Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ggpike

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2006
Each person is different and height really has nothing to do with it. I'm about 5'8" and have no trouble using the 6 plus one handed. It took a little adjusting to how I hold the phone but after a few days I've already gotten used to it. I consider myself to have pretty average sized hands. After using the 6 plus even for just a few days I'm not sure I could ever go back to a smaller size unless it was a very slight decrease.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Don't know if it will help but my 6' 2" friend returned his Plus and loves his 6. He said the Plus was very nice but a bit much to carry and deal with all day.

Many others will come to your same conclusion.

And many will not.

The iPhone 6 Plus was not meant to be a one handed device. If you want or need a one handed device stick with the 5s or the 6

i hate phones

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Philly Suburbs, PA
I am in the exact same boat. i'm so torn. currently have a plus. wish they would have made a 5"... the 5.5 is JUST too wide for me to be able to use 1 handed without maintaining a good grip on the phone.

for those that have exchanged for a 6.... have you noticed a big change in the quality of the display? what about battery life? I'm coming from a 5 which couldn't get me through the day. I've been loving the battery life on the 6 plus so far.

PLamarine

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
Central MA
I had the 6 Plus for about two and a half days, during which I tried my hardest to get used to the large size. My complaint is the same as yours, such that I can't use it comfortably single handed. I'm right handed so my biggest problem was hitting the numbers key on the lower left side. Not only does this interfere with typing numbers but also displaying the punctuation keys, including the question mark. Also, I was constantly shifting the phone in my hand to reach whatever and I imagine it was only a matter of time before I dropped it.

Consequently, I exchanged it today for the 6 at an Apple Store. Good thing I wasn't trying to do the reverse because who knows when the Pluses will be readily available in stock. Since it's an exchange, you can not reserve one online which will make getting one particularly difficult. The 6 I wanted was in stock but it was a 3 hour wait for a sales person.

I'll miss that screen though; I was really awe struck by it. The 6 is better than the 5s, but the Plus was better, which is to be expected from the stats. I just didn't think I'd notice the difference as much as I did. I'm really hoping the new iPads offer a similar experience.

I've now had the 6 for a few hours and I'm pretty certain I made the right decision. Every time I pick it up, it feels so much more natural. Good luck with your decision.

Agree with this post 100% and I also returned the Plus for a 6 (only took me 15 minutes though).

nixiemaiden

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
I kind of agree with you. I went to the Apple store over the weekend and checked out the 4.7" and 5.5". The 5.5" just seemed too big and the 4.7" just didn't seem big enough to be worth upgrading. I absolutely love the length and width of my husbands Nexus 5 so was pretty disappointed that I didn't really like the way either of these felt in hand :-/

I really wanted to get an Apple Watch when they came out but now with not really liking the new phones I'm just not sure. I read a bunch of reviews that said that they are awkward at first but you get used to it. I just don't understand why when I use my husband's Nexus, it doesn't feel awkward. I just have never really liked Android...although the battery life on my 5s is pretty terrible since upgrading to iOS 8 so who knows what I like anymore.

PLamarine

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
Central MA
I am in the exact same boat. i'm so torn. currently have a plus. wish they would have made a 5"... the 5.5 is JUST too wide for me to be able to use 1 handed without maintaining a good grip on the phone.

for those that have exchanged for a 6.... have you noticed a big change in the quality of the display? what about battery life? I'm coming from a 5 which couldn't get me through the day. I've been loving the battery life on the 6 plus so far.

The 6 screen is IMHO just as nice as the Plus; obviously the Plus size screen is bigger, but not visually better.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
I kind of agree with you. I went to the Apple store over the weekend and checked out the 4.7" and 5.5". The 5.5" just seemed too big and the 4.7" just didn't seem big enough to be worth upgrading. I absolutely love the length and width of my husbands Nexus 5 so was pretty disappointed that I didn't really like the way either of these felt in hand :-/

I really wanted to get an Apple Watch when they came out but now with not really liking the new phones I'm just not sure. I read a bunch of reviews that said that they are awkward at first but you get used to it. I just don't understand why when I use my husband's Nexus, it doesn't feel awkward. I just have never really liked Android...although the battery life on my 5s is pretty terrible since upgrading to iOS 8 so who knows what I like anymore.

The Nexus 5 is probably the most perfect sized phone I've ever used.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
And many will not.

The iPhone 6 Plus was not meant to be a one handed device. If you want or need a one handed device stick with the 5s or the 6

I never said it was to be a one handed device.

We all just laughed like hell when he pulled it out of the box and saw how big it was. All is good now as he returned and bought the 6 like the rest of us!

golfdude

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2005
2 handed texting in portrait on my note 3 is perfect, can only imagine it is on the 6+ too.

Yep! I have been rather vocal on the 6+ being to big to be functional, but the more I play with it the more it grows on me. I was in the ATT store today just playing with one, every time I tried to use it one handed I dropped it when I wasn't focusing. But two handed it's very easy to type with, actually easier type two handed with it then the 6, but that's not surprising. The screen is awesome and I thought it was snappy. I am really tempted to trade in one of my extra iPhones (have 2 extra iPhone 5's and 2 extra iPhone 5s's) and add it to my mobile share plan with the next program. I would let the 6s grow on you a little bit more. My 6 does rock, I do like it a lot.

i hate phones

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Philly Suburbs, PA
The size and specifics were known prior to release. I'm not sure how anyone is surprised by the size after the fact.

I don't think its about being surprised... some things you just don't know until you actually use it. You can carry around all the cardboard cutouts you want but its not the same as actually using the device. I was torn when I preordered and I'm still torn.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
But still - the exact dimensions are available prior to purchase. How one can be so far off the mark that they find it unacceptable after proceeding with purchase shows a complete lack of foresight. It's simply as big as it is. There's no unknown here.

vigilant

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Nashville, TN
Yeah, this totally is a grab bag it seems like.

For me it's slightly difficult one handed, but the only thing that bothers me right now is the upper left hand corner. Reachability fixes this for me though in one handed mode.

I've gone back and forth, but the productivity increase is so big using the bigger screen on apps that actually render at the right resolution that it's hard to ignore or argue with.

I was looking at a Statement of Work in Pages earlier today, and was able to make most of the edits on it very very easily from the phone. I've never been able to do this kind of work comfortably on the iPhone before.

i hate phones

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Philly Suburbs, PA
But still - the exact dimensions are available prior to purchase. How one can be so far off the mark that they find it unacceptable after proceeding with purchase shows a complete lack of foresight. It's simply as big as it is. There's no unknown here.

This isn't like buying a TV that doesn't fit in your TV cabinet... I actually had to use the device for a while to determine if it was going to work for me or not. and I still don't know... sounds like lots can't decide. don't know how being unsure is "so far off the mark."

I love the size of it for 2 handed use, what I didn't realize was how "critical" the few times I rely on being able to use it 1 handed were.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.