Iphone 6+ Stolen by Fedex Driver

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by westerj12, Oct 2, 2014.

1. westerj12 macrumors newbie

So I preordered 2 Iphone 6+ phones on the 12th. One came on the 19th, and one was backordered and shipped last week. It was shipped FedEx Ground with a delivery date on 9/30. It didn't come on the 30th but after talking to another local FedEx Express driver, he said the Ground driver was delayed and it would come the next day. After it didn't come on the 1st, I called FedEx. After speaking to several people in their Customer Service Dept and at the local distribution center, they have come to the conclusion that the package was stolen. Talked to them today and they said another package from Verizon was stolen yesterday from the same truck. They are reviewing the security footage and all that stuff.

Called Verizon, got a refund and a new phone ordered but now it is estimated to be delivered 10/31.

So my question is, what, if anything, would you expect from FedEx other than an "I'm sorry" (which I still haven't gotten) from them?

I talked to the local distribution center and asked about getting the new phone paid for as well. They told me they couldn't locally but I could talk to a manager in their customer service department.

What would you do in this situation? I know legally they don't have to do anything else, but because of their employee with sticky fingers, I've got to wait another 4-5 weeks.

2. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Thanks stinks! :mad:

Remember the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Keep hounding them relentlessly until you get fair compensation.

:apple:

3. mdlooker macrumors 65816

mdlooker

I hope that under 1K phone will last and put money on his table as his paychecks there may be numbered.

4. AJAAY macrumors regular

By getting the refund, you have been made whole again. Yes it sucks you had to reorder the phone and now have to wait all over again. Neither Verizon nor FedEx owes you anything except your money back, which you have gotten. If they do decide to do more, good for them. Otherwise, chalk this up to experience and move on.

5. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

That's what I thought too.. be it 1, 2 or ... 8K.. :mad:

6. linkgx1 macrumors 65816

7. dljeffery macrumors regular

It sucks that you have to wait another month, but that doesn't seem to warrant getting $750 to $950 in compensation from FedEx.

If I were you, I'd cancel the new order with Verizon and just keep checking nearby Apple Stores for stock.

8. TRC-WA macrumors regular

A new phone for free because your order was lost/stolen?

Ummmm yeah... good luck with that. It's not any different than the $20 t-shirt I ordered a few weeks back that never showed up... I got a refund and they shipped another.

9. muggerfugger macrumors regular

muggerfugger

So weird how people still steal phones when they are easily traced.

Less than a $grand iphone really worth losing your job?

10. chrise2 macrumors 6502

Don't expect anything from FedEx as you weren't their customer. Apple is. Or Verizon. Or whoever shipped it.

11. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

As you get older you will understand that there are many possibilities in any scenario. You don't know the driver stole your phone. Obviously someone did. Be careful who you accuse of something until you gather your facts.

12. CBR900RR macrumors 6502a

You have no business with FedEx, verizon paid FedEx to ship the phone, not you, you can only go after verizon, surprise they even talk to you.

13. westerj12 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I was told by the asst manager at the local FedEx hub.

14. 1968 macrumors regular

FedEx. When it absolutely positively has to be stolen overnight.

15. westerj12 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did gather my facts. I was told by the local FedEx hub that either the driver, or someone the driver knew stole the packages. If the driver allowed someone else to take it, he is responsible as well.

16. linkgx1 macrumors 65816

I was just making sure it wasn't possibly a neighbor or someone. Had that **** happen to me before. That's why I have UPS myChoice so I can make sure it does directly to the customer service center.

17. lcseds macrumors 6502a

These trucks are unattended when a driver runs to someones door. Fedex drivers make way too much to risk their job over a couple hundred dollar phone. My bet is someone other than the driver. It's a downright shame that other employees are quick to finger one of their own.

18. Gregintosh, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014

Gregintosh macrumors 68000

You won't get anything from them other than an apology. No company will compensate you significantly for inconvenience. I would also not do a pre order and just go to a store. Tons of stores are getting Verizon units in stock so that seems like a faster way.

19. linkgx1 macrumors 65816

And if that Fedex driver did steal it, he's a dumbass. Trading a $80,000 job for $1,000? Wow. Just wow.

----------

They'll be getting a lawsuit.

20. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Unless I'm missing something here I'm not seeing how the OP's phone was stolen by the Fedex driver? It's very possible it was stolen off the truck load but that doesn't indicate the driver actually stole it. I'd go out on a limb and even say the driver didn't do it. He'd have to be able to cover his tracks. I'm sure Fedex has each driver sign a liability clause that threatens their job if anything off the truck was stolen and proven they were behind it. At any rate, who cares about getting an apology, I would just want Fedex to reimburse me the cost of my phone so I could get another one.

21. westerj12 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's something else I learned during this process. The local FedEx express driver told me that FedEx ground routes are franchised out and most of the drivers don't work for FedEx. They work for a 3rd party and drive the FedEx truck, so my guess is they are being paid much less than a driver who actually works for FedEx.

22. linkgx1 macrumors 65816

I guess Fedex gets what they paid for.

23. westerj12 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm just going off of what the person at the local FedEx hub told me. I doubt she would throw a driver under the bus if she didn't think he took it. She said that after the 2nd package went missing off the same truck that was also a Verizon Wireless package, they went back and reviewed security tapes and submitted them to their Security department along with other logs. So she made it sound like she knew he took them and they had evidence of it.

24. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

FedEx drivers get paid around $35k a year. Who knows how many he stole though. Maybe he thought it was worth it.

Whose going to sue them and for what? They'll cover the cost of the stolen goods and that's pretty much it. The sender gets the benefit since it's their product.

Doubt anyone will pay a lawyer $15,000+ to start a lawsuit to recover imaginary damages beyond the lost phone which is already covered anyway.

25. lcseds macrumors 6502a

FedEx and UPS routes start at around $50K and climb quick if you stay. Still unlikely for the driver to have taken it.