Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Haven't owned a 6 Plus, but the Note 4 has been a big leap in terms of battery life from my GS4, I can easily get through a day of heavy usage and have plenty to spare the next day.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
My intentions are not to begin a fanboy discussion but here are some examples:

1. The Dialer; I like pure android's version better than iOS. I like that I can search for locations right from the dialer. Apple's spotlight implementation isn't as good, IMO.

2. I like androids notifications better. Reason? Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but with android, you clear the notification on the lock screen and it clears it in the dropped down notification as well.

3. I like having options. If I want to use a third party sms messaging app, browser, etc. I like having the option of choosing it as my default.

4. I love personalizing my phone the way I like it! Whether its theming the Ui, adding widgets, or organizing icons.

Again, the iPhone is an excellent device! iOS just doesn't do it for me anymore.

This is how I feel from my switch from the iPhone 6 to the OnePlus One. Very happy with my new device, including the much better battery life.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
My intentions are not to begin a fanboy discussion but here are some examples:

1. The Dialer; I like pure android's version better than iOS. I like that I can search for locations right from the dialer. Apple's spotlight implementation isn't as good, IMO.

2. I like androids notifications better. Reason? Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but with android, you clear the notification on the lock screen and it clears it in the dropped down notification as well.

3. I like having options. If I want to use a third party sms messaging app, browser, etc. I like having the option of choosing it as my default.

4. I love personalizing my phone the way I like it! Whether its theming the Ui, adding widgets, or organizing icons.

Again, the iPhone is an excellent device! iOS just doesn't do it for me anymore.

1 is awesome - even though I didn't use Android for a terribly long time, I still find myself trying to pull up the number for the vet by searching it in the dialer. I forget I need to go to Maps.

2 works on iOS too I believe. I prefer iOS's notifications - actionable, shown on lock screen, don't clutter the status bar and the pull down Today/Notifcations window is fantastic. Tucks away widgets and leaves me a nice clean home screen, plus all those widgets are accessible from the lock screen.

3 I understand. iMessage was actually a main reason I went back to iOS. None of my family/friends use Android or anything 3rd party messenging app. iMessage is built in, cohesive (SMS, iMessage move seamlessly back and forth between them) and feature-packed. Can't imagine needing anything else.

4 Definitely man. I figured this was one of the reasons. I just like to ask because sometimes someone will throw out something unique I hadn't heard/thought of.

To each his/her own. As long as you enjoy what you use, that's all that matters.

Cheers!

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Exactly. :( The bummer is that I REALLY want to like iOS.

Why do you *want* to like it though?

Just get what you like, don't try to force yourself to like something you don't. If you're not liking iOS as it is, you'll never be happy with an iPhone...

The Note 4 has superb battery life as well, and as mentioned already you can just keep a charged replacement battery on you and basically be 100% guaranteed to always have juice. With the not insignificant advantage that you could get multiple spares and be good for say a week of hiking or whatever.

Between the 6 Plus and Note 4, I just can't see how the battery would be a deciding factor either way. How you gel with the OS is infinitely more important when choosing between two phones which are both beasts when it comes to the battery.

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
I am an avid phone switcher and I have owned both the Note 4 and Nexus 6 and now im back running the 6+.

I had the 6 Plus when it first dropped and then I always wanted to try the Note 4 and Nexus 6. I traded someone for a Nexus 6 and I had that device for about 2 days and then traded it off for a Note 4. I loved the Note 4 but just couldnt get with Touchwiz and the lag. Yeah the lag is minor but still there. Every android phone runs top notch when you first get it but then will slow down over time.

I had to get back to the 6 Plus which is just an overall great phone. I really so no negatives with it. I think I can say that the battery life is better on the Plus than the Note 4.

cloudsup

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2015
Why do you *want* to like it though?

Just get what you like, don't try to force yourself to like something you don't. If you're not liking iOS as it is, you'll never be happy with an iPhone...

The Note 4 has superb battery life as well, and as mentioned already you can just keep a charged replacement battery on you and basically be 100% guaranteed to always have juice. With the not insignificant advantage that you could get multiple spares and be good for say a week of hiking or whatever.

Between the 6 Plus and Note 4, I just can't see how the battery would be a deciding factor either way. How you gel with the OS is infinitely more important when choosing between two phones which are both beasts when it comes to the battery.

I want to like iOS because I really enjoy the phone itself; the screen is lovely, the build is great, it feels good in my hands, and I love the camera.

I'm putting more weight in battery life because I KNOW that with time I can get used to iOS and maybe even come to like it a lot. So if the battery life is worth it, I'm more than happy to give myself time to get used to the OS. But if I can find better battery life with an Android phone, that's where I'm going because as it stands, I prefer Android. But for what it's worth, I'm seriously leaning towards the Note 4, despite people here saying the 6 Plus battery is slightly better.

