Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 27, 2007
I recently switched back from Android and picked up an iPhone 6 plus. Loved it. I am especially enjoying the ability to integrate with the iPhones, iPods and iPads that belong to other members of my family.

After selling my Samsung phone and tablet, I am wondering if I should pick up an iPad Air or mini for myself, especially during the BF sales. However, in the less than 3 weeks of owning my 6+, I haven't yet see the need of going to an iPad. There were times that I felt the need to go to my Mac, like booking a trip online, or typing this long(er) message on forum. Overall, I am happy with my 6+ for most things that I do when sitting on my couch at home. However, I am still in 'honeymoon' with my 6+, I am interested in hearing what other 6+ owners think.

This brings me to my question - For the 6+ owners out there, are you still regularly using a tablet? If so, which tablet? and for what purpose(s)?

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I still use my rMini, but I will sale its usage has diminished quite a bit. I find my IP6+ has taken over a lot of what I used to use my rMini for.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
I don't use my Air 2 as much as I was expecting now I have the 6+, but I still use it - for my work (teaching guitar) and when I just want a bigger view of things (using Word and Excel for example). The 6+ is definitely being used in more situations when with a 5S I would have actively sought out my tablet.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
Yes. The iPhone 6 Plus is as stated a Phone, Not a Tablet. I use my iPad Air 2 for excel, Word, and PPT which is on a daily. Even though the iPhone is equipped with a 5.5" screen it is perfect for viewing, not editing. Plus take this into consideration. 2,915 mAh Vs 8,827 mAh batteries.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
Yes, I still use an Air 2. The 6 plus is definitely more user friendly compared to the 4s I had before, but I still prefer the iPad for most things at home. Safari, Lightroom, Flipboard, USA Today, magazine apps, etc... Pretty much everything when I have time to spend some time with it. If I just want to check email or something quickly, I reach for the 6 plus.

I don't carry the iPad to work or around with me, so the 6 plus still gets plenty of use.

seasurfer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
That is the question I have been asking myself for the last few days. Since I got my iPhone 6 Plus, I noticed that I have not been using my iPad 4 that much.

Therefore the next question, should I upgrade my iPad 4 to iPad Air 2?

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Nope... probably because my 3rd gen iPad is so damn slow on iOS 8. I'll pick up the next gen iPad.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I think this thread explains exactly why Apple didn't put any effort into improving the iPad mini this year. And on the Android side, why Google went with the Nexus 9 rather than a new Nexus 7 or even 8. The game plan seems to be, release a "phablet" forget about small tablets.

caesarp

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2012
Of course. Why is this even a question. Obviously you use the phone when out of the house. When at home I use my iPad air. Why would I use the way smaller 6 plus screen at home?

My iPad stays home unless going away on vacation. Phone goes with me when out of the house And to work every day.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
I use the tablet ( Air ) at home most of the time. The even larger screen is easy on the eyes and just that much more comfortable to type on!

For me, both have their use case :)

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
If I had a mini I wouldn't touch it but since I have a regular sized iPad such as the iPad Air it's a perfect balance. There are some things that just aren't done perfectly even on a iPhone 6 Plus.

smooth

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2007
Detroit
I use my iPad 3 the same amount as before I got my 6+ but I tend to use my 6+ more than I used my 5. It is easier to see things on a bigger screen, but my increase in usage of my phone is mainly due to the MUCH better battery. If I used my 5 as much as I do my 6+ it would have died on me every day.

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2011
When I first got my 6 plus I hardly used my iPad air. Now I still use but less then when I did before getting the 6 plus. If I didn't have an iPad i definitely wouldn't go out and buy one, since I alread own one and couldn't get the price I wanted I still use it. The iPad air has a larger screen, larger battery, tablet apps, stereo speakers and multi tasking gestures which my 6 plus doesn't have.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I'm using my iPad air at home. But out and about my 6 plus. It's still early days. But I don't think there is a need for an iPad mini anymore.

themyst

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
My mini retina is now a very, very expensive temporary pacifier for my son. Both myself and the wife have no urge to use the iPad.

PseudoPacifist

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2014
Oregon
I have only used my iPad Air a couple of times since I acquired my iPhone 6 Plus earlier this month. I'm thinking of selling my iPad, I like Apple products but there is something about minimalism when it comes to electronic devices.

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012
I use my iPhone 6+ a lot more often now, however there are times when I still prefer an even larger screen. Sometimes I need to use a keyboard on the macbook pro and in extended internet browsing then I use my mini iPad. I'd still buy the iPad air or mini if I was you.

seasurfer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
That is the question I have been asking myself for the last few days. Since I got my iPhone 6 Plus, I noticed that I have not been using my iPad 4 that much.

Therefore the next question, should I upgrade my iPad 4 to iPad Air 2?

So just as I thought I will use the iPad less. I went to Best Buy and traded in my old iPad 4 for a new iPad Air 2.

I love my iPad Air 2, it is so light to hold in on bed and read things on it.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I think it depends on the reason you use your tablet. I honestly only use mine b.c the battery on my phone was not up to par. I do not mind the screen size of surfing the web on a phone.

Anyways, the 6+ solved my battery problem so I gave my tablet away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.