iPhone 6 wait or buy?

Nandifix

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2012
Hi guys, so I had an iPhone 3GS upto about 4 months ago until it broke. I was going to buy the 5S but a work colleague gave me a nokia lumia 800 so I thought I would wait for the rumoured larger iPhone 6, however it's driving me mad with the lack of apps so would you recommend the 5S today?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
The 5s is a great phone and if you need a phone now, it's probably one of the best choices.

If you can wait, the iPhone 6 is probably about 6 months away.

Alternatively, you could save your upgrade(if you're still on a subsidized plan) and pick up a Nexus 5 for $350-400 or a Google edition Moto G for $179-200 and give Android a try until then.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
Hi guys, so I had an iPhone 3GS upto about 4 months ago until it broke. I was going to buy the 5S but a work colleague gave me a nokia lumia 800 so I thought I would wait for the rumoured larger iPhone 6, however it's driving me mad with the lack of apps so would you recommend the 5S today?
I just bought an unlocked 5S for a family member, and I'm still within my 14 days return policy. And with all the hype of the 6 in as little as 6-mos. away, We've decided to keep the 5S.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
I'd wait until the 6. You have a good phone, perfectly serviceable. Use it until the 6 releases. Personal policy for me if it's less than six months wait, if it's more then go ahead and buy. The suggestion for a Nexus is also a good one. You can pick up relatively new Android phones for dirt cheap.

sixrom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
I'd avoid buying an outdated iPhone now, the iPhone 6 will be well worth the wait.

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
If you want to get an iPhone then go out and buy one. You'll be waiting your whole life if your goal is to stay ahead of technology and obsolescence. I'm still using the iPhone 3G as a phone(although I have an iPad Mini Retina for everything else) and I don't feel like I'm missing much. I'm assuming the iPhone 5S will still be relevant two years from now; will still be receiving software updates so you should be good.

Infinus.gold

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2014
Why don't you buy a used iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 for cheap...
You can enjoy iOS7 too.
and later once iPhone 6 (if this is what it's callled) is released you can buy it..
or
you can choose to wait for iPhone 6S (if this is what it's callled).

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
If you can do with a overpriced piss ant small screen buy now. I would wait for IP6.
I just sold a 5S and bought a cheap android to run with till Apple comes up with a descent size screen.
If you are that set on a iPhone get a cheap 5C second hand or ebay and sell it when the 6 arrives.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
If you have no phone, or are in need of one, then yeah, get the 5s, if you can wait another 6 months then that would be the best plan of action.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
If you can do with a overpriced piss ant small screen buy now. I would wait for IP6.
I just sold a 5S and bought a cheap android to run with till Apple comes up with a descent size screen.
If you are that set on a iPhone get a cheap 5C second hand or ebay and sell it when the 6 arrives.
What about if you do not want a 5.5" screen?:p

theromz

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2013
I would get a Moto G and use that till the iPhone 6 drops, its a solid phone and you can get it dirt cheap. It is also good to have a solid backup device.

Nandifix

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2012
Thanks guys, I think I will wait it out for the iPhone 6 as it saves me some money compared to buying the 5S now and then selling it once the 6 comes out.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
The iPhone 6 is a good few months away. If you can live with the lumia for 6 months or so, then wait for it. If you miss iOS and the apps, and you cant go that long without them, get the 5S.

Though, what are your upgrade options? are you on the 2 year contract upgrade cycle?

And are there any rumored features about the iPhone 6 that you want to have? (i.e. larger screen). You dont want to get the 5S and be kicking yourself and have to wait another 2 years until the iPhone 6s or 7 comes out. But seeing as youve had an iphone 3GS for so long, I dont think you'd care about not having the latest and greatest. I think the 5S will suit you.

NoBaaad

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2014
Same question here. My iphone4 is almost 4 years old, and it is very slow now. I'm wondering if I should choose 5s since it's easy to get one now, or should I wait 6 or maybe HTC One M8(but I don't like the color):confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: