iPhone 6 Plus screen Unresponsive

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPad Retina, May 21, 2016.

1. iPad Retina macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

Hello!,

My 6 Plus screen went unresponsive with the grey bar at the top. It's the second time this had happened. What causes this?

Thanks

2. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

My friends 6 Plus does the exact same thing. Sometimes the glitchiness of the display grows down almost the whole display. He literally slaps the top of the device against his hand to get it to work again. I don't know if I would recommend this but yeah I think it's a failing LCD/Digitizer or the respective connector to the logic board. Maybe the LCD/digitizer controller on the logic board.

3. Aditya_S macrumors 6502

When you say grey bar, what do you mean? Does it look like something went wrong with the screen or does it say something on it?

4. cababah macrumors 68000

When my 6+ did this, I found out it was actually bent which was causing a loose connection with the display cable and causing an unresponsive touch screens and glitchy images. Check to make sure it isn't bent as even a very slight bend can cause this.

5. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

It's at the top of the screen

6. cababah macrumors 68000

Set it face down on a flat surface to see if it's bent at the top

7. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

8. chabig macrumors 68040

What's at the top of the screen? I don't know what you mean by "grey bar".

9. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

That's what I mean.

Attached Files:

10. chabig macrumors 68040

Thank you. That helps. Is that the normal color of that bar (I believe it's called the status bar)? Or are you saying that the gray bar appears and then the screen freezes?

Regardless, I would suggest rebooting the phone. If that doesn't fix it, you might consider backing it up to iTunes, restoring to factory settings, and then restoring it from the backup. If that all fails, it probably has to go to Apple for warranty service.

11. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

Yes, the grey bar appears and then the screen freezes. I've rebooted it and the lines still appear, even while booting up. But I know that restoring it back to factory settings won't do anything because when when i hold the phone tight, it works again. I'm pretty sure it a physical hardware problem.

This is the worst I've seen, my last one wasn't as bad.

12. chabig macrumors 68040

That would have been good to mention up front. It's could be a loose connector. Apple will take care of that.

13. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

Sorry about not mentioning it :(

14. cababah, May 22, 2016
    Last edited: May 22, 2016

cababah macrumors 68000

Yep that's exactly what mine looked like. I had to either tap the back near the top or press it hard to temporarily fix it. Ended up taking it to an Apple Store where they showed me it was slightly bent. I told them it's been in a case since I got it and I've always been super careful (which is true) and they ended up replacing it for me for free as a courtesy despite it being out of warranty.

15. Zephyres macrumors newbie

I had the exact same issue on an iPhone 6 Plus. Took it to Apple Store and since my phone was out of warranty they charged me $329 for a replacement.

Luckily I bought the phone with a credit card that offered an extended warranty and they just sent me a check for $329.

16. AbeFrohman macrumors 6502

AbeFrohman

Suddenly having the same problem. iPhone 6 Plus - always in a case, never in a back pocket or dropped, etc. I thought it was tied to the 9.3.2 update since that's when it started, but after reading this and other threads, it sounds like a hardware issue. Going to try a restore and see if that does anything as my last ditch effort before schlepping off to the Apple Store. Screen unresponsiveness getting worse over the past 24 hours.

Hoping I can correct it and/or Apple is helpful.

17. Aditya_S macrumors 6502

It might be that 9.3.2 changed something which triggered the hardware issue. The hardware issue was there already, but maybe the 9.3.2 update caused it to be apparent.

18. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I second the loose connection hypothesis.

19. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

I wish the screen became became unresponsive now. I missed a preformance of one of my friends singing. Had to use my 5S and was over exposed. Since I couldn't adjust it in ios 7. :(:oops:

20. Picapau21 macrumors 6502

Reviving an old thread but I have the same problem. Taking it into apple today.

If i bend the screen near the top left it becomes usable again.

Its out of warranty which is the only problem

21. Zephyres macrumors newbie

If it's out of warranty they might want to charge you

22. Picapau21 macrumors 6502

The replaced it under UK consumer law.

They also did a diagnostic and said due to multiple app's crashing in the background i should do a clean install. Wondering if an iCloud back up will be enough as i can really lose all my messages.

What do you think?

23. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

I've once again have a unresponsive display. No vertical lines but. Yeah. THREE TIMES