iPhone 6 Plus - So close, but should I return?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zoonyx, Sep 22, 2014.

1. zoonyx macrumors 6502

Firstly, I know I will be critisised for starting another 'vs' thread, but come on - this is a forum, and none of the other threads I found were a perfect fit for this.

I luckily managed to secure a 128gb Plus over the weekend, and I've been using it pretty much non-stop as you can imagine.

I love it. I really do. There's moments where you're using it and think this is the greatest thing I've ever seen. It is truely an iPhone/iPad combo, and kinda does a job on both - I don't really need an iPad now. 2 handed its a dream - a tablet, that fits in my pocket and I can drag around with me anywhere.

So all good, but I still might/probably will return it. I know it's picky, but maybe 5" I would have managed, but I just can't use it one-handed. I'm 6ft 4, pretty large hands but I have to put an hours effort into hitting the 'P' button with my left hand etc. It's just too big.

Also, as anyone noticed how the landscape keyboard, which I thought would be amazing, is a pain to use? The central keys are too far away.

So in summary: I'm seriously considering taking it back, and I'd like some support and comments as to whether I should

and also, what are the chances of someone releasing a better Plus keyboard - even if it looks horrible - how about an off-centre keyboard that only uses 3/4 of the screen width? That might sway me.

I also went into the apple store yesterday and thought the 6 was a really nice device to hold. I'm truely not looking to force my opinion or fight which phone is best btw.

tl;dr : Shall I take my Plus back? Please make me a keyboard.

2. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

I rarely have the urge to use just one hand. Too slippery.

I always use both of my hands. Feels real good that way.

3. SundayDuffer macrumors 6502

SundayDuffer

There isnt a perfect phone for anyone..not today..not in the future. I say go with your gut...if you are not happy then y hang on to it.. Return it while you can. Gl.

4. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

I'd take it back. No way in hell I would ever buy a phone that always required two hands to operate. For me it's simply a matter of comfort.

It's like when I'm driving my car, if I always had to have two hands on the wheel it wouldn't be nearly as comfortable as having one hand on the wheel. Just something about having a hand free for other tasks I wouldn't be able to give up.

This is why I stuck with the 5s (and will continue to do so for a long time) as the size is outstanding imo, but I would assume the 6 would be great for you and just right.

Good luck in your choice :)

5. zoonyx thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh I know - and trust me, I know it's sad, but I'm not overstating, there are moments where I just absolutely love it. Sat waiting for a takeaway last night, sat down using it. It's amazing.

It's just the moments where I feel it's too big, I'm holding on to it for dear life so I don't drop it etc.

I just can't decide whether to stick it out or return and give in. I'm not one of these 'it looks ridiculous' types - I'm just in between! Make me a 5" iPhone. Cheers!

----------

Pretty sure my gut is saying take it back. But that fact makes me sad. So there lies the confusion!

6. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

I agree with your opinions. I used the 6+ for one day and the 6 for one day too. Browsing the internet or reading text is a dream on the 6+ but just scrolling through music or sending a text message is more convertible for me, one-handed, on the iPhone 6.

I kinda think Apple made a huge mistake introducing both the 6 and 6+ this year. They really should have let people get used to the 4.7" display before introducing the 5.5".

7. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

All about dat' $$$ tho :cool:

[​IMG]

8. zoonyx thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah - Sending texts 2 handed portrait is also a dream. and weirdly I seem to use the internet more in portrait, despite using my Air mostly landscape.

I can't get my hands on a 6 yet, so I'll keep it at least til the weekend I guess and see how it goes.

9. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

With apple bezels I think a 5 inch or something around that like 5.2 would have been perfect. To me the 4.7 is too small and the 5.5 is just a bit too big.

10. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

Too much text gets cut off in landscape on the iPhone.

11. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Don't know if it will help but my 6' 2" friend returned his Plus and loves his 6. He said the Plus was very nice but a bit much to carry and deal with all day.

Many others will come to your same conclusion.

12. SundayDuffer macrumors 6502

SundayDuffer

Ive been using the sony z ultra, which is a 6.4 for the last 6 months. Im so used to it now. The Plus will be a downsizing for me. By using both hands, ive never ever dropped my phone. At least, that is one positive factor for me.

13. zoonyx thread starter macrumors 6502

Think that's it. If money was no object, I'd love it as an iPad Mini Mini that I could take out sometimes, rather than an iPhone AND my iPad (As I sometimes do!). I know we are apple people here, and money isn't all that important, but its also roughly £100 more than the 6, and with the issues I've mentioned, I'm wondering whether I should be paying £100 extra to not be 100% happy.

