Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
To those of you buying the 6+, do you plan on making much less use of your Kindle?

andyp350

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2011
Not at all, my Kindle is a totally different device. I can't read comfortably on a backlit LCD screen for extensive periods of time and its hard to "get in to" what i'm reading.
Reading on the Kindles e-ink display feels so natural and I completely forget I am reading an electronic device.

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
Not at all, my Kindle is a totally different device. I can't read comfortably on a backlit LCD screen for extensive periods of time and its hard to "get in to" what i'm reading.
Reading on the Kindles e-ink display feels so natural and I completely forget I am reading an electronic device.

love my kindles .. i dont think i could ever replace them

refslady

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
Thawing North

The non-glare screen makes the Kindle my reader of choice!

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
My Kindle always has a home, reading books are just to great on it. I use my iPad for magazines and newspapers, and I'll prob use my 6plus for that now. I myself got the 6plus as I wanted to replace me iPad with a large phone, consolidate it all down to my Macbook Air in the 6plus....

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
The non-glare screen makes the Kindle my reader of choice!

This. Me too! I have an iPad, iPhone (soon 6), and a Windows 8 inch tablet (which I love btw)

None of them matches the low key experience of grabbing the eink kindle and just reading till I fall asleep...

refslady

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
Thawing North
This. Me too! I have an iPad, iPhone (soon 6), and a Windows 8 inch tablet (which I love btw)

None of them matches the low key experience of grabbing the eink kindle and just reading till I fall asleep...

I like reading on the couch, then just deciding to walk outside while I'm still reading - can't do that with the iPad! Kindle makes it seamless.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I use the iPad Air as my Kindle.

It'll simply be what I use normally, long hours of reading.

I'll be able to use my 6+ as my short hours reading, meaning my lunch time reading.

I never installed the Kindle app on my iPhones because the screen was so small. Now I'll be able to get more done.

The same thing goes for Netflix. I can finally install it on my iPhone and feel comfortable with the view.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Same here. There's just way too much glare on LCD when reading in sunlight. Also, having to turn up your display brightness to max kills battery life pretty quickly.

cinealta

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
Kindle has a matte, non-reflective screen. It's effortless for hours of reading without eye strain, in any light setting. Just like a paperback book. iP6+ will be good for short reading, checking info etc.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
Kindle has a matte, non-reflective screen. It's effortless for hours of reading without eye strain, in any light setting. Just like a paperback book. iP6+ will be good for short reading, checking info etc.

This. No way to read long hours on an iPhone or iPad. Kindle still has it's place in the market.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
The only Kindle I own is a Paperwhite. It isn't going ANYWHERE. Of all of my devices I use my Paperwhite the most because I read a lot and nothing beats the e-ink screen for that. Nothing. Not the iPhone 6, not the iPad, nothing.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
Alright, now that everyone has their 6 Pluses in hand, has that changed anyone's opinions?

I've tried using mine and it'll work but I will probably still prefer my Kindle because of the wider screen. The phone's aspect ratio is too narrow. That said, it's a beautiful screen and should work fine for short reading sessions.

GCPandroo

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2014
Alright, now that everyone has their 6 Pluses in hand, has that changed anyone's opinions?

I've tried using mine and it'll work but I will probably still prefer my Kindle because of the wider screen. The phone's aspect ratio is too narrow. That said, it's a beautiful screen and should work fine for short reading sessions.

I'm not sure if the Kindle app just hasn't been updated for the 6 Plus' resolution yet, but on mine the text looks extremely blurry, making it slightly annoying to read. I'll continue to use my iPad mini for reading until they can update the app, which I hope is soon. I really enjoy the size of the plus, and having read news articles on it I could definitely see myself using it as my main ebook reader.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

This times a million.

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I switched from Kindle to iPad for reading a while ago but always found the Air a little too big and the iPhone way too small. Considered getting a Mini but I prefer the larger screen on the Air for everything else, besides books. I think the Plus will be a great reading device though. It's almost the size of a small paperback book.

BigMovieGeek

macrumors regular
May 22, 2010
I'm quite happy to read the Kindle in the bath... No way am I getting an iPhone near a tub of water.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Kept my Paperwhite, sold my iPad rMini. My 6+ fits the role of all purpose connected device while I still utilize my iPad Air for movies and general browsing at home and my Paperwhite for reading.

RobinInOR

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
Kindle stays upstairs under my pillow, for nighttime reading. Has all books. I sync so no matter what I pick up I go to the same location.

IPad Mini I carry with me, also has all books. Use it to read in the den. Still like the color book covers, easier to check the next book to read. way too many to select from, I'm a fan of the free section of ereaderiq.com

New phone I probably won't use as much for Kindle, might have some of my favorite books on it in case I have to go somewhere with just my wallet size purse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.