iPhone 6+ to iPhone 6s? Why?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by davistld01, Aug 31, 2015.

1. davistld01 macrumors 6502a

davistld01

I'm again on the fence regarding upgrading from my iPhone 6 (which I love) to the iPhone 6s+...which I am looking to because I've always been a bit jealous of the added screen real estate. I am, however still concerned with the added size/weight of the device being hard to carry in the pocket of my business dress pants pocket, in jeans, and it being bulky in general.

My question is this: How many if any of you are planning to downsize from the iPhone 6+ to the iPhone 6s this time around? And, why are you?

I'm open to hear the pros and cons of owning the iPhone 6+ vs. the iPhone 6.

Thanks! :)

2. Aibocyrus macrumors 6502

Aibocyrus

I'm glad you asked this because I am on the fence myself. It will be interesting to hear some of the responses. Not really sure what I want to do either.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I don't have any problems with the 6+ in my pants pockets.

Nor do I have any issues handling it (in fact it's easier to grab because there is more of it if I start to drop it).

The weight seems irrelevant compared to the weight of my iPhone 5 (which is what I upgraded from).

It's not like you're trying to shove a 17" MBP in to your pocket or carry it around. It's a phone.

4. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I'm probably going to downsize next time I upgrade. 6+ to 7

5. Mr.C macrumors 601

I've been more then happy with my 6 Plus. I'm not that tall but I can still fit it just fine in my pockets. It can be a bit of an issue when wearing jeans but my jeans are fairly loose so it's not that big a deal and it's something I've got use to. The only problem I have is bending down to tie my shoe laces for which I have to take my phone out first. To me the pros far outweigh the cons with the OIS, better battery, bigger display, landscape mode, higher resolution etc. I'm definitely sticking to the plus size phone when I upgrade next month.

6. bp1000 macrumors 65816

Think I'm going for the 6s+ from the 6+ too

Did consider downsizing, due to size and weight. It's not heavy but having used a 6 it's feather light and easier to handle but less screen size probably wins above all else.

My only criticism is its too dam slippy so I use a case for the first time ever. Real shame as the rounded edge and glass feels great when swiping without a case on.

7. jkel777 macrumors 6502

I'm definitely going to downsize from the 6 Plus to the regular 6s. The 6 Plus is just too big for me for everyday usage. The bigger screen is definitely nice for media consumption, but I've come to realize that one-handed use is really important to me.

8. Benched08 macrumors regular

I have large hands so using the 6+ one-handed has never been an issue. The pros definitely outweigh the minor, insignificant cons. Excellent battery, the display is pin-sharp and provides a way better viewing experience, OIS, etc. I almost wish Apple released a bigger phone now that I'm accustomed to this size.

9. Mr.C macrumors 601

I would find even the 6 hard to use one handed as I have small hands. I'm use to using my phone with two hands most of the time so of me it's neither here nor there. I find using the internet, social media and watching videos much easier on the larger display. Making phone calls is what I use the phone the least for and consuming media and playing games are my primary use. I can't use the internet at work of personal use so I rely on my phone.

10. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

I won't be ever be able to not have a large display again..6+ is a must for me

11. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

i'm really torn on this. i'm not a big guy so i feel the 6 has been a nice size for me. but the 6 plus is definitely a nice phone.

12. TruBleu macrumors regular

I'm neither too tall (5'9'') nor have big hands. But when I jumped from 5s to 6+ last year, I had absolutely no problem in getting used to the big screen within a matter of days...so much so that I have learnt shuffling around the phone on one hand while walking or standing in trains, etc. And no, I almost never use the Reachability feature and have always used the phone with no protective case...haven't dropped it once yet. And boy am I glad I decided to go for the 6+. The extra screen estate and the better screen resolution are just spectacular. And the battery life is of course very good. I found myself using the battery pack less often since I got my 6+. Sold off my much-loved 6+ yesterday and waiting for the 6s+

13. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

The 6Plus has been too darned big to be comfortable carrying on me. It gets shoved in a purse a lot of the time when I'm out where I can have a purse, and I rely on my Apple watch to take calls and monitor texts and emails and weather.

When I'm home all of my media consumption and web browsing is more enjoyable on my iPad.

