iPhone 6 rattles - is it normal?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KimHansenDK, Sep 26, 2014.

1. KimHansenDK macrumors 6502

My new iPhone 6 rattles when I shake it or tap on the top part. I don't think that it is loose buttons because it still rattles when covering them. I guess the rattling sound is from the camera (lenses). Is it normal? Or do I need to take it in for a swap?

2. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

dont worry, after it bends a little the rattle should be gone.

3. oliv2915 macrumors newbie

That would be from the camera. Unlike previous iPhones, the 6 and 6+ have a lens that moves.

4. KimHansenDK thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, that makes sense. A bit of the rattling seems to come from the silent button as well, but I guess that is normal as well?

5. Cojm macrumors member

Also, the vibration motor can rattle, as well as the many motion detection bits

6. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Actually the lenses have always moved. Previous iPhones rattled too. Nothing to worry about.

7. oliv2915 macrumors newbie

That I did not know. I noticed it seems to move more so on the 6 and 6+.

8. eggersj macrumors 6502

eggersj

9. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Sounds normal.

Every iPhone for the last 4+ years has had movable elements in the camera. Tapping will result in those parts vibrating and hence a small sound.

And due to the way vibrations move through objects, your likely to hear the sound differently from different angles.

While it is possible for a power button to be loose, that is super easy to rule out through feel and function.

----------

Tap the back of your phone near the led flash like your typing on a mechanical keyboard. You'll hear the camera elements vibrate. If you don't hear it, switch to your other ear (Ok, maybe that's just my case due to some high frequency hearing loss on one side. :)

10. KimHansenDK thread starter macrumors 6502

If the silent button is not pushed down it rattles less. World you guys take it in for something like this? Or is this just the way the iPhone 6 has been constructed?

11. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Just stop. It's getting old.

12. beluba macrumors newbie

Hey. My first post! To OP, my launch day 6 was rattling too. Took it in and they swapped it out for a new one which doesn't do it at all. My original phone seemed to work fine despite the rattle but I don't think it's normal. Might want to swap yours out too just in case.

13. KimHansenDK thread starter macrumors 6502

Took it in today. Most of the rattle seems to come from a loose mute switch. And some from the camera which seems to be quite normal?

14. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Sadly, give it a day or two for psychological factors to do their thing, and your new phone will "rattle" too.

Unless, we're talking about something different, (which is possible, I'll admit) the vibration from the camera when setting the phone down on a solid surface or tapping the phone near the lens, (even if you hear it from the sleep/wake button) is normal.

So normal, my BOL's Samsung gs5 does it, and after a friend said his Moto Razr Max didn't do it, I showed him it does.