iPhone 6 Plus or iPad Air 2?

SD456

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Hungary
Hello everyone!

I'm sure that a lot of people ask this question, but I would like to make a big leap, I've a iPhone 3G and a 4S and I would like to make an upgrade to an iPad or the new iPhone 6 Plus.

I love big phones, my brother owns an LG Optimus 3D and I just love how big it is, and the iPhone 6 Plus is even bigger! (yay!)

I love the camera in the 6 Plus, it is truly amazing that we have a phone camera with optical image stabilization, just amazing, You only see this kinda stuff in bigger cameras, and not in phones, that's a + for the 6+

On the other hand, I've never owned an iPad, but I always wanted one since the first one. I love browsing from my bed and from the couch with my iPhone 4S, but as You know the screen is just too little compared to an iPad. And also the iPad is faster than the iPhone(s).

Just to note, I love film making, short movies and I also love photography. (again, another plus for the 6+)

So, please help me decide between the two with some ideas, I cannot buy both, so that's not an option, sadly.

SD456

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Hungary
I would say both. They're different devices. One is a phone, the other a tablet.

Which do you need more importantly right now?
Well, the 6+ is the one that I need more importantly right now, as it have better camera than the iPad Air 2.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I sold my iPad Air and bought a 6+. I will be buying an Air2 this week as the 6+ does not replace an iPad.
curious.
for someone like you, with both an ipad and an iphone... what additional purpose/utility does the additional screen space on the plus give you?

i have an ipad and an iphone 6, not the plus

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
curious.
for someone like you, with both an ipad and an iphone... what additional purpose/utility does the additional screen space on the plus give you?

i have an ipad and an iphone 6, not the plus

Movies, magazines, web surfing, word processing, school, everything is better bigger.

3lionsbecks

Suspended
Jul 19, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I would love to do that, but I'm moving so that's why I'm short on money now. :/
You don't need to justify why you aren't buying both of these devices at the same time....they are quite expensive.

If I had to choose only one I would have to say iPhone 6+ because you are still using a 4s which is quite old and slow at this point.

I love having an iPad and use it daily at home but they aren't great for portability and I use my phone a lot more throughout the day. If you already had a 5s I'd say get the iPad.

I love the 6+ so far and if you love big phones you'll love it as well. (I also love my iPad so buy one of those when you can eventually as well! :p)

Kiimora

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2014
London UK
Guys...he cannot buy both presently! So i suggest you get the 6+ with a phone & some tablet functionalities albeit not a large screen but will suffice in the interim.

Then you can pick up a tablet when you can afford to later.:)

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I think they serve two slightly purposes though there's a lot of overlap. Given that the iPHone is much more portable then an iPad and that means you'll carrying that, I'd say an iPhone if you had to make a choice between the two.

goldnose

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2014
Like others have posted they are two different devices but I would go iPhone first and than later on get the air

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
iPhone 6+ for me.

I've actually done what many say you can't, and that is sold my iPad and now use my 6+ for everything. Whilst the even larger display of the iPad would be useful for some things, I find that it is perfectly possible to merge the two into one device.

I also expect for app developers to produce more enhanced apps for the 6+ which are more iPad like over time.

For that reason, I'm slightly surprised that Apple brought out such a large phone. I don't see it helping their already decreasing iPad sales figures.

TL;DR - iPhone 6 Plus.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Hello everyone!

I'm sure that a lot of people ask this question, but I would like to make a big leap, I've a iPhone 3G and a 4S and I would like to make an upgrade to an iPad or the new iPhone 6 Plus.

I love big phones, my brother owns an LG Optimus 3D and I just love how big it is, and the iPhone 6 Plus is even bigger! (yay!)

I love the camera in the 6 Plus, it is truly amazing that we have a phone camera with optical image stabilization, just amazing, You only see this kinda stuff in bigger cameras, and not in phones, that's a + for the 6+

On the other hand, I've never owned an iPad, but I always wanted one since the first one. I love browsing from my bed and from the couch with my iPhone 4S, but as You know the screen is just too little compared to an iPad. And also the iPad is faster than the iPhone(s).

Just to note, I love film making, short movies and I also love photography. (again, another plus for the 6+)

So, please help me decide between the two with some ideas, I cannot buy both, so that's not an option, sadly.
6+ 64gb or 128gb you have 14 day to change your mind.

techspin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
Well, the 6+ is the one that I need more importantly right now, as it have better camera than the iPad Air 2.
You answered your question! I'd also say 6+ for the portability. I think the iPad will be gratifying to use though, esp with the laminated display.

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
iPhone 6+ for me.

I've actually done what many say you can't, and that is sold my iPad and now use my 6+ for everything. Whilst the even larger display of the iPad would be useful for some things, I find that it is perfectly possible to merge the two into one device.

I also expect for app developers to produce more enhanced apps for the 6+ which are more iPad like over time.

For that reason, I'm slightly surprised that Apple brought out such a large phone. I don't see it helping their already decreasing iPad sales figures.

TL;DR - iPhone 6 Plus.
This. Also sold my iPad and iphone 5 and went with the 6+. Could not be happier with my new setup.

windywalks

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2004
It's not an either/or situation.
I currently have a 6 plus and an iPad 3.
I was thinking about ditching the iPad for the 6 plus but it's not that easy in my usage scenario. I use my iPad to take notes, view PDF files (news papers, codes etc.), read e-books and occasionally browse the internet when I'm not in the mood to use my computer. The thing is, the 6 plus can't really replace the iPad for me, as much as I would want it to.

The screen is too small to comfortably view PDF formatted newspapers (mind you it's still gargantuan for a phone) without doing a lot of scrolling and zooming and there is no way I can take notes efficiently without a portable keyboard. As far as e-books go we all know the way to go here is a Kindle since the iPad screen is a half measure in terms of eye fatigue in the long run.

So, if you have enough resources to get both, then get both. They're two completely different devices. But seeing as you are coming from a 4-series device the 6 plus is going to be one hell of a jump for you and a pleasure to use.

----------

This. Also sold my iPad and iphone 5 and went with the 6+. Could not be happier with my new setup.
I actually had the same setup - iPad 3 and iPhone 5, but it all boils down to your needs. I can't really replace the iPad with the 6 plus.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
between an iphone 6 plus and ipad mini 3 is a big IF..i don't see the need for the ipad mini 3 if you have 6+, but the ipad air 2 is a different story :D

i think this is the ideal case...
iphone 6 with ipad air 2 or
iphone 6+ with ipad air 2 also..
the ipad mini 3 is ok just for those who has first generation or none ipad. and doesn't have an iphone 6+

windywalks

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2004
Hello everyone!

If you're a movie/photo freak consider at least 64 if not 128 GB and go nuts :p