iPhone 6 plus -- retina?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by myname70, Sep 14, 2014.

1. myname70 macrumors 6502a

I am wondering if the current iPhone 6plus display is really Retina display or not? 1920x1080 res is not consistent in the previous discussions for 3x retina definition....

2. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

3. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Boom.

4. myname70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

What is the definition and specification of Retina HD display ? (My contact lenses are named HD as well :) )

5. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

6. myname70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks :) But for example - what is the difference between LG G2 display - 1080 x 1920 pixels, 5.2 inches (~424 ppi pixel density) -- is it Retina HD as well?

7. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

You didn't actually read the Wikipedia article, did you?

The LG G2 is NOT Retina HD because the terms "Retina Display" and "Retina HD" are only used by Apple. It's not a standard.

8. myname70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sure, I forgot to put Retina HD in brackets "Retina HD". I meant - is LG G2 display better then iPhone 6plus in terms of pip/quolity since it has 424 ppi ?(not mention G3with much higher ppi )

9. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

As well as camera quality isn't determined by megapixels, display quality isn't determined by ppi. Yes, 424ppi is better than 401ppi, but your eye won't see the difference, especially when it's just 23ppi difference.

10. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Yes it is better - by 23 PPI. Whether you'll be able to notice the difference is a different story.

11. Izauze macrumors 6502

Retina display is just a marketing term created by apple to describe a screen that is supposedly so high in pixel count/detail, that it exceeds the ability of the human eye to distinguish that detail (from normal viewing distances).

For phones, the general benchmark has been 300 ppi. In this system, anything over that had been considered kinda just unnecessary.

The Retina HD distinction just signifies that now both iPhone screens are above the retina threshold AND exceed the two main thresholds to be considered "HD" in the world of TV - 720 and 1080.

So yes, using that system on your LG G2, the resolution would indeed qualify as Retina HD.

12. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

It's not all about the PPI.

It's all about the screen quality. I garontee, when the reviews come in, and the comparisons are drawn. The new displays in the 6, and 6Plus, will show they are one of the best available. Dispute lower PPI.

The screen in the Z1 has a higher PPI then both new 6's but it was one of the worst screens of its time.

Screen in the G3 has MegaSuperHigh®™ PPI But reduces brightness by half almost constantly to stop it from overheating due to it having a 2K screen.

And those are just two examples. You'll find most phones with those 2K screens have low brightness.

13. robostig macrumors member

QHD makes a difference, but then again so does screen size, and display quality and lots of other things. Make no mistake if apple announced a qhd super retina display for the 6+, everyone would be praising tim cook for it.

6+ will be my first iPhone, and I'm looking forward to it, but I'm not a member of the church of apple quite yet.

http://www.androidauthority.com/quad-hd-vs-1080p-comparison-359430/

14. myname70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

15. Bishope1999 macrumors regular

The pixel difference between the iPhone 6 Plus and the LG G2 doesn't make a difference because they are both 1920x1080. The ppi is determined by resolution and screen size. If they both have the same resolution, but one device is larger than the other, the larger device will have a smaller ppi, but they will both include the same amount of visual information. No increase or decrease in visual infomation as long as the resolution is the same. The iPhone 6 Plus could have been a 8 inch phone, which would have given it a 275ppi with the same 1080p resolution, and it would still provide the same visual information and sharpness. In fact, an iPhone 6 Plus like that, would still look better than the 4.7 inch iPhone with it's 326ppi and 1334x750 resolution.

The best way to determine the sharpness and visual detail of a display is with the resolution and not by the ppi. The ppi is a pretty poor way to do so since the ppi will be very different with each screen size and different resolutions.

I also feel that "Retina HD" was a poor marketing term. If Apple didn't want to go with the industry standards to describe the resolution originally, but chose to go with the "Retina" marketing and their ppi standard, they should not have incorporated the HD name into their "Retina" marketing. Call it Retina plus or something, but the problem now is that people will be confused thinking their iPad's with "retina display" aren't HD because they are not called "Retina HD, when that is simply not true.

16. cynics macrumors G4

This exactly. Thats why the 326ppi of the iPhone 6 is better then the 401ppi of the 6+ because of its higher contrast ratio. /s

17. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

Exactly, and don't forget about the almost leet pixel resolution.

18. myname70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Will see next week.. Yes, 6+ has a little bit lower contrast vs 6, but the 6 is less resolution and less ppi.. that is why I think at overall - 6+ will have better visual screen :)

19. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Brackets? I think they're called quotation marks.

20. bouldermac macrumors member

Hahahaha

21. myname70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sure

22. nickchallis92 macrumors 6502a

nickchallis92

When it comes to high end phones, you can pretty much assume all screens at "Retina HD" given that iPhone screen resolutions are typically on the low end.

23. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

Yes, maybe that's the reason why it was sarcasm...

24. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

If it helps, there are (and have been for a while) phones that are better than "retina HD". All retina is is a term Apple put to what they decided was the perfect ppi for indistinguishable pixels at a distance most people use the device.

25. Ayr macrumors 6502

There was a guy earlier asking for a 'facetime' alternative.

I nearly died of profound sadness.