iPhone 6 wait or buy?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nandifix, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Nandifix macrumors 6502

Hi guys, so I had an iPhone 3GS upto about 4 months ago until it broke. I was going to buy the 5S but a work colleague gave me a nokia lumia 800 so I thought I would wait for the rumoured larger iPhone 6, however it's driving me mad with the lack of apps so would you recommend the 5S today?

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The 5s is a great phone and if you need a phone now, it's probably one of the best choices.

If you can wait, the iPhone 6 is probably about 6 months away.

Alternatively, you could save your upgrade(if you're still on a subsidized plan) and pick up a Nexus 5 for $350-400 or a Google edition Moto G for $179-200 and give Android a try until then.

3. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I just bought an unlocked 5S for a family member, and I'm still within my 14 days return policy. And with all the hype of the 6 in as little as 6-mos. away, We've decided to keep the 5S.

4. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I'd wait until the 6. You have a good phone, perfectly serviceable. Use it until the 6 releases. Personal policy for me if it's less than six months wait, if it's more then go ahead and buy. The suggestion for a Nexus is also a good one. You can pick up relatively new Android phones for dirt cheap.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

6. redkamel macrumors 6502

7. sixrom macrumors 6502a

I'd avoid buying an outdated iPhone now, the iPhone 6 will be well worth the wait.

8. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

If you want to get an iPhone then go out and buy one. You'll be waiting your whole life if your goal is to stay ahead of technology and obsolescence. I'm still using the iPhone 3G as a phone(although I have an iPad Mini Retina for everything else) and I don't feel like I'm missing much. I'm assuming the iPhone 5S will still be relevant two years from now; will still be receiving software updates so you should be good.

9. Infinus.gold macrumors regular

Infinus.gold

Why don't you buy a used iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 for cheap...
    You can enjoy iOS7 too.
    and later once iPhone 6 (if this is what it's callled) is released you can buy it..
    or
    you can choose to wait for iPhone 6S (if this is what it's callled).

10. Robster3 macrumors 68000

If you can do with a overpriced piss ant small screen buy now. I would wait for IP6.
    I just sold a 5S and bought a cheap android to run with till Apple comes up with a descent size screen.
    If you are that set on a iPhone get a cheap 5C second hand or ebay and sell it when the 6 arrives.

11. R.Stoychev macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you have no phone, or are in need of one, then yeah, get the 5s, if you can wait another 6 months then that would be the best plan of action.

13. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

What about if you do not want a 5.5" screen?:p

14. theromz macrumors regular

I would get a Moto G and use that till the iPhone 6 drops, its a solid phone and you can get it dirt cheap. It is also good to have a solid backup device.

15. sock macrumors newbie

16. Nandifix thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys, I think I will wait it out for the iPhone 6 as it saves me some money compared to buying the 5S now and then selling it once the 6 comes out.

17. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

The iPhone 6 is a good few months away. If you can live with the lumia for 6 months or so, then wait for it. If you miss iOS and the apps, and you cant go that long without them, get the 5S.

Though, what are your upgrade options? are you on the 2 year contract upgrade cycle?

And are there any rumored features about the iPhone 6 that you want to have? (i.e. larger screen). You dont want to get the 5S and be kicking yourself and have to wait another 2 years until the iPhone 6s or 7 comes out. But seeing as youve had an iphone 3GS for so long, I dont think you'd care about not having the latest and greatest. I think the 5S will suit you.

18. NoBaaad macrumors newbie

Same question here. My iphone4 is almost 4 years old, and it is very slow now. I'm wondering if I should choose 5s since it's easy to get one now, or should I wait 6 or maybe HTC One M8(but I don't like the color):confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: