iPhone 6 rattles - is it normal?

KimHansenDK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
My new iPhone 6 rattles when I shake it or tap on the top part. I don't think that it is loose buttons because it still rattles when covering them. I guess the rattling sound is from the camera (lenses). Is it normal? Or do I need to take it in for a swap?

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
My new iPhone 6 rattles when I shake it or tap on the top part. I don't think that it is loose buttons because it still rattles when covering them. I guess the rattling sound is from the camera (lenses). Is it normal? Or do I need to take it in for a swap?
dont worry, after it bends a little the rattle should be gone.

KimHansenDK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Okay, that makes sense. A bit of the rattling seems to come from the silent button as well, but I guess that is normal as well?

Cojm

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2014
Also, the vibration motor can rattle, as well as the many motion detection bits

TruckdriverSean

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2009
Texas, US
Okay, that makes sense. A bit of the rattling seems to come from the silent button as well, but I guess that is normal as well?
Sounds normal.

Every iPhone for the last 4+ years has had movable elements in the camera. Tapping will result in those parts vibrating and hence a small sound.

And due to the way vibrations move through objects, your likely to hear the sound differently from different angles.

While it is possible for a power button to be loose, that is super easy to rule out through feel and function.

----------

Mine doesn't rattle at all...
Tap the back of your phone near the led flash like your typing on a mechanical keyboard. You'll hear the camera elements vibrate. If you don't hear it, switch to your other ear (Ok, maybe that's just my case due to some high frequency hearing loss on one side. :)

KimHansenDK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
If the silent button is not pushed down it rattles less. World you guys take it in for something like this? Or is this just the way the iPhone 6 has been constructed?

beluba

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2011
Hey. My first post! To OP, my launch day 6 was rattling too. Took it in and they swapped it out for a new one which doesn't do it at all. My original phone seemed to work fine despite the rattle but I don't think it's normal. Might want to swap yours out too just in case.

KimHansenDK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Hey. My first post! To OP, my launch day 6 was rattling too. Took it in and they swapped it out for a new one which doesn't do it at all. My original phone seemed to work fine despite the rattle but I don't think it's normal. Might want to swap yours out too just in case.
Took it in today. Most of the rattle seems to come from a loose mute switch. And some from the camera which seems to be quite normal?

TruckdriverSean

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2009
Texas, US
Sadly, give it a day or two for psychological factors to do their thing, and your new phone will "rattle" too.

Unless, we're talking about something different, (which is possible, I'll admit) the vibration from the camera when setting the phone down on a solid surface or tapping the phone near the lens, (even if you hear it from the sleep/wake button) is normal.

So normal, my BOL's Samsung gs5 does it, and after a friend said his Moto Razr Max didn't do it, I showed him it does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.