iPhone 6 Plus Accelerometer Bug

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stephen1108, Sep 21, 2014.

1. stephen1108, Sep 21, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014

stephen1108 macrumors 65816

So as I was taking a picture tonight on my phone, I'm trying to figure out why they're coming out upside down. So then I realized that the camera icons and whatnot are upside down in the camera app. When I go back to my home screen all is fine until I take off orientation lock. After I did that, my phone's screen flipped upside down and wouldn't change no matter what direction I put my phone in. It seemed stuck in this orientation.

The only thing that fixed it was a restart, but it's still something that I found a bit weird and rather amusing too! Anyone else experience this?

2. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

3. stephen1108 thread starter macrumors 65816

That would be rather drastic if it's just a software problem.

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I think its an iOS bug because I had the same thing happen on my iPhone 5 on the GM version, I had the beta version all summer and it didn't happen until last week.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Are you sure its software? If no one else is experiencing it, then its probably Not software.

6. stephen1108 thread starter macrumors 65816

Well that's why I'm asking lol. If no one else has experienced this then I would narrow it down to a hardware problem.

----------

Hmmmm interesting. iOS 8 is really unrefined in many aspects so I was thinking it could be the OS too.

7. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Keep it then. I'm sure iOS 8.0.1 is in the works and will fix all the annoying little bugs associated with the new iPhones.

8. stephen1108 thread starter macrumors 65816

9. The Doctor11, Sep 26, 2014

The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I have had a problem to. A few times actually. My phone just gets stuck in landscape when I'm not even using landscape. Turning it off works for the short term but its a big problem Apple needs to address.

10. stephen1108 thread starter macrumors 65816

I want more people to chime in on this. I honestly hate going to the Genius Bar and replacing my phone (It's just a hassle), but if it's a hardware issue I'll def be paying them a visit.

11. -ryan macrumors member

thats so weird, im sure you already tried this, but maybe restore it?

& off topic, but wow i can't wait to get my phone, its gorgeous & yaaaas listening to rhythm of love

12. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I would hold off for a little while and see what happens. They might tell you it's software and "set up as new" which isn't really something you want to do.

13. stephen1108 thread starter macrumors 65816

ROTFLMFAO I WAS NOT EXPECTING THAT but yasssss!

And well, I didn't restore it, but the phone was set up as new out of the box so it's not like I threw any potentially corrupt back up data on it. I'ma wait it out for an update probably. It first did this last Saturday.

14. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

15. troop231 macrumors 603

I had the same behavior on my Plus too before I sold it.

16. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

I had my Plus stick in landscape mode today. I tried to open an app that doesn't support landscape mode, hoping that doing so would tell iOS that I'm in portrait, but the OS tried to render the app in landscape even though it wasn't supported, making it unusable. I had to restart it in order to get it to work correctly again.

The phone responded to all my commands, it just wouldn't rotate out of landscape until I restarted.

17. thedru13 macrumors regular

Have the same issue. From what i understand it's a software issue. Enough posts are popping up that point more towards a software glitch than a hardware issue. Would hold off for a bit.

18. Mr.Gene macrumors member

I encountered this today. I was setting up family sharing, and when I was asked to enter my appleid password the password box came up upside down just like in the video.

19. macAllen, Sep 26, 2014

macAllen macrumors 6502

macAllen

+1

You might as well put a poll on this thread cause you and add me in to with this bug.

I seem to notice this when I want to browse the web landscape or turn my youtube videos in to landscape but it gets stuck on portrait mode. I have to either quit the app, or bring up control center and toggle on and off orientation lock to get it working.. sadly sometimes I just give up.

So glad that some one else is experiencing this too. Thought it was hardware as well.

EDIT: Missed the fact that its a post on an iP6+ when mine is just the iP6, so if I'm experiencing a similar problem on a different phone, I'm sure its a bug... Running iOS8GM

20. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

I'm on the 6, not the 6+, but I do have my orientation get stuck fairly often. I bet it's a software bug.

As a test, when your orientation gets stuck see if the compass app in level mode (swipe left) is working. That way you can at least see if that sensor is working, but now there's info that the iPhone 6s have two accelerometers so that might not tell us anything useful.

21. stephen1108 thread starter macrumors 65816

Just happened again to me. This time the phone thought it was turned on its side.

I've noticed it's happening every week on the dot. I really do think it's software related

22. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Are you on 8.0.2? That update seemed to clear up the orientation problems I was having on my 6 (not +).

23. Shadowbech macrumors 601

Same here just happened to me today in my 6 plus was stuck in landscape. Had to reboot it twice. Hopefully apple will address this issue. Im in 8.0.2

24. grockk macrumors 6502

grockk

iphone 6, 8.0.2. Seeing the same orientation issues. I can take pictures and seemingly random whether upside down or not when they come out.

25. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

Can you do this? Download any free app that shows a graph of accelerometer data on each axis. Try to reproduce the bug while running the app. Do you see "stuck" data? If yes, the accel is defective; if not, it's a bug in iOS.