The main reason I went with the Plus in the first place was the OIS. First and foremost I rely heavily on the camera to record family events. Kids and pets and family trips are all about motion. I needed OIS to cut down on blurry shots. And it's really helped. I also thought I'd rely more on the beautiful screen than I actually do.

I DO count on the generous battery life. And even though my particular iPhone 6Plus is much worse at that than my husband's, it's still the best battery life I've ever experienced on an IPhone.

I can't say with complete confidence that I'm going to downsize. Not with so much still unknown about the upcoming iPhones. But I am seriously considering it.

The 6Plus is pleasant to use but a real pain to pocket. And I do get annoyed having to shift it to my back pocket when I need to bend over and tie my shoes or pick something up or pull some weeds in the garden.

Oh, yeah...my 6Plus has had a bit of lag and stutter. I'm not sure if that's because of the display. A lot of people claim that's part of it. I don't know. Hot dog, but it's a gorgeous display, though!

14. Broadus macrumors 6502a

I'm moving up from an almost-four-year-old 4S, so both the 6S and the 6S Plus will be a big difference. However, I've handled both and find that either works well.

However, because I'm on my MacBook most of the time and my iPad Air is close by, I don't really need the Plus. I'll probably go with the 6S and not deal with any inconvenience due to size or pay the extra $100 for the Plus.

15. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

I'm also on the fence. My 6 has been great, but I've also been jealous of the extra screen, and specifically the battery, of the plus. Considering the 6s is supposed to have an even smaller battery, it makes the case for a plus even stronger.

16. maricc macrumors regular

i'm doing exactly this because one handed use is clumsy, i'm often straining to use the device

17. Broadus macrumors 6502a

I really hope that's not true about the battery. Even if the smaller size is offset by the efficiency of iOS 9 so that it's a wash, I would hope that Apple provides longer daily battery usage with the 6S than the 6 is reputed to have.

18. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

The phone is getting thicker and the battery is getting smaller. I understand that it will probably be the same as the 6 because processor improvements, but I find it kind of silly that Apple doesn't just make the phone a tad bit thicker even to eliminate the protruding camera and for a real all day battery life. I think I read the battery is about 5% smaller on both models, don't quote me on that though. Not much, but still disappointing nonetheless.

19. Nelliebee macrumors member

Nelliebee

I am switching to the 6s from the 6+ because for me the plus is much too big to handle comfortably as I am walking down a busy street texting etc. I also don't like the lack of privacy. I haven't heard anyone else mention this but people have told me that they can see everything I am doing on my phone even a from a few feet away. This has made me somewhat paranoid about how I use my phone in public.

20. inmnbob macrumors member

I have both. 6 and 6+ and use google voice to get the numbers to be the Sam effort inbound and outbound calls. This way I have the best of both worlds

21. elite327 macrumors newbie

elite327

I'll keep my 6+ for another year. Had a iPhone 5 and I kind of miss the chamfered edges, but the bigger screen is easier on the eyes.

22. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I won't downsize from the plus unless there is a new iPhone in the 4" or smaller range. I recently pulled out my iPhone 3G to play with as an iPod, and the small size felt great. But considering the 6 is too big to use with one hand I'd never go down to that size.

If you are able to easily use the 6 with one hand it might not be worth it to go to the 6S+ but if you have to use both with two hands there's no reason not to go with the +.

23. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

That's an interesting point. But the problem is the 6 screen is fairly large and visible, too. I know because I can see what all the other parents are doing on their 6's when I'm waiting for the kids to be done with their sports.

24. azhava macrumors regular

6+ here, no way I'd go down to a 6s. I have big hands and can do pretty much everything one-handed on the Plus, and I've gotten so used to the larger screen that I wouldn't give it up. It fits in my pants/shorts pockets even though it's a little bulky, but the advantages outweigh the disadvantages for me. I have an iPod Touch to take to the gym, where the smaller size is a plus. I'm hanging onto my 6+ at least until the 7 comes out, at which point I'll go to the 7+ (or whatever they call it).

25. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

If public use is of much concern, there are mirror screen protectors that effectively require a straight viewing angle to make the screen visible. We all have our opinions but I can't say that I can see an iPhone 6 plus any better from s few feet away than I can a 6. Text size is the same, there's just more of it.