iphone 6 screen shattered at antenna loop

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jasonbro, Sep 30, 2014.

1. jasonbro macrumors regular

I dropped my iPhone 6 on my floor taking it out of my pocket. It hit on the side, It was nothing. I literally didn't bat an eye cause i figured it was no big deal at all. Ive dropped my 5/5s like this many times. When i picked it up the whole screen was shattered, not from where the impact was, but right from where the antenna ring goes around the phone. The casing is literally *perfect*. The fall didn't even leave a mark on the case... but the screen shattered anyways.

I'll take a picture later... the phone is my camera....

really disappointed. I've got applecare+ but this is really a waste of a use......

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

What is an antenna loop?

Awww easy fix, buy more toys.

You dropped it, it broke, you use the accidental damage insurance... I really don't see the "waste". This is what you bought it for, yes?

3. jasonbro thread starter macrumors regular

yes.... how does it break so easy though? What the hell? it didn't even break where it hit!!!! Not even a mark where it hit..... It broke at the antenna loop! where it flexed.

4. james92se macrumors 6502a

We still don't know what in the world you mean by antenna loop

5. jasonbro thread starter macrumors regular

the band around the back of the phone? one at the bottom and at the top?... where its not the same color as the rest of the phone?

6. Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

I'm guessing he means at the location where the antenna band is on the case?

Ah, posted while I was guessing.:)

7. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

That's just a bit of plastic providing isolation between chassis and antenna.

It probably compressed there on impact and greater a stress point.

8. jasonbro, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2014

jasonbro thread starter macrumors regular

yup, a stress point that kills you. decide for yourself I'm posting the pics now.

It hit on the top... where theres not a mark... but surprise.... the case flexed and cracked the screen anyways.

see what i mean? That sort of sucks, no?

Attached Files:

9. WilliamG, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2014

WilliamG macrumors G3

That sucks, but your screen protector installation sucks even more. :p

In all seriousness, if you drop something made of aluminum and glass, it might crack. I'm not sure what else to tell you... I really don't think the latest iPhones are any more likely to crack than the last generation. You just got lucky on your last iPhones. WHERE you drop the phone (location, and also if it's a corner etc) will affect things, so you can't fairly compare previous experiences.

These crack/smash stories come up every year when there's an abundance of customers and iPhones changing hands.

I feel your pain, but the best you can do is just to pay the money and get it fixed. Nobody else can help you.

10. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Yup, poor iPhone that got dropped.
    Use a case if it bothers you so much.
    At least you have AppleCare for your drops :)

11. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Wow, that's ****** - those damn bands are no good :rolleyes:

12. jasonbro thread starter macrumors regular

Maybe i should have said it cracked in my pocket for more sympathy?

just saying i dropped my other phones like this 1000x....... this sucks.

13. CelestialToys macrumors 6502

That would probably have got you less sympathy around these parts.

It's just luck of the draw when you drop any phone, sometimes they land without any damage and sometimes they shatter.

14. Brian Y macrumors 68040

There is an impact mark on the aluminium, and another on the glass. It's clearly hit something at that point.

15. jasonbro thread starter macrumors regular

The 5s has a solid band. My old 5s band, that the old lady uses now, has dents. I cant say how a samsung would hold up... are they stronger than this? I have no idea.....

16. mrkramer Suspended

mrkramer

These phones (all smartphones that are metal and glass) can break with almost no force if they land wrong, or they can take a long fall onto concrete and you get lucky with only a few scuffs. Unfortunately it is all luck as to if it breaks or not.

17. jasonbro thread starter macrumors regular

winner.

yup... obviously it did. you can see it in the band.... damn.... +1 for iPhone 5s camera. -1 for me.

18. Enabledobject macrumors 6502

Enabledobject

19. CelestialToys macrumors 6502

You have just got very lucky when dropping your 5s for it not to shatter.

Samsung phones tend to break even more as the plastic shatters too, again this is based on luck.

It's just like dropping some toast, sometimes it lands butter side up and sometimes it lands butter side down

20. jasonbro thread starter macrumors regular

kitchen tile :-\

my 5s has taken a few dives out of my 3/4 pickup out of my lap onto asphalt... i chipped my 4s glass once... this my first shattered screen. some way to go out though.....

21. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

Do you think you'll start using a case in the future?

22. realeric macrumors 6502a

realeric

Kitchen tile? omg. No phone can survive on kitchen tile.

23. hipnetic macrumors 6502a

If you've dropped your previous phones 1000 times, then I think you are the problem.

On a more serious note...kitchen tile is hard. No big shocker that it cracked dropping it on that.

On a more sympathetic note...I do think that Apple's obsession with metal, glass, and ultra-thinness is a poor one for devices that are pulled in and out of pockets regularly. That they make them so smooth, glossy, and slippery just adds insult to injury. Plastic and rubber isn't glamourous, but it's probably a better set of material to use for devices that are used so frequently in a variety of conditions. Of course, we can always supplant the base materials by buying a bulky case, which I'd prefer not to do. I'd personally like to see them make a version of the latest phones out of materials that are less glamorous but a bit more shock-proof, even if it makes them a fraction thicker. They'd likely sell them for a bit cheaper than their fancy ultra-thin metal versions, so it would be a win-win for some of us.

24. rawlus macrumors 6502

A square trade warranty takes a lot of the pain away.

25. jasonbro thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not sure... i guess not.... My plan is always to use a exchange right before two years is up, and have an exchange for an oops. Ive never used an oops before... the phone has always held up... i'll probably push my luck until/unless i use up my second exchange.... Cant believe i ruined the phone in a week this time....