Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Do you currently use a 6 Plus and also an iPad Mini? (Or maybe you sold the Mini after using the 6 Plus.)

What I'd like to hear about specifically is how your deem the difference between watching a TV show or movie on a 6 Plus versus the Mini. Notice the difference in size?

I realize the 6 Plus operates at 16:9 and the Mini at 4:3. But even with that established my gut says the video itself that contains the actual content will still be noticeably larger on the Mini versus the 6 Plus. However I'd like to hear what others who have compared both feel.

mrcrlee

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2008
Do you currently use a 6 Plus and also an iPad Mini? (Or maybe you sold the Mini after using the 6 Plus.)

What I'd like to hear about specifically is how your deem the difference between watching a TV show or movie on a 6 Plus versus the Mini. Notice the difference in size?

I realize the 6 Plus operates at 16:9 and the Mini at 4:3. But even with that established my gut says the video itself that contains the actual content will still be noticeably larger on the Mini versus the 6 Plus. However I'd like to hear what others who have compared both feel.

I understand your question was regarding the iPad mini, but I had an iPad 4 ATT 32GB which I sold last week for $300. I had not used it after receiving the ip6+, moving up from 4s. I wasn't tempted to put down my 6+ and pick up the iPad. I think I'd be even less tempted to pick up an mini iPad.

Eau Rouge

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2013
I'm currently using an unlocked 6 Plus and own a rMini. I received the new phone as a gift and will be passing it along to a family member in a few weeks.

You are correct in that video is an overall better experience on an iPad mini but the difference, to me, is not huge. If you watch a lot of videos though, the iPad is better. It's a trade off and personally, I'm ok with the smaller screen of the 6 Plus.

I never intended on keeping the new phone because of its physical size but I've gotten used to it and only touch the iPad nowadays if the phone is charging. Problem is, my 6 Plus is only 16Gb which is not enough for my needs. Were it 64 or 128, I would sell off the mini and live with just a single iOS device and my Macs/PCs. The compromise is worthwhile for me. I'd just have to find new pants.

mikemj23

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
I actually gave the rMini to the kids and picked up the Air 2 today. Very much like the combo because I did not use the rMini much after I got the 6 Plus.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
I use my 6+ for telephony, audio, video and typing. 1080p without black bars is nice.

The mini i use for reading and browsing. Rarely do i play media on it unless i'm checking out a web link.

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
I'm currently using an unlocked 6 Plus and own a rMini. I received the new phone as a gift and will be passing it along to a family member in a few weeks.

You are correct in that video is an overall better experience on an iPad mini but the difference, to me, is not huge. If you watch a lot of videos though, the iPad is better. It's a trade off and personally, I'm ok with the smaller screen of the 6 Plus.

I never intended on keeping the new phone because of its physical size but I've gotten used to it and only touch the iPad nowadays if the phone is charging. Problem is, my 6 Plus is only 16Gb which is not enough for my needs. Were it 64 or 128, I would sell off the mini and live with just a single iOS device and my Macs/PCs. The compromise is worthwhile for me. I'd just have to find new pants.

LOL. Does saying your iPhone unlocked make you use your mini less? LOL. I sense bragging.

I have both and find myself using the mini less. Actually been using my Nexus 7 more for Netflix. I'm sure the mini has a place, but it's hard to use an older device when the new one is so much better. :D

jsmith189

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
LOL. Does saying your iPhone unlocked make you use your mini less? LOL. I sense bragging.

I have both and find myself using the mini less. Actually been using my Nexus 7 more for Netflix. I'm sure the mini has a place, but it's hard to use an older device when the new one is so much better. :D

Just curious, is there any reason you prefer to use the Nexus over the iPad for Netflix use?

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
Just curious, is there any reason you prefer to use the Nexus over the iPad for Netflix use?

Easier to hold. The speakers come from both sides versus single in mini. Both are equally good, but the nexus provides a better widescreen format.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
I do think long form video content would be a better experience on the iPad Mini. I also like to read digital magazines.

Rayy42

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2014
I just have a regular 6 and I still don't really use my iPad Mini to be honest

MTXR

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2008
95% rMini vs 6+ when I'm at home, everything is easier with a bigger screen. 100% 6+ when I'm at work or on the go.

CoyoteRidge

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014

The differences between watching a TV show or movie on a 6 Plus vs an iPad Mini? Let's see. The 6 Plus has a 5.5 inch diagonal display and the Mini has a 7.9 inch diagonal display. I'll just halt right there. You can infer the rest.

TommyilRomano

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2007
D.C.

I have no use for my Mini Retina now that i have the 6+. The only time I have used it was to upgrade to iOS 8.

mpfuchs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
VA
The differences between watching a TV show or movie on a 6 Plus vs an iPad Mini? Let's see. The 6 Plus has a 5.5 inch diagonal display and the Mini has a 7.9 inch diagonal display. I'll just halt right there. You can infer the rest.

But if you watch 16:9 on the iPad Mini, you can't count the black bars as screen size. Thus making the difference smaller than just 5.5 vs. 7.9 inch.

briankeith513

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I have an iPad mini with retina and iPhone 6 Plus, and use both. At 5.5", I don't feel that it can be truly compared to the mini at 7.9". The mini is definitely better for videos and readying books, etc.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
I still use my mini for books.

----------

Bragging? One can purchase an unlocked 6+, if that is what one desires. I'm typing on one right now.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
I have an iPad mini with retina and iPhone 6 Plus, and use both. At 5.5", I don't feel that it can be truly compared to the mini at 7.9". The mini is definitely better for videos and readying books, etc.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. For my travels when I'm watching long form video content it will still be more enjoyable on the Mini. I think the idea for some people is that the 6 Plus is 'good enough' for video viewing where they don't want to purchase a second device. But as a current Mini owner I don't think it makes sense to sell it and get a 6 Plus. Not a lateral move with long term video viewing and certainly not with digital magazines.

herekitikitty

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2014
After having a 6+, my iPad now mini feels odd in the hand. I prefer the 6+. Mr. Mini shall be headed to EBay!

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
i also have both the iPad mini retina and a iPhone 6+. I use the iPad mini 80% of the time... i love watching Netflix, hulu or slingplayer on my iPad, and i also like to surf on the iPad mini better, i read magazines, listen to music all on the iPad.. When i leave home ill do all the above on the iPhone 6+ because it's easier to handle when you out and about... i still carry the iPad mini with me since its a lte model, and find myself still using it sometimes even when I'm out, mostly in the car... Now that we can receive texts and mms, and phone calls on the ipad or mac the phone is less used... Even with a 5"5 inch phone i would never get rid of my iPad mini

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
i also have both the iPad mini retina and a iPhone 6+. I use the iPad mini 80% of the time... i love watching Netflix, hulu or slingplayer on my iPad, and i also like to surf on the iPad mini better, i read magazines, listen to music all on the iPad.. When i leave home ill do all the above on the iPhone 6+ because it's easier to handle when you out and about... i still carry the iPad mini with me since its a lte model, and find myself still using it sometimes even when I'm out, mostly in the car... Now that we can receive texts and mms, and phone calls on the ipad or mac the phone is less used... Even with a 5"5 inch phone i would never get rid of my iPad mini

Yeah this makes sense to me. It's funny but a lot of journalists were saying that the Mini would be unnecessary with the 6 Plus now. But I still see them as different experiences. Especially true if you don't really want to carry around a large phone everywhere.

themyst

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
The Mini is a better platform for gaming than the 6+, just my opinion. I have a Note 2 which is the same size screen-wise to the 6+ and I find gaming more enjoyable on the Mini. Not a true apples to apples, but you get the idea.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
95% rMini vs 6+ when I'm at home, everything is easier with a bigger screen. 100% 6+ when I'm at work or on the go.

Close for me - I use the mini mostly at home - I'd say about 75/25. 6+ when out and about is about 80/20. I do use the mini for video at the gym on cardio machines (elliptical, treadmill, bike).

I also had the first iPad Air, but was using it less and less at home, and after I got the 6+ I just never really used it anymore. So gave it to my daughter.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I had a retina mini and sold it after getting the 6+.

I just don't see a big difference especially in video viewing.

Also, I'm planning on getting an Air 2 for my iPad needs so a mini seemed redundant.

Essentially I've gone from a 5S/rMini combo to a 6+/Air 2 combo. I think the latter suits me better as I've gotten used to the larger display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.