That is very true, and the whole 'texting while driving' thing is also interesting - there is no way you could with the plus - which for me is a good thing, because I have been tempted in the past with my iPhones and it's unsafe and stupid...

14. kinster macrumors 6502a

kinster

I've got the 128gb plus and I absolutely love it. If you are not 100% happy with it just return it. The standard 6 is a nice phone too. It's a hard choice but both phones are good.

15. CaptMarvel macrumors 65816

CaptMarvel

+1

16. eagleglen macrumors 65816

eagleglen

I had the 6 Plus for about two and a half days, during which I tried my hardest to get used to the large size. My complaint is the same as yours, such that I can't use it comfortably single handed. I'm right handed so my biggest problem was hitting the numbers key on the lower left side. Not only does this interfere with typing numbers but also displaying the punctuation keys, including the question mark. Also, I was constantly shifting the phone in my hand to reach whatever and I imagine it was only a matter of time before I dropped it.

Consequently, I exchanged it today for the 6 at an Apple Store. Good thing I wasn't trying to do the reverse because who knows when the Pluses will be readily available in stock. Since it's an exchange, you can not reserve one online which will make getting one particularly difficult. The 6 I wanted was in stock but it was a 3 hour wait for a sales person.

I'll miss that screen though; I was really awe struck by it. The 6 is better than the 5s, but the Plus was better, which is to be expected from the stats. I just didn't think I'd notice the difference as much as I did. I'm really hoping the new iPads offer a similar experience.

I've now had the 6 for a few hours and I'm pretty certain I made the right decision. Every time I pick it up, it feels so much more natural. Good luck with your decision.

17. zoonyx thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks mate.

I won't be exchanging - I'll just reserve, buy, and return the plus at the same time.

Maybe things are different over in the US, but this is fine in the UK, and I suspect simpler for the apple store staff too.

18. timmysurf macrumors newbie

I was in the same boat as you, had the phone since Friday and just could not get used to the phone and I was trying to make excuses for why I thought I should keep it. Traded in for a "normal" 6 earlier today and it was the right decision, much easier to use on a day-to-day basis. No doubt movies and games looked better on the bigger screen, but I use more for calling, emails, texts, which is just an easier task on the iPhone 6.

I'm sure everyone in line wanted to kill me for exchanging it, but unless you've had one for a few days, it's hard to understand. Especially since the 6+ is so hyped and hard to get.

19. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

I returned mine for a regular 6 and have not looked back. It comes down to preference it was just too big for me to use daily with ease. If i could use its as a 2nd phone that would be great.

20. kojo0513 macrumors member

PM ME! I have a Gold iPhone 6 128GB that I might want to trade for a 6+

21. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

The 6+ is definitely not the best way to pull off a 5.5inch phone.

22. sprungson macrumors member

bigger is better. Women will never complain when they see that big thing on you. The iPhone +, that is.

23. Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

This! This is a brilliant idea. I'm in the same predicament as you. Love the Plus, hate using it one handed and reaching for the top left corner as I'm right handed, but that's what reachability is for. Something like SwiftKey and the above mentioned would be perfect for one handed use. It's amazing when using it with two hands.

24. highlightshadow macrumors regular

I returned my + for 2 factors:
    1. several games shows marked performance degredation compared to my wife's 6 thus leading me to suspect we're still in the territory of 'retina tax'
    I returned an iPad mini retina within 2 days of launch for same reason, although i'm not ruling out iOS8 bugs so could have changed.

2. Length of 6+ ... it needs to be 1/4-1/2" shorter ... would be perfect... i get that we can't shorten the bottom without changing the touchid sensor in some way and i don't think Apple would like a non-equal bezel

I just felt that when i was holding it 1 handed without a case i had to hold onto it tightly which didn't make for best comfort experience

Do miss the screen though .... was amazing in its contrast and tonality and so sharp and battery was significantly bigger.
    If they made a 5.2/5.3 version with same res next year might be more ideal

25. 66gonzo macrumors regular

I've been toying with this idea as well. I LOVE the 6 Plus for all the reasons that you have said and really haven't had any issues with having it on me during day-to-day use, but having to always use two hands to reply to texts (or even dial the phone) is a bit cumbersome and has made me question the purchase. Verizon's Edge program allows me to swap out yearly, so I don't think I'll swap out only because I had said that I wanted to give it a year to decide whether the 5.5" screen is really for me or not.