Battery life is important to me because I use GPS a lot but the charging port in my car doesn't work. I'm also away from home often without the chance to charge my phone, so I need a device that will last me as much time as possible and won't cause me to worry all the time if my battery is going to die.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Every android phone runs top notch when you first get it but then will slow down over time.

Ive owned quite a few Android phones and none of them have slowed down over time. They actually get faster with each OS update. Even if you do experience slowdown you can just re-flash the standard rom back.

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2013
some iPhones will slow down over time ;)
iOS came out with lot of severe bugs
Lollipop had exactly same situation
To be honest, iOS and Android are both mature OS, no lags, only bugs when you get update at first days
With Apple, you cant downgrade while you can on Android :p

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
IOS was way better before they added all this useless fluffy crap to it in ios7. Ios 6 was a bust but not as much as 7 and 8.

The reason the iphone 6+ gets good battery life is because it only has 1gb of ram and therefore isn't using as much power. Double it and it would be the same as androids.

My nexus 5 has the best battery life of any smartphone I've ever owned in my life.

I WISH I could like ios but the ONLY reason I would ever REconsider getting an iphone is if it came prejailbroken, if I had root access to some sort of file system, if it was CHEAPER (not that I can't afford it, but why should something cost more if it obviously has less features than other phones?).

Galaxy note 4 is $750 msrp from T-Mobile USA. Think Galaxy note 4 msrp from att is like $830

iPhone 6 plus is $750 msrp from T-Mobile usa and all usa carriers.

64gb iPhone 6 plus is $850 msrp. There is no 64gb note 4. Only 32gb available note 4 in USA. Plus microsd which u can't really install apps that run fully and as fast on microsd.

So explain again how exactly the iPhone 6 plus is expensive?

Sure nexus 4/5 were cheaper. But Google has gone the other way with their nexus pricing. The nexus 6 is like $650 msrp as well.

----------

The main issue with battery life with android devices is Google does not do a good job in their App Store policing which apps consume battery.

My lg 3 had great battery life at stock. Than I instaled my usual apps. (HBO banking apps, Facebook, spotify, yahoo mail, TV channels etc). Than I noticed significant battery drain like 5-7% per hour on standbye).

Apple lets u have option to disable background refresh on apps. Google does not. Even if I manually disable android apps (like facebook notification, that stupid app still kept draining my battery).

So I found Facebook app draining my battery even if I disable everything. So I disabled the entire facebook app (I have att Lg G3 version and u cannot uninstall Facebook, just disable it).

Anyways after disabling the app my battery life is tremendous again and battery only drains about 0.5% per hour. So after 24 hours standbye. I am at 86-88%. I have multiple phones and lines so can do 24 hour stanbye test. Whereas if I have facebokk installed my battery would be close to dead in 24 hours.

occollegeboi420

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2013
Galaxy note 4 is $750 msrp from T-Mobile USA. Think Galaxy note 4 msrp from att is like $830

iPhone 6 plus is $750 msrp from T-Mobile usa and all usa carriers.

64gb iPhone 6 plus is $850 msrp. There is no 64gb note 4. Only 32gb available note 4 in USA. Plus microsd which u can't really install apps that run fully and as fast on microsd.

So explain again how exactly the iPhone 6 plus is expensive?

Sure nexus 4/5 were cheaper. But Google has gone the other way with their nexus pricing. The nexus 6 is like $650 msrp as well.

----------

The main issue with battery life with android devices is Google does not do a good job in their App Store policing which apps consume battery.

My lg 3 had great battery life at stock. Than I instaled my usual apps. (HBO banking apps, Facebook, spotify, yahoo mail, TV channels etc). Than I noticed significant battery drain like 5-7% per hour on standbye).

Apple lets u have option to disable background refresh on apps. Google does not. Even if I manually disable android apps (like facebook notification, that stupid app still kept draining my battery).

So I found Facebook app draining my battery even if I disable everything. So I disabled the entire facebook app (I have att Lg G3 version and u cannot uninstall Facebook, just disable it).

Anyways after disabling the app my battery life is tremendous again and battery only drains about 0.5% per hour. So after 24 hours standbye. I am at 86-88%. I have multiple phones and lines so can do 24 hour stanbye test. Whereas if I have facebokk installed my battery would be close to dead in 24 hours.
You can disable background apps in developer settings. I always have it set to 4 background apps. It doesn't really disable it completely, just the cache. I barely multitask and never really use more than 2-4 apps at a time anyway. And I do everything manually, syncing contacts, email, calendar events, etc. Uses less battery that way.

Anyway, the note 4 runs circles around the iphone 6+:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVkaY-F6Zhs&index=7&list=FLkNeLi-KlV-FM4TWu4JcdpA

I don't know why they made the nexus 6 so expensive, but probably because it's a phablet. It doesn't make sense though when all the previous nexus devices were uner $400. I got my Nexus 5 for $320 no contract.

