Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chanc

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
San Jose, CA
I'm wondering if anyone has seen this with their iPhone 6 Plus. In recent weeks, the battery on my iPhone has been performing very erratically. It definitely does not last as long as when the first phone came out. But stranger still, the battery percentage will drop dramatically after reaching the 50% mark or so, to a red zone level (sub 20%).

Today I was using the phone and it was showing 53% when the screen suddenly went dark. When I looked closely at the screen, it showed an empty battery icon asking me to plug in a cable. When I plugged the cable in, the batter jumped back to 50% and I was able to Cronus using the phone unplugged.

When I took it into the Apple Store, they tested the battery and didn't find anything wrong. They asked me to do a clean install of iOS which I did but I still have this issue.

Being an iPhone 6 Plus, it is outside of warranty. Anyone seen something like this before ?

j1huynh

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012
Yes. I have iPhone 6plus and have the same issue. It would go from 20% to 9% in a second. Lol. Seems to happen after updates. Not sure which one.

j1huynh

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012
I just put up with it until iPhone 7p are more readily available.. hopefully in a few months

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Search the forum. Apple is working on a plan to replace these batteries in a recall.

I thought that was only for the 6s, not 6? Would love more info on that.

Anyway, my 6 (4.7") has the same wonky battery issue. I took mine in thinking a new battery was in order after doing a wipe & restore but Apple's diagnostics said the battery was good. I still have the 6 but bought a 7 b/c it got too unpredictable.

iParts4u

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2016
Newport
I'm wondering if anyone has seen this with their iPhone 6 Plus. In recent weeks, the battery on my iPhone has been performing very erratically. It definitely does not last as long as when the first phone came out. But stranger still, the battery percentage will drop dramatically after reaching the 50% mark or so, to a red zone level (sub 20%).

Today I was using the phone and it was showing 53% when the screen suddenly went dark. When I looked closely at the screen, it showed an empty battery icon asking me to plug in a cable. When I plugged the cable in, the batter jumped back to 50% and I was able to Cronus using the phone unplugged.

When I took it into the Apple Store, they tested the battery and didn't find anything wrong. They asked me to do a clean install of iOS which I did but I still have this issue.

Being an iPhone 6 Plus, it is outside of warranty. Anyone seen something like this before ?

Hi, this would appear that your battery has reached end of life, have you checked how many cycles the battery has done?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I'm guessing its a bad battery and not iOS related. The iPhone 6Plus is old and if you have had it since near launch, you have probably consumed the battery by now. Its rated for 80% retention after 500 cycles. If you charge once a day, you are over 500 cycles.

If you have a Mac, use CoconutBattery to determine your health. Anything under 80% will cause erratic behavior because the battery is now unstable.

iParts4u

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2016
Newport
Normally iPhone batteries will do atleast 1000 cycles before needing to be replaced, it should not drop of prior to this unless the battery has not been looked after well, we sell around 1000 of these batteries each month and this is now increasing due to the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus getting older. If you are using a PC you can check the cycle count using iBackupbot which is a free software you can install.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Normally iPhone batteries will do atleast 1000 cycles before needing to be replaced, it should not drop of prior to this unless the battery has not been looked after well, we sell around 1000 of these batteries each month and this is now increasing due to the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus getting older. If you are using a PC you can check the cycle count using iBackupbot which is a free software you can install.

iPhone and iPads are rated for 500 cycles. MacBooks and Apple Watch are rated for 1000 cycles.

Edit:

I was slightly incorrect.

iPhone - 500 cycles
iPad - 1000 cycles
Apple Watch - 1000 Cycles
MacBooks - 1000 cycles
iPods - 400 cycles

http://www.apple.com/batteries/service-and-recycling/

iParts4u

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2016
Newport
Can you tell me where you are getting this information from? if they are only rated at 500 cycles that is only 1 year and 4 months of life working on the average person charging their battery everyday. Apple would not supply a phone with a lifespan of less than 18 months. In my experience with Apple Lithium ION batteries they will do from 1000-1200 cycles with out the need to replace. I'd be interested to see where you were getting your facts from.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Can you tell me where you are getting this information from? if they are only rated at 500 cycles that is only 1 year and 4 months of life working on the average person charging their battery everyday. Apple would not supply a phone with a lifespan of less than 18 months. In my experience with Apple Lithium ION batteries they will do from 1000-1200 cycles with out the need to replace. I'd be interested to see where you were getting your facts from.

I posted the link above. Apple directly. Here it is again.

Of course Apple supplies it with a lifespan of less than 2 years, so you upgrade yearly. Mac, iPads and Apple Watches don't need yearly upgrades so they give it a better battery. Makes perfect sense.

Edit:
iPhone batteries cannot survive 1000 cycles. I take fantastic care of my batteries. I don't use them in high heat or extreme cold. I don't ever let the battery die, never over-charge it or always keep it near 100% and I have yet to be able to break 600 cycles on a battery before its below 80%.

I don't even think iPad batteries can survive 1000 cycles and that is what Apple is claiming. My Air 2 has 60 cycles, its at 97% health, my iPad 2 has 400 cycles, its at 83% health and my GF's iPad 2 has 500 cycles and its at 75% health. So iPad 2 definitely did not hold up. Either one of them.

