Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jazper

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Design should be about more than just aesthetics, there should be a practicality element. By focussing purely on aesthetics Apple have produced a phone which has a protruding camera, is prone to bending unless care is shown, and one which it is impossible to fit an 'invisible' screen protector to. Ironically, fitting a screen protector to Apple's aesthetically pleasing design ends up making the phone look terrible.

I completely agree with you, Apple would argue that you don't need as screen protector and that it only bends with extreme force though. :p

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
Design should be about more than just aesthetics, there should be a practicality element. By focussing purely on aesthetics Apple have produced a phone which has a protruding camera, is prone to bending unless care is shown, and one which it is impossible to fit an 'invisible' screen protector to. Ironically, fitting a screen protector to Apple's aesthetically pleasing design ends up making the phone look terrible.

I think initially Apple had planned the design with the sapphire screen in mind before things went to pot - making the curved edges of the screen a non issue.

I think the 6s/7 will be sapphire.

Margoriefl

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2014
help getting a tempered glass screen protector for iPhone 6

Hi guys I just updated to an iPhone 6 from a 5 year old android and I'm told a tempered glass screen protector is a must but with so many options and brands and never having used one before I would really appreciate advice on what brand is the best one and delivers what it promises, also one with a front facing camera cut out which I would think would be best. Thank you so much for any help.

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
This is the one I received, Spigen iPhone 6. It appears that it will cover the front facing camera. I'm also currently looking for something better.

Im just using a Spigen screen protector for now until my tempered glass one arrives:

(apologies for the upside down pic - photobucket has reversed it???)

As you can see, it doesn't provide edge to edge protection however, it comes close enough to the edges for me - and I'm happy with the coverage it provides!!!

Personally, if I am totally honest, the very first screen protectors I bought for my iPhone 6 were these ones:

http://www.spigen.co.uk/iphone-6-screen-protector-crystal-4-7.html#.VEeDRxY091A

Obviously, they are not glass tempered ones but I think, these are just as good. They leave a very slight gap all around the iPhone 6's lcd screen (about 1mm - just like the tempered glass ones do), however, these ones are super silky smooth, they show NO fingerprints, there is no 'rainbow' effect like cheaper films show and are obviously a lot thinner than glass shields, and finally - they come in a pack of 3. I've had mine on since release day of the iPhone 6 and can see NO scratches (not even hair line) on these at all.

I've looked around at ALL other glass tempered shields and the reality is, I am not happy with how ANY of them look on the iPhone 6.

Don't really go for the 'wet install' variety either as these all tend to have that 'sticky rubbery feel' and 'orange peel' look - both which I hate!

In my view, you can't beat Spigen's Crystal Clear protectors (and NO I don't work for Spigen!!)!

....well, 3 months on from my posts above and I can happily say that I am STILL using the very SAME Spigen screen protector on my iPhone 6!

There are still NO marks, scratches, hairlines or anything on the shield and it is still good at alleviating finger prints. Bought the 3 pack and am still using the first one!!

How awsome are these bad boys!!! Tempered Glass? Who needs tempered glass shields - pah...... :rolleyes:

Gonz19

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2010
Aegis screen protector with Sector 6 case.

Attachments

• IMG_6665.jpg
    IMG_6665.jpg
    621.9 KB · Views: 611
  • IMG_6666.jpg
    IMG_6666.jpg
    612 KB · Views: 553

nathdogg

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
....well, 3 months on from my posts above and I can happily say that I am STILL using the very SAME Spigen screen protector on my iPhone 6!

There are still NO marks, scratches, hairlines or anything on the shield and it is still good at alleviating finger prints. Bought the 3 pack and am still using the first one!!

How awsome are these bad boys!!! Tempered Glass? Who needs tempered glass shields - pah...... :rolleyes:

I'm now on my second one, but that is my own fault as I moved it whilst it was face down on a table and got a scratch. Other than that I agree with what you say, it held up pretty well and this was the only scratch after all that time.

I also seem to have got a much better placement this time when installing it so hopefully this one will last just as long or longer.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Anybody tried this?

It's a Nillkin protector that covers the whole (?) screen.

There are several different brands out there just like this one and there have been threads posted before on those. Personally I think they're ugly and wouldn't want something that added an artificial border all around just to get edge to edge screen protection.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Is that the $5 dollar ebay screen guardz or whatever its called? It looks exactly like the one i put on my wifes 6+ today. I was pretty impressed with the quality for only $5. They give you all the stuff the $30+ ones comes with too.

How did you break it?

No. Got mine from xtremeguard. They usually cost $50 but got mine on Black Friday for around $7. Right now they're on sale for $33 plus 85% off code "Christmas85". I didn't get anything with mine. Just the screen protector.

cheesyappleuser

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
Portugal
I'm about to buy a screen protector for my iPhone 6, but I'm a bit doubtful between a regular screen protector (from bestskinsever.com) and a tempered glass one from Anker. I'm also planning to use any of them with a case, namely the SwitchEasy Numbers, which does have a lip so it sort of fixes that hideous look of the screen protector on the phone.
Any thoughts?

dianestory2

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
Thinking about switching to tempered glass, but not sure which company. gonna read through this thread for a while...

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
I put a Spigen regular crystal on my 6 plus tonight. So far, so good. No biggie seeing a faint line of where the protector ends before the iPhone screen waterfalls off the end into the lay on table design of my Zooglou case.

MTXR

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2008
Today I installed an Anker clear glass screen protector for my iPhone 6 plus. It's not edge to edge but covers everything I realy need. So far it's working well. It was only 8 bucks on Amazon.

shamashu

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2014
Today I installed an Anker clear glass screen protector for my iPhone 6 plus. It's not edge to edge but covers everything I realy need. So far it's working well. It was only 8 bucks on Amazon.

Do you have the link? What i found is 9.99$

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.