Iphone 6 plus will be discontinued next month

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ricktat, Aug 11, 2015.

1. ricktat macrumors 65816

This is my opinion and rumor.

There will still be a 6S Plus but the 6 Plus will stop. No last years version for the 6 Plus. Apple will discontinue this because of the upgraded 6S Plus frame, but this will never be discussed. The 6 Plus issues or non issues will be gone for good.

This also makes sense because the 6 Plus is their most expensive phone and a $100 wouldn't keep someone from buying a 6S Plus.

The Iphone 5 only had a similar 1 year run and there were design issues with that phone too. My opinion again.

2. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

Maybe. What design issues did the 5 have?

3. Broadus macrumors 6502a

I suspect that's a good guess.

4. eyoungren, Aug 11, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2015

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Assuming for the moment that you are 100 percent correct. That will be a good laugh on me.

That would make strike two in my purchase history of the Apple iPhone. One and done with the iPhone 5 and the 6+.

As to issues with the iPhone 5. Well…scuffgate, purple haze, bendgate, battery issues and home button failures to name a few.

5. ipadpro macrumors 6502a

ipadpro

i dont like word plus either instead of iphone ,,,

iphone way is S ... that it ....

6. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

The 5 had no design issues. They only ended it to cost reduce, put it's internals in plastic for the 5C as a cost reduction.
    Re-purposed their tooling and aluminum production lines for the 5S.

That was all cost savings. It makes sense to do that again. End the 6/6+ in order to re-purpose their assembly lines.

7. JohnApples macrumors 65816

I would not be surprised at all. It's a weird situation this time, with 2 flagship devices, and one sporting a $100 additional premium. The lineup would be very confusing, I think, with 5 iPhones.

If Apple followed their typical process of deducting $100 of the previous year's model, the 6 Plus would be the same price as the 6S. I really think that would cannibalize 6S sales, as the average consumer would see two identical phones, save for screen size, and think it's a no-brainer to get the larger one for the same price as the smaller one.

That's how I see it anyway. I could be wrong, but I do think the OP is correct.

8. Trickhot3102 macrumors 6502

Trickhot3102

Agreed. I think the 6 and 6+ will be like the iPhone 5 in the fact it only got a one year run. They may put the internals of the 6 in a plastic shell and call it the 6c

9. digitalcuriosity macrumors regular

From what i have read and from my own short experiences with my iPhone6, the iPhone6 has worked well and is a solid iPhone.
    With Samsung and LG along with many other phone Mfg.s getting ready to bring new phones to the market. Apple needs to move ahead with their new phones.
    Apple has not had much success with their new Watch, and sales in China of other products have fallen Apple was looking for sales in China to be big..
    This is causing concern with many big Apple investors who were looking forward to a great new product from Apple this has not happened.
    Apple badly needs sales and their thinking this policy if it's really true in regards to the iPhone6, will move people into the iPhone6s.

10. ricktat thread starter macrumors 65816

Yup.. Even some have special policies with Apple. Others Don't.
    https://www.apple.com/support/iphone5-battery/

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone5-sleepwakebutton/

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I'm not crying for Apple.

Apple spends over $700,000 a year just for security for Tim Cook. Apple makes a speculated 50-60% markup on the iPhone.

Now if you're meaning that in the context of "Apple badly needs sales…to satisfy the stockholders" then, ok. But Apple is hardly in any danger of bankruptcy because of one underperforming product.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Seems reasonable to me. I think they will keep the 6 as the new entry model.

13. digitalcuriosity macrumors regular

I never posted Apple was close to any bankruptcy, i was remarking in regards to the stock holders wanting improved or higher sales from Apple.

14. businezguy macrumors 6502

I think you're right as well, Ricktat. Even if Apple planned on keeping the iPhone 6 and 6+, the issue with bending (err, I mean non-issue) would force Apple to change their plans. Right now Apple is keeping mum on the bending issue since there are close to 100 million phones in the wild (and in all fairness only a small number of them will be impacted by the issue). However, Apple also has to think about their profit margins. Heaven forbid Apple offer larger screens at lower cost prices, customers might buy them. Nope, Apple wants to keep the 4.8 inch and 5.5 inch market in the $650 to $750 price range.

15. Rayy42 macrumors 6502

Rayy42

This is what I think too. 5s is $0.01, 6 is $99 (only in 16GB option), 6S is $199, and 6S Plus is $299.

I don't see a C version coming out this year.

16. karmatourer macrumors 6502a

karmatourer

None of those issues on mine.Move along.

17. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

None of those issues on my iPhone 5 either, thanks.

18. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

The 6 isn't going anywhere. The 6 is the reason Apple stopped production on the 6c. They want the 6 as a legacy product because of how well it has sold.

At least that's what I've been reading...

19. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

This is exactly the lineup I envision. However I think the 6 could have two storage options similar to the5s this year.

20. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

This may turn out to be true, and maybe even the 6 will be discontinued for a plastic 6c. I think that with the 5s/5c Apple may have been establishing the precedent that they only want one premium phone at a time for a given design/form factor. The 6s and 6s+ may be taking over with the 6 and 6+ discontinued or at least put inside a cheaper plastic chassis.

21. QquegChristian macrumors 6502

My launch day iPhone 5 came with scuffs and a small ding in it.

After about a year it started shutting off with 20-40% battery remaining. Nothing I did would stop it. I ordered a kit and replaced the battery myself, which I will never do again as there was so much glue and I thought I was going to break the phone the whole time. One month later there was a recall and my serial number was indicated.

A few months after that, the sleep/wake button died. Then there was a recall for that. Again, my phone was involved in that recall as well.

My wife's iPhone 5 also came scuffed but did not have the other 2 issues and was not in either recall.

That generation really made me feel like a fool as I lived with both the battery and button issues for months before the recalls. It was a total lemon for me and I switched both of our phones to Android (HTC M8) instead of the 5S or 6.

But then a few months ago I got so pissed at the Android phone that we switched back to an iPhone 6. I tried to speak with my wallet, but really just ended up delaying giving Apple my money for 8 months or so! Oh well. It's just that the grass really isn't greener.

22. I7guy macrumors G5

You had all of those issues? I still see original iPhone 5's around; with battery issues being the most common form of issue on mobile phones. I suspect out of the tens of millions sold there were some that had some issues.

I do think the 6 and 6+ will be discontinued and a smaller factor phone form will be announced.

23. I7guy macrumors G5

I thought Apple was very pleased with the sales of their new watch given the market such as it is. As an investor I'm pleased.

24. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Oh no. My iPhone 5 was just fine. Ok. I had a mic problem within the first two months and it was replaced, and a swollen battery a year after that (again replaced) but all in all the iPhone 5 was solid for me.

I brought all those issues up as a counterpoint to the OP on there not being any issues at all regarding the iPhone 5.