Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GeniusJon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2011
Canada
I was scrolling through the tech specs page and noticed that the 6 Plus has a lower contrast ration compared to the 6.

And to think I've made up my mind :rolleyes:

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
I've noticed this as well, while I will be getting an iPhone 6, this didn't weigh into my decision at all. Keep in mind the iPhone 6 plus does also have a 1080p screen, which is a more difficult decision for me than the lower contrast ratio.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
You won't be able to tell the difference, unless you look for it, and you look very hard, and you know exactly what you are looking for.

Don't worry about it.

toddsimon

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2014
So bored waiting to pre-order it's come down...

watching family feud on GSN. What is everyone else doing to pass the time?

Djentleman

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
UK
That's what people said about iPad Air Retina and the iPad mini. But you could definitely see the iPad Air Retina had superior contrast.

Well i won't have the 6 to compare with my future 6+, so it saves me headaches. If the 6 has a better contrast ratio, good stuff. It needs something the 6+ doesn't.

saltd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
Thankfully, it looks like both phones will have the full RGB color gamut. The smaller color gamut move for the retina mini was a bit lame.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
That's what people said about iPad Air Retina and the iPad mini. But you could definitely see the iPad Air Retina had superior contrast.

I'm not sure Apple ever published contrast specs for the iPads? I was surprised to see it for the new iPhones.

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
As saltd mentioned, I believe it was the lack of the full sRGB standard on the retina iPad mini that was the cause of the issue that people had with its screen, not the contrast ratio itself. That said, that might also have played a part.

With regard to the new iPhones, I was just about to create a thread asking about contrast ratio and then I found this. I also noticed that the 6 Plus has 1300:1 whereas the regular 6 has 1400:1. Both of them are an improvement over the 5s' 800:1 but is there anyone on here that can explain contrast ratio a little better? Is there a limit to this x:x number with regard to the contrast quality? I've never paid attention to this before and have always been happy with the screens on my iOS devices. I little more understanding, however, never hurt. :)

UKapple73

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2014
Contrast ratio as far as I know is basically the ratio of the brightest white to the darkest black the display can do. So for AMOLED screens, the black is where the pixel is off, so it's infinite contrast ratio. For LCD, a figure of 1400:1 is very good. Modern LCD TVs use dynamic contrast trickery to get ratios in the millions. But a native 1400 will mean very good blacks. Hence that lovely screen they show on the pics with the black background

TommyA6

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2013
I was scrolling through the tech specs page and noticed that the 6 Plus has a lower contrast ration compared to the 6.

And to think I've made up my mind :rolleyes:

Both contrast ratios are better than any other Android phone out there (the ones that use LCD panels), and better than the contrast ratio of 5s, so it will hardly be a problem.

HTC one m8 contrast ratio: 1030:1
LG G3 contrast ratio: 720:1

saltd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
I wouldn't worry about it, or let it influence your choice. Contrast ratio specifications are a notoriously dubious measurement on LCD displays, and the values can vary from panel to panel within the same model. The only thing I hold my breath for every time I buy an Apple display is color uniformity. Mark my words, a week from now there will be a mess of threads complaining about yellowish tints and the book spine effect.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Both contrast ratios are better than any other Android phone out there (the ones that use LCD panels), and better than the contrast ratio of 5s, so it will hardly be a problem.

HTC one m8 contrast ratio: 1030:1
LG G3 contrast ratio: 720:1

You are cherry picking specs

Samsung S4 contrast ratio: 1747:1

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
You are cherry picking specs

Samsung S4 contrast ratio: 1747:1

The Galaxy line does have amazing contrast. But I really hope people aren't going to blow this issues out of proportion like OP sort of has (but understandably). You might notice comparing the 6 and 6 Plus side to side, but who will actually do that? I noticed the color gamut issue between the iPad mini and iPad Air. Ended up with the iPad Air for other reasons, but had I bought the mini I don't even think I would've cared during normal usage. I just wouldn't even notice. Contrast ratio is an even less significant issue at these levels.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Depends where the extra contrast is coming from. If it's on the brightness side, it likely makes no difference as both phones are plenty bright. If it's on the black level side, it could be a problem. When you are using iBooks in night mode in a dark room (for example), black level variations are very noticeable, even a small jump in black level can be annoying.

That said, it's probably not worth making a buying decision over, I am confident both screens will look amazing and be even better than any iPhone yet, including the already very good 5S.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.