Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chrisbkreme

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Hey guys, I have grandfathered unlimited data on my line. I know with the iPhone 5 there was a certain way we needed to do the upgrade in order to keep our unlimited data. I have an upgrade on my line, and was hoping I could get the 6, and keep my unlimited data.

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
Hey guys, I have grandfathered unlimited data on my line. I know with the iPhone 5 there was a certain way we needed to do the upgrade in order to keep our unlimited data. I have an upgrade on my line, and was hoping I could get the 6, and keep my unlimited data.

Is it a single line plan? If so, the only way you can keep your unlimited data is to buy the phone at full price and forego the carrier subsidy.

spazma7ik

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2009
Is it a single line plan? If so, the only way you can keep your unlimited data is to buy the phone at full price and forego the carrier subsidy.

And if it's a family plan and the line that has the upgrade is the one who wants the iPhone 6?

Mabenation

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2014
I am in the same situation sort of but I am on a family plan and my line is eligible for upgrade next month, Verizon is saying that if I transfer my upgrade to the non-UDP that it would still take my unlimited data since I am trying to upgrade a month early... I'm still gonna try and transfer the upgrade to the tiered plan and activate it on that line then deactivate from that line to my UDP line and see if it works..

samg77

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2014
For some reason pre-ordering an iPhone 6 at apple.com and adding a brand new verizon line, is allowing you to pick "unlimited iphone" as a data plan option! So BRAND NEW LINE, with unlimited data and the 2 year discount to boot! Not sure if Verizon will allow you to keep, in the past when the screwed up and sold an unlimited plan they have let the users who went through keep it. Just tried it myself. It works on people who still have the Family Share minute plans (the plans that have unlimited data on other lines)

iphone4all

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2012
previously posted - but thought a duplicate wouldn't hurt...

I have 5 iPhones - all ULD and 5 dumb phones on my account with Upgrades are everywhere across the account...

I want to get one iPhone 6 to replace an iphone5 while retaining my ULD.

Here is what I think will work.
1. Buy the iPhone 6 on an existing iPhone unlimited line - yes, i'll loose ULD there - but i will choose a low data consumption iPhone for the purchase.

2. Once it arrives, activate it, then return the old iphone to that line.

3. Then put my iphone 5 sim into the new iphone 6 and activate it on my ULD line.

So, the iPhone which was used for the upgrade looses their ULD - but should not matter as they are low data consumers - and i retain my ULD with an iphone 6.

In this scenario, I don't have to worry about the data charges being applied to a dumb phone line due to the new rules/loophole closure

Any thoughts???

samg77

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2014
previously posted - but thought a duplicate wouldn't hurt...

I have 5 iPhones - all ULD and 5 dumb phones on my account with Upgrades are everywhere across the account...

I want to get one iPhone 6 to replace an iphone5 while retaining my ULD.

Here is what I think will work.
1. Buy the iPhone 6 on an existing iPhone unlimited line - yes, i'll loose ULD there - but i will choose a low data consumption iPhone for the purchase.

2. Once it arrives, activate it, then return the old iphone to that line.

3. Then put my iphone 5 sim into the new iphone 6 and activate it on my ULD line.

So, the iPhone which was used for the upgrade looses their ULD - but should not matter as they are low data consumers - and i retain my ULD with an iphone 6.

In this scenario, I don't have to worry about the data charges being applied to a dumb phone line due to the new rules/loophole closure

Any thoughts???

Did you see my post? apple is taking pre-order for iPhone 6 allowing people on old Family Share plans that have unlimited data, to add a brand new line, and get a discounted iPhone 6 with unlimited iphone data plan. This probably wont last long but its worth a try, I just checked it as of 2 minutes ago its still working. Then if this works, and they actually let you keep unlimited data, turn off the line that you were going to do the upgrade with, and you will be left with 2 lines unlimited data, and a discounted iPhone 6. :)

iphone4all

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2012
Did you see my post? apple is taking pre-order for iPhone 6 allowing people on old Family Share plans that have unlimited data, to add a brand new line, and get a discounted iPhone 6 with unlimited iphone data plan. This probably wont last long but its worth a try, I just checked it as of 2 minutes ago its still working. Then if this works, and they actually let you keep unlimited data, turn off the line that you were going to do the upgrade with, and you will be left with 2 lines unlimited data, and a discounted iPhone 6. :)

Apple.com seems to stroke out when it comes to verifying upgrade eligibility for Verizon Business Accounts. Not sure if that will work for me...

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012

I just tried it and it didn't allow me to pick unlimited. I have the old family plan and it's all the tiered data plans. I do have Verizon.

samg77

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2014
I just tried it and it didn't allow me to pick unlimited. I have the old family plan and it's all the tiered data plans. I do have Verizon.

hmm i have unlimited already on 3 of the lines maybe thats the trigger. I have one in my cart, i refreshed and its still being offered.

GelatinousFury

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2014
hmm i have unlimited already on 3 of the lines maybe thats the trigger. I have one in my cart, i refreshed and its still being offered.

Same for me. We have 2x lines with unlimited data out of 4x total lines on an old nationwide plan. I have a new iPhone+ in the Apple store cart, at the subsidized price, and "unlimited iPhone" data plan is an option for creating a brand new 5th line.

This is an obvious fluke in the system, as UDP's are no longer an option for new Verizon lines. Who knows if they'll honor it or not.

Edit: Also being discussed in this thread
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1775323/

Last edited:

stephehl

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2014
Still possible to keep ULD data with Verizon if you have family shared plans

I've been doing this for the past 2 years. Of course this method requires you have at least one extra line that doesn't mind having only 2gb data. :)

I have 2 ULD lines and 2 2gb $30 lines. Upgrades are currently on the UDP lines.
Walk into Verizon store and ask to upgrade your two UDP lines, but have the upgrades transferred to your 2gb $30 lines first. Basically, you are upgrading your 2gb lines with the same contract keeping the 2gb. Once new iPhones are activated on your 2gb lines, switch devices out. You can switch them out online.

**Called Verizon to make sure of this... you can also have this done at the Apple Store. Have the Apple representative call Verizon to activate the new iPhone on the 2gb lines. If for any reason you lose the ULD, you can call Verizon after upgrading and they will be able to put you back on UDP. This happened to me last year, but I was still able to get UDP back.**

Lmk if you guys have any questions!

vehicross

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2014
iPhone 6 eligibility transfer problems

I have upgraded twice as new iPhones became available. I have 3 numbers and kept one number just to always have an eligibility available. One number has a smart phone data plan for a 5S. I always got a new 2 year plan. So, this time I called Verizon and confirmed I could do a number to number transfer of eligibility as I have in the past. Great.
So, I ordered and got my new iPhone 6 on 9/19/14. I called Verizon to do the number swap. No problem, BUT the number with eligibility would be assigned a smart phone data plan in addition to the existing number with a data plan. Something I do not want or need. This is a new policy as of August 24, 2014. Surprise!

I do not want to go to the EDGE plan. My only move is to send back my new iPhone 6 and cancel the whole transaction. No amount of explaining would get Verizon to treat me as they have in the past. Nice move three weeks prior to the big introduction. So, I will return the phone, cancel the spare number, and dump Verizon for ATT, when the dust settles. You can only screw your customers so far before they slip from Verizon's grasp.

My situation may be of some use to others.

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
Here you go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.