iPhone 6 vs iPhone 5S size and feel

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JerTheGeek, Nov 12, 2014.

1. JerTheGeek macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Hello all
    I am considering getting a used iPhone 5S, but mainly for the one handed use ability of it. I also want Touch ID and better camera and extra software features vs my 4S, but I can wait till my contract ends next August, or wait till September and get the 6S, to get those features and more. So the only reason I would get the 5S now is for the one handed usability of it. If I decide that I really love the 5S form factor, I'll get it for my bday this Dec because it makes sense to get it now as it will certainly run the latest iOS well for two more years at least. But ifirst I decide that I want the form factor of the 6 I'll hold off till next year and just get the iPad Air 2 for my bday.
    So what do you iphone 6 users say? Is the size hard to adjust to? Or is it really nice? Do you prefer the 5S?
    Thanks for any input!

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I'm a 6'1" male. The 6 is still pretty easy to work with one handed. Any odd moments are more than worth it for the extra screen real estate you get, but really it took about 2-3 days to get used to it. Picked up a 5s a few weeks ago and it was tiny, almost felt like I would crush it with my hands.

My wife is 5'6", came from a 4S, and she has had no problems adjusting to the 6.

3. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

The 5s is better in my book when it comes to how it feels in the hand. I like how you can grip it so securely and not worry about dropping it. The only reason I've stayed with my 6 is because the camera is so much better. I mean it's THAT good.

4. urkel macrumors 68030

Life with iPhone 6:

Day 1: Wow, this looks great but it feels bigger in one hand

Day 3: Wow, this look great

Day 5: Wow, the iPhone 5 looks like a toy. What was I thinking?

5. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

LOL
    For me, I choose the 5S. Thanks for by input guys! I have decided on an iPhone 5S 32gb from Gazelle, they have some awesome deals, and from a reliable company with a good warranty. I used the iPhone 6 in Best Buy just a few moments ago, and I found it to be, though still manageable, I still found it a bit too big and slightly uncomfortable. Cannot wait for the 5S for my bday in December! I just really like the design of the 5s over the 6; just seems so much nicer!

6. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

dont overthink it. i was worried about the size. got the 6+ and was completely comfortable with it in a few days. just get a 6 or 6+

7. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

You made a good choice. The 6 is just big enough to be a little awkward using one hand. Unfortunately the breaking news app has the close button in the top right corner and I can't get to it without shifting the phone.

8. Pelea macrumors 6502

Hey, i just upgraded from a 5s to a 6 myself yesterday and here's what you need to know:

1) the phone size will bother you a bit... the screen's fine, but the large bezels make the phone a lot less mobile in daily use
    2) performance is exactly the same.. i've seen no difference on the 6 to the 5s
    3) the screen size is nice on the 6 and can actually -almost- be used 1 handed (top right corner is tricky depending on how you hold it :p)
    4) the 5s can do everything the 6 can.. minus 1-2h of battery life

if i were you i'd get a 5s, it's definitely not worth the upgrade imo :)

----------

oh i just read you already chose the 5s. good choice :D

9. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Your conclusions are exactly what I thought; the 6 is nice, but just awkward enough to be uncomfortable in 1 hand.

10. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

5S owner here. I have been back to the Apple store to try out the phones quite few times (waiting for them to have stock). I think the 6 feels almost idea. It is the biggest size for me that does not require me to hold the phone any differently to use (e.g. one-hand text). BUT I still might go 6 Plus just because I have never had a phablet before . . .

11. kewldewd macrumors member

Ip6 is the most amazing device to hold & use after you get used to it..truly iconic. Don't miss out you can absolutely use it one handed & also Swype.

12. sluggozmom macrumors 6502

sluggozmom

My husband used the 6 for a week and went back to his 5

13. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I disagree. I'm 5'8" and don't have a problem with the 6 like I would with the 6+. I can reach the Q key easily as well as notifications so i can delete emails or quick reply to messages. Mine is even in a Tech21 case so its a little wider.

14. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I bought a 6, not only was it defective but it wasn't comfortable for me. So I just took that money and got myself a Mini and put a down on a 5s for JUMP with T-Mobile.

15. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

Coming from the 5s, I thought that I would have trouble adapting to the size of the 6. However, within a few days of owning the 6 I got used to the size so much that it's not a problem for me. I don't have huge hands as it is, but I still can use the phone with one hand. Although I found I use both hands more frequently on my 6 than I ever did with my 5s.

16. Slimmyhendrix macrumors regular

I am pretty dis-satisfied with how large the 6 is.
    I just can not keep the phone in my pocket while driving or while at work. It's just too big. Even with sweat pants on its just bulky. Try squatting down with a 6 in your front pocket. Yup, I feel sorry for anyone with a 6+. I can see why they bend.

Other than that the phone is great. Batter life is about 3-5 hours better than my 5c and 4s with comparable use.
    I do like the better security of the 6.

Edit:
    Also on the hand - comfort thing.
    I have big hands and long fingers. I can use it with one hand "ok" if I stretch it, but I am constantly using 2 hands like a blackberry because I feel I will drop the phone trying to use one hand to do everything. Imo (and apple) the 5/5c/5s is the perfect cellphone size for the common human hand.

17. cmichaelb, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2014

cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

I moved from a 5S to a 6. I'm 5'6" with big palms and short fingers.

I love it. There's an adjustment period. The double tap to slide the screen down does help. I have to use two hands more often than I needed to with the 5S(almost never used two hands except typing) but it's not a big deal. I'm actually surprised at how fast I've adjusted(I just got it on Veterans Day).

The 5S is a wonderful device. Use it and enjoy it. But when the time comes and you want to upgrade- you'll love the 6. I use iBooks a lot and this thing is incredible for reading.

18. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

That's how I felt when using the 6 in the store; it was possible to use it one handed but really not the best or most comfortable way to use it.

I'm really excited for the 5S. Basically all the cool features of the 6 minus Apple Pay which i'd never use anyway; yet the 5s is still in that super awesome form factor that I can use one handed without question.

19. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

I used Apple Pay for the first time today and I gotta admit, it was nice, but I understand - I didn't upgrade for that.

20. x34 macrumors 6502

21. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

22. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

The 5 was always uncomfortable using for long periods!

6+ is perfect!

23. x34 macrumors 6502

see, another new thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1818317

go and tell him he can't take pictures duh :rolleyes:

24. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Opinions are like buttholes and they all stink. Are we going to say that all iPhone 6 pictures are inferior based on a 1%? I'd like to think that it's entirely possible that people are taking great photos with an iPhone 6 at this very moment.

IPhone 6 photo from my friend:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415977913.262820.jpg

25. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

There are many variables and different factors. I too, am a hobby photographer. I have received critical recognition for some of my photos. I take many, many photos with my iPhone and the iPhone 6 has been the best by far, and I previously had the 5s, 5 and 4S.

It's all objective, and very "situational". Many critical camera sites have done comparative tests with smartphone cameras, and recently, the iPhone 6 has either come on top or damn near the top in most of their tests.