Last edited:

poetangel

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2016
Kenosha, WI
Is it worth it to buy a new battery to try and make it to the 8? Or do I have to suck it up and get a 7 now. I have a 6 plus I purchased in Oct 2014 and the battery/charging levels are erratic as noted in this thread. I fully charged it last night but it has no data in the Usage and Standby section, which is very odd. It jumps around like I had it at 9% yesterday and plugged it in and immediately jumped to 24%.

I just didn't know if soon enough (before the 8 comes out) other things will stop working or lag too much? Making a new battery not really worth it. I did get an Apple Watch this month but this change in battery didn't coincide directly with that timing.

iParts4u

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2016
Newport
Is it worth it to buy a new battery to try and make it to the 8? Or do I have to suck it up and get a 7 now. I have a 6 plus I purchased in Oct 2014 and the battery/charging levels are erratic as noted in this thread. I fully charged it last night but it has no data in the Usage and Standby section, which is very odd. It jumps around like I had it at 9% yesterday and plugged it in and immediately jumped to 24%.

I just didn't know if soon enough (before the 8 comes out) other things will stop working or lag too much? Making a new battery not really worth it. I did get an Apple Watch this month but this change in battery didn't coincide directly with that timing.
I posted the link above. Apple directly. Here it is again.

Of course Apple supplies it with a lifespan of less than 2 years, so you upgrade yearly. Mac, iPads and Apple Watches don't need yearly upgrades so they give it a better battery. Makes perfect sense.

Edit:
iPhone batteries cannot survive 1000 cycles. I take fantastic care of my batteries. I don't use them in high heat or extreme cold. I don't ever let the battery die, never over-charge it or always keep it near 100% and I have yet to be able to break 600 cycles on a battery before its below 80%.

I don't even think iPad batteries can survive 1000 cycles and that is what Apple is claiming. My Air 2 has 60 cycles, its at 97% health, my iPad 2 has 400 cycles, its at 83% health and my GF's iPad 2 has 500 cycles and its at 75% health. So iPad 2 definitely did not hold up. Either one of them.

Thanks for the information, We have seen many customers coming in with a cycle use of well in excess of 1000 and they are happy with the battery life, I would agree that the life will not be as good as new, however they should not completely fail, I assume all the above iPad's are still fairly usable and there is no need to replace the battery?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Thanks for the information, We have seen many customers coming in with a cycle use of well in excess of 1000 and they are happy with the battery life, I would agree that the life will not be as good as new, however they should not completely fail, I assume all the above iPad's are still fairly usable and there is no need to replace the battery?

The iPad 2 with 75% health remaining does not charge anymore. I mean it does if you aren't using the device, but if you are using the device while its plugged in, the device uses more power than the charger can supply, so the battery actually drops while its charging and being used. The other iPad 2 with 83% health is on its way out. I get about 3 hours of usage for a 6 hours charge.

GalaDaliGirl

Suspended
Sep 19, 2014
I called Apple today and he said iPhone 6 owners are SOL for a replacement like the 6s owners are getting. I'm ready to jump ship and try something else if a $900 phone doesn't last more than 2 years.

He didn't a give fuch really. Was very disappointing. I felt like I was talking to someone at the DMV.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I called Apple today and he said iPhone 6 owners are SOL for a replacement like the 6s owners are getting. I'm ready to jump ship and try something else if a $900 phone doesn't last more than 2 years.

He didn't a give fuch really. Was very disappointing. I felt like I was talking to someone at the DMV.

The battery is rated for 500 cycles. Thats been the case for 9 years now. They offer battery replacement for $79 dollars if your battery fails. If you use a cycle a day, it will last about 18 months. You really think any other phone manufacturer is going to have a battery that lasts longer? Good luck..

Btw: iPhone 6s users are getting replacements for actual defective batteries, not worn batteries. There is a difference. Additionally, only certain 6s qualify and its based on serial number eligibility.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I don't believe these issues are independent. I have the same symptom as 6s users.

The issues are independent and the issues are entirely different. You have symptoms of a worn battery, the iPhone 6s users actually have a battery that has failed early. I guarantee you, you are close to or over 500 cycles on your phone and the battery health is around 80%. If thats the case, your battery is worn and has not failed. iPhone 6s users are having batteries below the 80% threshold at 200 charge cycles, not 500 and thats an indication of a failed battery.

If you have a Mac, download coconutbattery and check your health/cycle count.

Matthew.H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2015
Norwich, UK
The issues are independent and the issues are entirely different. You have symptoms of a worn battery, the iPhone 6s users actually have a battery that has failed early. I guarantee you, you are close to or over 500 cycles on your phone and the battery health is around 80%. If thats the case, your battery is worn and has not failed. iPhone 6s users are having batteries below the 80% threshold at 200 charge cycles, not 500 and thats an indication of a failed battery.

If you have a Mac, download coconutbattery and check your health/cycle count.
I took my August 2015 build 6S into Apple today for the battery replacement program as it is eligible. My phone shut down this morning at 21% yet in coconut battery it show nearly 95% health with 37 charge cycles. The battery is the original one and I only tend to charge a couple of times a week hence the low count.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I took my August 2015 build 6S into Apple today for the battery replacement program as it is eligible. My phone shut down this morning at 21% yet in coconut battery it show nearly 95% health with 37 charge cycles. The battery is the original one and I only tend to charge a couple of times a week hence the low count.

Yes, yours is eligible because there is a bad batch of batteries. 95% after 37 cycles is horrendous. My 7Plus is at 71 cycles and still at 102% capacity. Without a doubt you would reach 80% before 500 cycles.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.