iPhone 6 Plus Bending Limits Tested in New Video

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 23, 2014.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Earlier today, we shared several photos and videos from iPhone 6 Plus users who accidentally bent their iPhones when carrying the device in their pockets, mere days after the phone's initial launch.

Following this morning's news, YouTube video maker Lewis Hilsenteger of Unbox Therapy created a video exploring just how much an iPhone 6 Plus will bend when subjected to force. Using his hands, Hilsenteger bends the iPhone 6 Plus as much as he can, with significant warping showing up near the device's volume buttons.

The force placed on the iPhone 6 Plus in the video is unlikely to be replicated in a pocket, but as several photos have demonstrated in our earlier post, it does not take much force to cause a slight curvature in the device. The iPhone 6 Plus does, however, remain functional after bending, but as noted by Hilsenger on Twitter, the device screen cracked when he attempted to bend it back into shape.

Bending issues are not limited to the iPhone 6 Plus, as previous generations of the iPhone, including the iPhone 5 and the iPhone 5s have also seen complaints of bending after being subjected to a pocket.

Apple has not yet commented on the iPhone 6 Plus bending incidents, but iPhone 6 Plus owners can likely prevent bending by removing the phone from their pockets before sitting or bending, or by placing the device in a rigid protective case.

Article Link: iPhone 6 Plus Bending Limits Tested in New Video

2. RosOne macrumors regular

How exactly is this a "test"? Guy bends an iPhone and it bent. Wow :|

3. farewelwilliams macrumors 65816

for the sake of Science?

more like for the sake of Youtube money.

4. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

My 4S doesn't have that feature. Damn it Apple, keep leaving us in the dark!

5. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Thin metal things bend - wow - and in other news bears continue to do business in woodland areas.

6. Jmacman78 macrumors 6502

Jmacman78

Gimme a break. you could do this with most phones on the market. Put pressure on it and it will bend/break no matter what it is.

Every time a new iPhone comes out everyone freaks out that it's a "bendgate".

7. Shayanftw macrumors member

8. Menopause macrumors 6502a

Menopause

Next test: putting your iPhone 6 in a pre-heated oven to see how long it takes to bake till crispy. In other words: I find bending aluminum with bear fingers (yes: bear, look at those fingers) and calling it a "test" for "scientific" reasons is eff-ing ridiculous.

The lengths of stupidity people go to to get video hits and earn off YouTube ads! Sigh.

9. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I wonder why Jony Ive didn't design a couple ribs of aluminum running top to bottom through the phone. The 4 and 4S had separate structure parts and they never bent. Now the iPhone 6 and 6+ have no internal structure parts and they bend

10. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

"For the sake of science."

I think it's incredible how much the glass on the front warped without splintering - I guess the durability of it lacks the structural integrity to help prevent the body from shifting.

11. Ted13 macrumors 6502

Pro tip: next time don't get a Gordon Gekko sized phone. And maybe, just maybe next year Apple will release at least one high end phone in the 4 or 5 form factor.

12. iLoveiTunes macrumors regular

13. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Those looked remarkably like human fingers to me

14. shanson27 macrumors 6502a

shanson27

15. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

I got a Spigen case coming called the slim armor. U think it will prevent bending?

16. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

You're right, it is pretty incredible, but it seems consistent with the videos which highlight the "bending" strength of Gorilla Glass. I am also surprised the glass does not keep the structure more intact.

17. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

For all the plastic hate here i bet you cant bend a 5c like that!

18. stan1028 macrumors member

stan1028

Just wondering if the iPhone 5c actually bends.

19. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

When ones applies a force enough to bend metal, metal will bend. Can anyone simplify this one for me with an equation governing this anomaly?

20. Schranke macrumors 6502

Schranke

Had the problem with my 5s and apple did not do anything...

I hope they will help people and acknowledge this problem, especially with the 6 and 6+ since it take it as a design flaw. A phone should not bend in a pocket

21. troop231 macrumors 603

Given enough time, sure it will bend in a pocket still. Maybe not as severe as this video, but it will still bend.

22. applesith macrumors 68020

applesith

Are these gimmicks really worth the clickbait?

23. Aetles macrumors regular

Aetles

While that is kind of true I'd wager that these new iPhones are much worse than previous models when it comes to bending.

(Not saying that is surprising since they're larger and thinner that before. But I think reports like these could prevent some accidental bending by making people more aware of it.)

24. jon3543 macrumors 6502

25. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan