Other iPhone 6 VS 7 Speed over time

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by OkDude, Apr 22, 2018.

1. OkDude Suspended

OkDude

I had the iPhone 6 for three years after which it got very slow. Have used it a lot too of course. Now I have the 7. Can I expect this one to be also really slow after 3 years? Maybe even sooner since this one came out 1.5 years ago but only got it recently?

IS the new battery throttle option ging to make a difference?

Any thoughts?

2. sdwaltz macrumors 6502a

Aside from the info in eyoungren's post, there's also the fact that the speed bump from the 6/6 Plus to the 6s/6s Plus is big. Like, really big.

My Dad's 2-year-old 6s Plus basically runs like a brand new phone still, on iOS 11. The 7/7 Plus is obviously even faster than that.

My long-retired 6 Plus sputtered and struggled even on iOS 10, for reference.

TL;DR: theoretically the processor in the 7 should be good to go for quite a while, but you might need a battery replacement eventually.

3. sunapple macrumors 68000

sunapple

What difference would it make when you’ve already bought it?

4. maerz001 macrumors 65816

maerz001

5. aakshey macrumors 65816

aakshey

iOS 13 on iPhone 7 == iOS 10 on iPhone 6 in terms of speed.

So +1 iOS version.

My iPhone 7 on iOS 11 was already much slower than it was on iOS 10.

6. nordique macrumors 65816

A new battery will make it a lot more usable and fast enough imo

I have a 6 on a fresh battery and it runs absolutely fine on iOS 11.3

7. rodedwards macrumors member

I agree with Nordique ... I have iPhone 6 running iOS 11.3 and it was slow until i got a new battery last week. Now it is noticeably faster ...
    My Geekbench App phone processor speeds also are better and they do not drop with battery drainage.
    Just get a new battery - ideally from Apple.

8. now i see it macrumors 68030

The phones don't get slow. It's the software "upgrades" that kill them.
    It's a misnomer (and misleading) that newer versions of iOS are "upgrades". What's so "up" about slowing a phone down to unusability? The more accurate term for every new OS is "downgrade" - because that's what's guaranteed to happen to its performance.

iPhone 6 is plenty quick running on the OS it was designed for (ios9)

9. MacDevil7334 macrumors 65816

MacDevil7334

The iPhone 6 originally shipped with iOS 8. Though, generally you are safe upgrading one major iOS version past the original so it’s not surprising that iOS 9 runs well too (especially since it was touted as a bug fix release).

To answer the OP’s question, nobody really knows how the 7 will fare in 3 years. It should do a bit better than the 6 by virtue of having double the RAM at the very least.

10. aakshey macrumors 65816

aakshey

In 3 yrs iPhone 7 would be slower than the current iPhone 6. Anybody with common sense knows this. Double the RAM notwithstanding.