As for facebook, facebook is the most buggiest app ever. I have never had it installed on any of my andriods just because I only use the web browser for it instead. I had the facebook app installed on my iphone but learned quick how buggy it is and used safari instead. lol. I tell everyone to not install anything facebook related. Just use the browser for facebook and messenger.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
You can disable background apps in developer settings. I always have it set to 4 background apps. It doesn't really disable it completely, just the cache. I barely multitask and never really use more than 2-4 apps at a time anyway. And I do everything manually, syncing contacts, email, calendar events, etc. Uses less battery that way.

Anyway, the note 4 runs circles around the iphone 6+:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVkaY-F6Zhs&index=7&list=FLkNeLi-KlV-FM4TWu4JcdpA

I don't know why they made the nexus 6 so expensive, but probably because it's a phablet. It doesn't make sense though when all the previous nexus devices were uner $400. I got my Nexus 5 for $320 no contract.

As for facebook, facebook is the most buggiest app ever. I have never had it installed on any of my andriods just because I only use the web browser for it instead. I had the facebook app installed on my iphone but learned quick how buggy it is and used safari instead. lol. I tell everyone to not install anything facebook related. Just use the browser for facebook and messenger.

Yeah. I've been android 1.0 user since HTC g1 way back in October 2008. Android is just flaky how they let apps get out of hand with their battery background usage. Yes. I just use web browser for facebook on android.

I was just saying most common users don't understand why battery drains so fast on android. Like even you hear macrumors how the nexus 5 battery life sucks. But if you run just the stock apps on the nexus 5, you can get through a full day of pretty heavy use (6 real hours of real time use for me when I had the nexus 5). But once u start instaling apps like Facebook on nexus 5 your battery real time usage starts going down to like 4 hours of real time usge and battery would be dead by 3-4 pm on a work day.

I carry lg G3 and iPhone 6 plus. Got the 6 plus cause i knew battery life is very good. I get a full 8-8.5 hours of real time usage on the iPhone 6 plus. So I am usually down to 20% by 9pm. My iPhone 5S I usually got 6-6.5 hours of real time usage. My friends iPhone 6 4.7 inch he gets a good 7-7.5 hours.

I had note 2 and battery life was outstanding. Solid 8-9 hours Real time usage. I am sure the note 4 has outstanding battery. I am content with my LG G3. So didn't feel need to get Note 4. I just like the G3 form factor better than Note 4.

masands

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2010
I got the Xperia Z3c which is supposed to have an insane battery life. And it did right out of the box. I used to get 7+ hrs of SoT. However, once you start to enable things like Google Now and download some apps the battery goes to ****. I found myself with "Google Play Services" using 45%+ battery and my SoT dropped it 3.5-4hrs.

This is the most infuriating problem with Android. You never know what's causing the battery drain. I finally fixed the issue by disabled Google+ but the problem usually returns in some form. Sometimes it's Facebook, sometimes it's Whatsapp and sometimes it lasts for 3+ days.

The battery life on my iPhone 6+ was superb. But I had to return the phone because it was too big for me. I got around 3 days average and standby was insane. Lost maybe 1% overnight.

Eventually I'll get rid of the Xperia Z3c and get the iPhone 6S. I don't like iOS either but I'm enjoying the high quality apps on my iPad Air 2 plus many of them are now getting updated with widgets and extensions. The OS is a lot more bearable these days. I really love the option to disable Background App Refresh especially for apps like Facebook.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
I got the Xperia Z3c which is supposed to have an insane battery life. And it did right out of the box. I used to get 7+ hrs of SoT. However, once you start to enable things like Google Now and download some apps the battery goes to ****. I found myself with "Google Play Services" using 45%+ battery and my SoT dropped it 3.5-4hrs.

This is the most infuriating problem with Android. You never know what's causing the battery drain. I finally fixed the issue by disabled Google+ but the problem usually returns in some form. Sometimes it's Facebook, sometimes it's Whatsapp and sometimes it lasts for 3+ days.

The battery life on my iPhone 6+ was superb. But I had to return the phone because it was too big for me. I got around 3 days average and standby was insane. Lost maybe 1% overnight.

Eventually I'll get rid of the Xperia Z3c and get the iPhone 6S. I don't like iOS either but I'm enjoying the high quality apps on my iPad Air 2 plus many of them are now getting updated with widgets and extensions. The OS is a lot more bearable these days. I really love the option to disable Background App Refresh especially for apps like Facebook.

That may be your experience of the Z3 Compact, but I find - some 4 months down the line - that the battery life on mine is as good as new. It is one of the top rated phones for battery life.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/mobile-phones/1402071/best-battery-life-2014-60-smartphones-tested

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2013

Yes, we are all in same boat with Android
Google services will kill your battery life if you let them occurring the system
I have also a Z3 Compact, even with drain, i got better battery life than 6+ lol

But i must admit it frustatings with this sort of trouble, i need to check if something doesn't attempt to sync/keep in background :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.