iPhone 6 - wireless charging?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Barbs, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Barbs macrumors 6502

I read an article recently that predicted that the next iphone would utilize wireless charging. If this turns out to be true, how do you think this would work? Would you need to put your phone down on some special charging mat?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's how they all work now. Apple isn't the first to the party in this endeavor

3. AlphaHumanus macrumors 6502a

I hope this is the case. Solely for the neat factor. As well as waterproofing like the s5. Which would be really helpful.

I vaguely remember an article about apple having applied for wireless charging field devices, or something similar. Allowing you to charge by being in proximity.

4. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Laziness, plus you can't use your phone whilst charging....and mostly the extra crud in the airwaves to affect our health.

5. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

Wouldn't it be funny if all of the thick lines on all of the iPhone 6 leaks had something to do with wireless charging? Kinda like when Steve Jobs revealed that all of the criticized black lines on the steel band of the iPhone 4 had to do with the antenna system...

People were like "MIND BLOWN!"

6. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

Wireless charging is a gimmick in my eyes. You still need to plug in what charges the iPhone.

And no. Apple will not introduce wireless charging with the iPhone 6.

7. cire1244 macrumors regular

To me, wireless charging is like NFC. It seems cool, but when you think about it there isn't much practical value.

8. cynics macrumors G4

Assuming we are talking the way it's done now and not the way it's been displayed for future tech (ie merely sitting in front of your Mac and your phone is charging in you pocket like Apples patents) it still adds a layer of convenience.

Instead of plugging it in every night or at the office you lay it on a charging pad in the same place. Need to use it just pick it up and use it, none of this stretching you head over to the night stand when you receive a call at night. Or fumbling around in the dark trying to plug it in. Watching the cord slide behind the desk or nightstand. Cords getting yanked. Cords wearing out. Etc etc.

Even mild convenience negates gimmick status. And if you are the type of person that doesn't like it for whatever reason then you can pretend it doesn't exist and use the phone like you always have.

Is it coming to the iPhone 6? Probably not. But it is coming eventually. This world has been moving toward wireless solutions since the wire was invented. Holding on to that is just living in the past.

9. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I would LOVE this. Don't see it happing but would love if it did. I have not used wireless charging personally but have seen some of my favorite YouTubers use cases for it and they have said you need to line it up exactly. That would kill all the fun so if apple could make it so I could toss my phone on it and It would charge it would be super awesome

10. lwood1 macrumors 6502

Would be cool. Starbucks now has charging pads build into the tables...

11. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Wireless charging is nice

Didn't have it on my 5S and didn't miss it. Now that I have it on my LG G2 I really like it. Just put it down and it charges, no wires to mess with and no failures of a lightning port.

12. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

The lightning port is one of the few things I haven't experienced problems with on my iPhone 5. It is a MUCH better solution than the usb ports on Android phones which are just a friction fit. They feel cheap and nasty.

13. cynics macrumors G4

Moot point when talking about wireless charging.

14. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Not really, the poster I quoted specifically mentioned a weakness in the lightning port.

15. cynics macrumors G4

Sorry, I meant the USB plug.

16. 1Zach1 macrumors 65816

1Zach1

It would be a game changer if Apple introduced 1m wireless charing in the 6, but I don't see it happening.

17. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Have you changed your tinfoil hat lately? :D

18. Enabledobject macrumors 6502

Enabledobject

+1
    At least with a charge cord, you can still use the device while it's charging. That'd be kind of hard to do whilst sitting on a "charge pad"

19. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I don't believe that all this WiFi and cellular radiation in the airwaves is at all good for us. Necessary perhaps, and we have all grown to want it, but still harmful. Yeah there have been studies and the jury is still out, but I know that if I sit next to my WiFi router my tinnitus increases in volume - so it is having some kind of an effect on me. So, unnecessary additional crud in the airwaves is a bad idea. We don't *need* to have cable-free charging, it certainly isn't imperative.

20. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

See, you call it radiation without understanding what it actually is. WiFi and Cellular use radio waves which are considered a class 2b carcinogen - less hazardous than a cup of coffee or automobile exhaust. But you won't stop drinking coffee and driving your car, will you? :p

21. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

Yeah. Hadn't thought of that. You could text I suppose with your fingers but that's about it. Would take longer than normal though!

22. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Smoking was once considered not only safe, but actually a healthy thing to do. Not all that long ago either ;-)

23. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Non ionizing electromagnetic radiation.

Visible light is also non-ionizing electromagnetic radiation, just of a much higher frequency then wifi and cellular.

Non-ionizing means it doesn't have enough energy to liberate electrons from atoms... Doesn't have the capability to effect the atoms in your tissue.

24. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

Wireless charging is far from a make or break feature for me, but I do think it's neat.

I'm betting either wireless charging or NFC/mobile payment is the wow factor for the "6s" next year. This year we know we're getting a larger phone, possibly in two sizes. That alone is going to get upgrades. They need to save something for the "s" like they do every year.

25. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced