iPhone 6 plus performance issue?

Zenton

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Hi,

I noticed something on Arstechnica's iPhone 6/6+ hands-on article.

The 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus looks and feels much bigger, and it's harder to hold one-handed. It has a 1080p display, though sleuthing from developer Steve Troughton-Smith has already discovered that these images are actually being rendered at 2208×1242 and downscaled to 1080p. The phone uses a new “3x” graphics mode that calls for assets three times the resolution they would have been on a standard iPhone. Apple used the same method to avoid scaling problems when moving from standard displays to “Retina” displays (2x mode).

We didn’t see any visible blurriness as a result of this scaling, though some UI animations and transitions seemed to be a little choppier than they are on the iPhone 6 or our iPhone 5S—we’ll need to wait for our full review to see just how the A8 chip handles the resolution change. On-screen buttons and other elements on the 6 Plus are a little larger than they are on the 6.
The article: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/09/hands-on-with-the-iphone-6-and-6-plus-apples-first-crack-at-big-phones/

Now I realize it is impossible to tell wether this is a real issue or not, but just a heads up. This caught my eye since I recall reading something about (early?) retina MacBook Pros having performance issues due to the very high resolution..?

Thoughts?

ionjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2013
Canada
Hi,

The article: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/09/hands-on-with-the-iphone-6-and-6-plus-apples-first-crack-at-big-phones/

Now I realize it is impossible to tell wether this is a real issue or not, but just a heads up. This caught my eye since I recall reading something about (early?) retina MacBook Pros having performance issues due to the very high resolution..?

Thoughts?
Dang, we're ordering in 2 days, it sucks that full reviews won't be out until after their releases

Zenton

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Dang, we're ordering in 2 days, it sucks that full reviews won't be out until after their releases
Yeah exactly, for the first time I'm not so bummed that the iPhone comes to my country in the "second wave" (09/26/14).

TommyA6

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2013
Hi,

Thoughts?
That is disappointing :(

richardbb85

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2009
from the few first hand videos i watched, the OS still lags when opening app or just browsing around. it just doesnt feel smooth like it's supposed to

jtp098

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Purchase
Come on it's 5.5'! How could there be performance issues! It's not all about the size the 4.7' will perform just as well if not better!:D

TommyA6

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2013
from the few first hand videos i watched, the OS still lags when opening app or just browsing around. it just doesnt feel smooth like it's supposed to
They should have made the A8 in the Plus model more powerful. If it really is the same chip as the one in 4,7" model, it obviously won't be able to have the same performance -_- .

So basically you can choose smaller screen (lower res, although still great), worse camera, but better performance... OR... Bigger screen (With higher resolution), better camera, but worse performance, and 100$ more...
:mad:

AnorexicPig

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Winnipeg,Canada/New Delhi India
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think A7 which is less powerful than A8 powers the iPads with higher resolution than what iPhone 6 plus will have. So I don't think it should stutter or lag.

PS: I am buying a 4.7, still would be quite shocked if iPhone 6 plus did not perform at par with its smaller sibling.

Zenton

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011

I can see this as well, or at least I think I can see. However the hands on videos aren't the best quality and we can't (can we?) know if the demo phones are actually final versions.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think A7 which is less powerful than A8 powers the iPads with higher resolution than what iPhone 6 plus will have. So I don't think it should stutter or lag.

PS: I am buying a 4.7, still would be quite shocked if iPhone 6 plus did not perform at par with its smaller sibling.
My thoughts exactly....

TommyA6

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2013

I own an iPad Air and it's performance is not on par with iPhone 5, let alone 5s in terms of smoothness. So this is a big deal if true.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH

This was my thought. I don't see it being an issue. The A7 in my retina mini handles the 2048x1536 resolution just fine with no slowdown or anything (at least not that I can perceive). That's 400,000 more pixels than the 6+.

TommyA6

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2013
Regardless it will still feel smoother than an Android phablet with a 2.5K display.
What android does or does not isn't important. I expect almost perfect, buttery smooth experience from Apple (just like it is on iPhone 5 and 5s). Unfortunately, iPad Air isn't on par with them. Animations stutter much more compared to iPhone 5 and 5s (especially screen rotation, keyboard rotation, Siri animations etc.).

spazma7ik

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2009
One of the biggest selling points for an iPhone to me is the overall buttery smoothness to the OS. If it stutters and lags for the iPhone 6 Plus, that would be devastating.

FrankySavvy

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
From all the videos I saw, I didn't notice any issues.

Wouldn't this be corrected with a software update anyway?

It would surprise me that if the iPad mini with retina, with a higher resolution has no problems, that an iPhone 6 plus with lower res would have an issue.

richardbb85

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2009
One of the biggest selling points for an iPhone to me is the overall buttery smoothness to the OS. If it stutters and lags for the iPhone 6 Plus, that would be devastating.
it stutters on my air, n supposedly the ipad has the fastest processor on the market...go figure

----------

I own an iPad Air and it's performance is not on par with iPhone 5, let alone 5s in terms of smoothness. So this is a big deal if true.
i hate when i lock my air, that click usually takes 1-2 secs to sound. it should be instant but oh well

Premium1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2013
Hi,

Thoughts?

That's interesting. Will be interested to see if apple fixes it if in fact it is an issue. Guess that's one reason to go with the smaller iPhone 6

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2011
This would be weird if true but yeah cant image them giving it slight speed bump w bigger battery

mateo124

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011

I was just about to say that. The iPad mini Retina never had any issues with the UI, and it was driving quite a few more pixels. Not only does the iP6 plus have less pixels but a processor that's speedier as well. I have a hard time believing that this isn't something that would be ironed out by release, if not shortly after.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
I was just about to say that. The iPad mini Retina never had any issues with the UI, and it was driving quite a few more pixels. Not only does the iP6 plus have less pixels but a processor that's speedier as well. I have a hard time believing that this isn't something that would be ironed out by release, if not shortly after.
Is it possible that what's taxing the device is the fact that the resolution is downscaled?