iPhone 6 vs 6+: Two weeks of using both and I still can't decide?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sofakng, Oct 24, 2014.

1. sofakng macrumors regular

I feel like a complete idiot, but I've been using both the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus for about two weeks and I really can't decide which one I want to keep.

I don't use my phone that much (for anything) but I do like the bigger screen on the 6 Plus. I keep thinking that I'll start playing more games on it, but it never happens and it probably won't, but who knows.

I think the 6 would work just fine for me, but I hate losing OIS and it seems like the entire industry is heading towards larger "phablets".

Anyways, the larger 6 Plus doesn't seem to take up that much more space in my pocket (that I can notice) but it is a tad bit more ackward to hold.

Anybody else have trouble deciding which to keep after trying them both out for an extended period of time?

EDIT: I had the same problem with the MacBook Air 11" and 13" and I am so glad I went with the 13" (and it's starting to look small!) so maybe the larger one is better for me?

2. noobinator macrumors 601

The battery life on the 6 Plus is reason enough to keep it.

3. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

I started watching YouTube videos a whole lot more on my 6 plus than I ever did on the 5s so although you don't do too many things on the phone now, your habits might change with that giant screen. Also the battery life is very good. I say keep the plus since you've had them both and don't mind it. Sure the plus is bigger to handle but the trade off is worth it big time.

4. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Just return one of them and move on with your life.

5. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

6. sofakng thread starter macrumors regular

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You better move on one of them, otherwise, you'll have to sell it and not return it ;)

My vote is the IP6+, just because the battery is so much better. That and the screen is gorgeous :)

8. badger91 macrumors regular

I was in the same situation. The 6+ battery life was the determining factor for me. Only issue is I can't find a plus now. At least you have both. Good luck!

9. MDDUCKMAN macrumors newbie

Battery Life is superior on the 6 Plus - that is the main reason I went with the 6 Plus over the 6.

10. redman042 macrumors 68020

I haven't bought either yet but have been debating extensively and spending lots of time with both in the store. I'm going with the 4.7" iPhone 6.

While sitting on the couch, at my office desk, or in a meeting, I would definitely prefer the 6+. It's a stunner.

If I'm carrying groceries and the phone rings, or holding my daughter's hand, or doing anything else, I'd prefer the 6. There are definitely plenty of times where one-handed use is convenient.

Even on the 6, one-handed use is pushed to the limit of feasibility. On the 6+, it's impossible. Reachability does not at all address the need to reach the letter Q the keyboard, which I have tried and failed to do no matter how I hold the plus with one hand.

Another complaint with the Plus: The landscape keyboard is neat but not at all ergonomic. My hands are normal sized but my thumbs struggle to reach the letters in the middle. This is a missed opportunity.

This decision is highly individual so you will have to think carefully through your own usage scenarios before deciding.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I know this is highly anecdotal, but my brother told me he gets almost 2 days of use with his 6+.

12. mixedup macrumors member

I'm in the same boat (more or less). Originally purchased the 6 and have used it since launch. Doesn't seem all that bigger to me than the 5 to be honest, and I'm jealous every time I walk into the :apple: store and see the 6 Plus. I've now ordered one of those and will try it out....will end up selling one of them at a loss unfortunately.

I have zero issues using the 6 with one hand (in an Otterbox Defender!). The Plus is totally manageable without a case based on the time I've spent with it in the store, but I will be using some kind of case, so only time will tell.

Shipping time on the Plus is still 3-4 weeks, so allegedly won't receive it until Nov 12th or after (ordered Oct 12th).

13. MEJHarrison macrumors 6502a

So that one works for you. Good.

Does the 6 Plus also work for you or are you just trying to stay ahead of the curve? Who cares where the industry is heading? This isn't about "the industry" getting a new phone. It's about YOU getting a new phone.

Reading your post makes me think that the 6 is all you need, but you're trying to justify the 6 Plus. I may be wrong. Still, pick the one you like best. If you like them equally, keep the cheaper one.

14. Caesars macrumors regular

If it's that even, just flip a coin and you will enjoy whichever.

15. CEmajr macrumors 601

The 6 Plus is better if you're mostly stationary.

For the uses you describe it sounds like you would be better off with the 6. OIS and "where you think the industry is headed" aren't good reasons to choose the 6 Plus.

16. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

I couldn't decide either and had to return an iPhone 6 and then a plus (which I was in the verge of keeping after 2 weeks with it) before I finally made the decision for buying another iPhone 6. Hopefully I stick with this one since the indecisiveness was driving me to drink.

17. *KID* macrumors regular

A storm knocked out our cable/net... iphone 6 plus came in handy to watch TV on my xfinity app :)

18. jterp7 macrumors 6502a

Video is much more watchable and book reading is actually possible for once. Note the largest con is that one handed use will suffer greatly. Also it will hurt more when you drop it on your face reading in bed.

----------

so sig is wrong or did you change back again?

19. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

If the 6+ is fine for your lifestyle, I'd stick with that. Only reason people want the 6 is for one-handed usage/more portability.

20. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

21. JWorld127 macrumors 6502

JWorld127

everybody? only 4 people had replied hahahaha

22. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

Yes but I was one of the 4 that replied and I think very highly of myself so just the fact my opinion was one of the 4 qualifies him to say everybody :)

23. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

Good eye and good question. I switched to Tapatalk so I don't see anybody's sigs not even my own. Just checked the mobile version of Macrumors and that doesn't display sigs either. I couldn't find an option to change it either. I'll have to check it when I'm on my MacBook rMBP on the desktop site.

I'm on my 2nd iPhone 6 so if my sig still says iPhone 6 plus that was my previous iPhone.

24. shr631 macrumors member

You're pretty judicious about 6 vs 6+ discussions from what I've read...what do you think the basic use case differentiation is? (One handedness [6] vs feature availability[6+]?)

25. Deeds500 macrumors regular

I think as the years go by the Plus model will become more and more the flagship iphone device, if for anything, because of the larger screen. Larger screen = more possibilities. It would not surprise me in the least if eventually the non plus model becomes to the plus model what the 5C is to the 5S. We are already seeing it this year with OIS and better battery. In years to come one handed versus two handed use will be a non issue so you may as well start getting used to the bigger model now. Smartphones will only get bigger, not smaller.