iPhone 6 Subjected to Bend Test, Proves More Durable Than iPhone 6 Plus

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 24, 2014.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's iPhone 6 Plus has been receiving a huge amount of attention over the last day, following reports of users seeing significant bending after placing the phone in a pocket.

A video made yesterday demonstrated just how far the iPhone 6 Plus is able to bend, and now the video's creator, Lewis Hilsenteger of Unbox Therapy, has created a second video to test the iPhone 6 and several other Android devices.

The smaller 4.7-inch iPhone 6 appears to be much less malleable than the larger iPhone 6 Plus. While the iPhone 6 Plus bent significantly near the volume buttons under the force inflicted by Hilsenteger, he is unable to do as much damage to the iPhone 6. Aside from a small dent, the phone remains intact. "This one is far more durable," he says.

Based on his preliminary testing, Hilsenteger does not believe that iPhone 6 users will see the same issues that some iPhone 6 Plus users are seeing in regards to bending. As we noted yesterday, it's unlikely that the force Hilsenteger used in the original video will be replicated inside of a pocket, but photos of bent iPhone 6 Plus devices have suggested that it does not take much force to cause a slight curvature in the device.

Bending issues are not limited to the iPhone 6 Plus, as bending has been seen in prior versions of the iPhone, including the iPhone 5 and 5s.

Apple has not commented on the iPhone 6 Plus bending incidents, but iPhone 6 Plus owners can likely prevent bending by removing the phone from their pockets before sitting or by placing the device in a rigid protective case.

Article Link: iPhone 6 Subjected to Bend Test, Proves More Durable Than iPhone 6 Plus

2. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

At this point, it's obvious: Macrumors is TRYING to polarize people... It's now newsworthy!!

3. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

4. bpeeps macrumors 68030

bpeeps

Apple's got one more strike until they strike out this month.

5. butch10x macrumors regular

6. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Plus... how is it "surprising" that a shorter piece of metal takes more force to bend than a longer piece? (in reference to the line starting "surprisingly...")

7. captain cadet macrumors 6502

Less area too twist :)- that's why it's more durable

8. WalterNeff macrumors regular

Surprisingly?

"Surprisingly, the smaller 4.7-inch iPhone 6 appears to be much less malleable than the larger iPhone 6 Plus"

Why would that be surprising?

9. bawbac macrumors 65816

bawbac

JS: "But it did bend...."

Why did they not do a test with it in their pockets to repro the environment in which is has been reported to bend...

10. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

11. Tubamajuba macrumors 68020

Not sure how it's surprising that the smaller phone would be less bendable.

Y'know, physics and all that good stuff.

12. Leonard1818, Sep 24, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2014

Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Pretty sure Macrumors is now trolling macrumors....

13. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

After it was pointed out by another member here (and I agreed) that the previous video appears to be doctored, I don't put any stock in what is said or done in the OP videos.

14. rish macrumors 6502

rish

Anyone who thinks that they can argue their lack of awareness and common sense concerning the placement of an iPhone 6 + in a normal sized pocket without ramifications has got to be a first class imbecile.

I cannot believe the idiocy that's out there.

Well at least the iPhone 6 fared well.

15. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

The only time my 5s bent like that was when it slipped out of my pocket as I was closing my car door. Too bad the glass on the front and back didn't survive lol.

BTW: what's up with the extremely skinny format on the forums on the iPhone?

16. darkslide29 macrumors 65816

Other phones from other companies made of metal can be bent too.

17. Korican100 macrumors 6502a

Korican100

18. rstone3 macrumors member

So, your saying I shouldn't cram a large phablet / phone in my tight jeans pocket and sit down? But I'll miss having all that pain...

19. carrrrrlos macrumors 6502a

carrrrrlos

What is our fascination w/ the destruction of mobile tech? One day when robots rule, our overlords will hunt down these youtubers and have them quarter horsed.

20. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Another bullet point of good reasons for me picking the iPhone 6. :)

Nothing against the 6 Plus of course. Just happy that I made the right choice, personally. I'm a small guy so a 6 Plus would probably experience more stress in my jeans.

21. Jungo macrumors regular

wow....

wow... THIS guy again ? and who wears a bb cap backwards STILL ... Yi

22. TallManNY macrumors 601

TallManNY

Well not too surprising. But the 4.7 is also thinner. So being thinner should make it more malleable.

23. scottsjack macrumors 68000

Holy Crap. Can Apple news get any better (for Samsung) today? I though I was having a bad day at work (and I am) but I would not want to be in Cupertino today dealing with the several "gates" making the news.

24. DudeDad macrumors 6502a

DudeDad

If I try to bend my iPad Air, I can crack it. Based on that, I've concluded that you try to break something, you probably can. Therefore, I will not put my iPad Air in my pants (unless I'm home and lonely, but that's another issue).