iPhone 6 Plus - Microphone works but also doesn't work?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SPNarwhal, Feb 6, 2017.

1. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

My nephew's phone is having a weird issue.

I'll make this as short as possible:

The microphone works 100% fine when using Siri, Voice Recording, Talk to text, etc

but does not work whatsoever during a phone call; nobody can hear you saying anything at all when you call them from this phone.

What is going on here?

My thought was that Siri and such uses the noise cancelling mic at the top, so maybe the bottom microphone is broken (so doesn't work when making a phone call), but everything else works because it's a different mic? Not the issue, though, since Voice Recorder uses the bottom microphone and I've even blown into it while recording and all I can hear is the sound of air being blown into the mic.

Any ideas what's going on?

I plan to replace the bottom assembly where the mic is located, but I don't really understand why I'd do that seeing as I've already confirmed that the mic down there is fine. I just have no idea what's happening here.

How can the mic work fine, but turn itself off only during phonecalls?

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Does it not work when calls are taking using the regular earpiece? What about speakerphone while on a call?

3. SPNarwhal thread starter macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

I've tried both. Speaker phone and regular, but nothing. Person on the other end just hears nothing at all.

4. SPNarwhal thread starter macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

Any suggestions? I am going to replace the entire bottom assembly today otherwise (charging port, microphone, etc)

The thing that bothers me is that I know the microphone down there works.. it just seems to get deactivated during a phone call? I really don't understand what's going on.

It works 100% fine while doing voice recording.

5. Conan86, Feb 10, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2017

Conan86 macrumors 6502

I've had this issue with my iPhone 4, everything with get microphone works except during phone call. You can try using skype or FaceTime though as that should work. I believe it was some audio ic that handles cellular voice that broke, though some did mention changing the assembly worked, I wouldn't try that unless it's cheap

6. SPNarwhal thread starter macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

What assembly are you referring to?

7. Conan86 macrumors 6502

the bottom assembly as you mentioned..

8. jakeuten macrumors newbie

jakeuten

The bottom microphone handles calls. There is a second microphone located by the earspeaker that does all of the work for Siri. Replacing the bottom port will fix your issue. Also be sure to check for dust and grime.

Source: repair cellphones

9. SPNarwhal thread starter macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

I know both of those things, as stated in my post. Thing is, bottom mic actually works completely fine. I can even make FaceTime audio calls with it and it works fine. But for some reason gets disabled only during phone calls

10. SPNarwhal thread starter macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

Just replaced the entire bottom assembly and still won't make noise during phone calls.
    Here's a weird observation, though: When I tilt the screen up and down, I hear a crackling from the receiver side of the phone call. Is there something to do with the screen's flex cables and phone calls? He did have the screen replaced on this phone a while ago, so maybe they broke something while doing it?

11. HumbertM macrumors newbie

Im having the exact same issue with my iphone 6 plus i have done every thing for this to work, i send it to a repair shop and they told me it was the logic board.