pocket between a 6 and 6P is that great. I would post a picture comparison... But it's 8:30am on a Sunday and I'm NOT getting dressed yet.

Last edited:

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Well... I am carrying the 6P naked right now.
Your first sentence conjured up an interesting picture. Actually, there have been instances of iPhones carried by individuals with no clothes on. Probably more difficult to do with the 6 and 6 Plus, though. :)

nbarton

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2010
Perfect and glad to see it. Got a few pals in the same neck of the woods doing the same thing you are. Thanks for taking the time to share with us.

Rockbird86

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
London
Great review. And if the courier depot down the road ever delivers the damn thing I'll be right there with you. I gave birth to children with less hassle than it's taken to get this phone delivered...

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Nah, battery could be better on a device of this size. Sony and Samsung are putting out as much as 30 pc better real world use in comparable models now.

Otherwise agree, 6+ is superb, love it more every day.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010

This is just my opinion, so take it for what you will.....but I don't think the 6 is a great upgrade if you already have a 5S unless you just absolutely need a higher capacity on storage. I bought both a 6 and 6 Plus to try and figure out which one would be a better upgrade for me. While the 6 is definitely bigger than the 5S, the increase in size is really not that significant in real world usage. The difference ends up being an extra row of icons on the height and a size of half an icon on the width. To me that is a minimal gain in size and between that and the fact that it isn't fully a phone that most will be able to use one-handed (the top of the screen is still a bit too far for your thumb most of the time without adjusting your grip), it's ultimately not enough to justify a jump from my 5S, so it's going back.

So now I'm down to the 6 Plus. There are definitely some benefits to the extra size, but it can be kind of a bear to use on the go. So it comes down to a true bump in screen size/battery life and all of the benefits of that versus the loss of one handed portability.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.