Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPhone 6 Usage and Contacts App are so basic compared to Android

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
The iPhone feels like a dumbed down android in some parts. Looking at the Contacts app.... no images on scroll is very strange, especially since I am used to the following on my Nexus with images like below. I am guessing the plus actually shows images next to contacts? I wish there was some way to enable this on the iPhone 6 (Contact Images). It doesnt make sense for Apple to market the iPhone 6 Plus with this feature when all Android phones regardless of size have them, and it looks simple and uncluttered on 4.7'' displays:

The data usage under the "Settings" also takes some getting used to, as it is vastly different from what I usually see on the android end:

I am surprised Apple is still using simplified "numbers" and "reset statistics" option and not pretty graphs and stuff that the Android uses. This is more difficult getting used to than I thought, I am happy I can actually put all my music on it though. I don't know if other Android users are feeling the same way or are noticing some other differences.

Last edited:

jonbravo77

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I'm extremely happy they don't do what Android does. But, I'm not big on flashy crap on my phone. I just want to use the thing not stare at it in all it's "glory" of useless colors and and charts and fog horns and whatever else Android has that's pretty useless to me. And that is all my opinion, so save the flames to cook your burger with. :D

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
Can you call/text people and see their number in contacts? Then it has done its job. I don't need pictures of people, I need their contact info, hence "contacts".

jcobb40

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2014
Your iPhone will actually work as its intended to work which is a phone, one major feature every Android I've owned has lacked. Got flashy gadgets but none of them are polished and work flawlessly like Apples.

techiebug

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2013
Lol starfyre has the worsts posts ever. Why not just go to android and quit trolling the iPhone forum?
Agree.... I've seen all kinds of complaints on here... Now someone is complaining iOS is not android... Sounds perfectly normal to me...

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
so you guys are seriously saying you don't want more in depth data for your usage habits? because I would.

Some things rate lower on the list than others. Developers often make a really good simple app that everyone likes then they shoe horn in new features that confuse everyone or are of no concern to most users of their app.

Cryates

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Chattanooga, TN
so you guys are seriously saying you don't want more in depth data for your usage habits? because I would.

Android gives you all of that information because there are so many processes running in the background outside out apps. It basically tells you what useless things are running that you need to go disable. I like the fact I don't have to drive myself crazy over those things with iOS.

Last edited:

doasis23

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2012
I have no need for battery usage. I'm going to use the apps either way.

I would like pics in contacts though. It's one of the first things I add when I jailbreak. If you are able to display them in favorites there is no reason not to be able to display them in contacts.

jcobb40

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2014
When I had a Android work phone I had to run Task Killer App all the time to kill the useless crap so the phone would function. We have 2 employees with Android phones one is a HTC M8 and other is a Galaxy S5 and sometimes their phones simply don't ring, no missed calls and no straight to voicemail just simply the phone does not ring mainly when they are in a data connection. Never had these problems with our employees with iPhone which is 11 people.

chabig

macrumors 604
Sep 6, 2002
Lol starfyre has the worsts posts ever. Why not just go to android and quit trolling the iPhone forum?

Yes. She's started 25 threads in the past 3 days to ask important questions like "What size USPS box will my iPhone come in?" and even better, "Should I take the clear plastic off my new iPhone?"!

FriednTested

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2014
You call that contact list uncluttered...? Hmmm...

You need graphs to sit and analyse the phone and create a presentation of usage...?

Big Dawg 23

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2011
Minnesota
The iPhone feels like a dumbed down android in some parts. Looking at the Contacts app.... no images on scroll is very strange, especially since I am used to the following on my Nexus with images like below. I am guessing the plus actually shows images next to contacts? I wish there was some way to enable this on the iPhone 6 (Contact Images). It doesnt make sense for Apple to market the iPhone 6 Plus with this feature when all Android phones regardless of size have them, and it looks simple and uncluttered on 4.7'' displays:

The data usage under the "Settings" also takes some getting used to, as it is vastly different from what I usually see on the android end:

I am surprised Apple is still using simplified "numbers" and "reset statistics" option and not pretty graphs and stuff that the Android uses. This is more difficult getting used to than I thought, I am happy I can actually put all my music on it though. I don't know if other Android users are feeling the same way or are noticing some other differences.
I have owned several Android phones, I used to like AOSP but not any longer. I still own a Note 3 and could careless and prefer to not have pictures. To me it's kind of pointless unless you take pictures of every person in your contacts list. Sorry put I am not asking to take someone pictures so it can be placed in contact. Also as for Nexus, I don't care for the on screen buttons,

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
When I had a Android work phone I had to run Task Killer App all the time to kill the useless crap so the phone would function. We have 2 employees with Android phones one is a HTC M8 and other is a Galaxy S5 and sometimes their phones simply don't ring, no missed calls and no straight to voicemail just simply the phone does not ring mainly when they are in a data connection. Never had these problems with our employees with iPhone which is 11 people.
Maybe you didn't know, but task killer apps create nothing but problems on phones running 4.0 or later. It hurts battery life and kills needed processes, probably leading to those missed calls...

jcobb40

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2014
Maybe you didn't know, but task killer apps create nothing but problems on phones running 4.0 or later. It hurts battery life and kills needed processes, probably leading to those missed calls...

Never had a phone 4.0 or newer personally I was fed up with Android junk far before that ever came out. As far as I know neither of the employees have a task killer installed but I will look into that. The least I know about Android the better I know it's a crap system and that's enough.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
Never had a phone 4.0 or newer personally I was fed up with Android junk far before that ever came out. As far as I know neither of the employees have a task killer installed but I will look into that. The least I know about Android the better I know it's a crap system and that's enough.
A lot has changed for Android since Gingerbread 2.3, maybe you shouldn't be criticizing Android for experiences you had way back then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.