iPhone 6 unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mbhforum, Oct 31, 2015.

1. mbhforum macrumors 6502

Ok, here is the situation. I had an iphone 6 on Verizon which I had replaced by Apple under AppleCare++. After receiving the phone from Apple, I inserted my Verizon SIM into it to make sure it would work and that it was activated and then pulled the SIM card out as I planned on selling on Ebay since I recently got the iPhone 6++. The buyer on eBay is now telling me he is getting invalid SIM when he tries to use an international SIM Card. It was my impression that Verizon iPhone 6's are all factory unlocked now and Apple will send replacement phones under the same condition that the original iPhone was. Does anyone know why my buyer is having trouble using an International SIM card and how can he get it unlocked?

2. ron1004 macrumors 6502

ron1004

I was told in Best Buy and at the Apple store that the iPhone 6 and later are not network locked - I bought the SIM Free iPhone 6S, and was told that the others come with a SIM card installed for the specific Network, but will work with whatever SIM you use.

I have heard that to use your iPhone abroad on an international SIM it should first be activated on one of the local networks - not sure if this is true.

It might be that the eBay buyer is trying to pull a dirty on you - in such a case it's best to have him return it - eBay and PayPal will side with him - Beware.

3. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

Your Verizon iPhone as well as all others (AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, VZ) are unlocked to only US carriers. The Sim Free iPhone is both Domestic and international.

4. vsuri, Oct 31, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2015

vsuri macrumors newbie

Unfortunately, some Verizon devices are not unlocked for international use. This is a bug and there are other threads discussing this issue:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...ome-locked-against-international-use.1846197/

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/sold-verizon-iphone-6-on-swappa-buyer-says-its-locked.1911879/

5. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

6. laudern macrumors 6502a

I would not want to be in your position right now. I hope you have an honest buyer or you are about to get a couple hundred dollars worth of rocks in the mail.

7. Jtludwig, Nov 1, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2015

Jtludwig macrumors 6502

That is completely wrong. How am I using my Verizon iPhone overseas right now?

There is a known error with some Verizon iPhone 6s not being unlocked properly for international use.

Please stop spreading this misinformation.

8. mbhforum thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. I informed the buyer to contact Verizon and Apple to straighten it out. Hopefully he is honest and doesn't try to scam me. I will make sure to video record whatever he sends me back if it comes to it.

9. vsuri macrumors newbie

I thought the known issue re: international unlock is regarding iPhone 6 and not 6s.

10. Jtludwig macrumors 6502

I'm not sure..I thought it was both but could be mistaken.

I was more upset about the claim of all phones only being unlocked domestically.

11. Jtludwig macrumors 6502

From the threads, most people are not successful. You should probably issue a refund and have the buyer return the phone.

I'd be pretty upset if I bought a phone advertised as "unlocked" only to be told to straighten out the seller's mess myself.

12. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Technically you've scammed the buyer, whether intentional or not.