iPhone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CosmoPilot, Jul 16, 2011.

1. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

I posted this a while back, and got slammed for asking this when the 5 hasn't even been announced yet.

However, Apple normally releases new iPhones in the Summer. Since 2011 will be different, I'm wondering what everyone thinks about 2012?

I know only Apple knows, I'm only asking what others in here speculate. It would blow for many of us to purchase a Fall 2011 iPhone only to have a 4G super iPhone released a few months later in the summer of 2012.

What are your thoughts:
    (1) Apple sticks with the new Fall release schedule (assuming the rumors of a September launch are accurate) OR,
    (2) Apple gets back on a summer release schedule starting in 2012.

If this question seems outlandish, I apologize in advance.

2. haticK macrumors 6502a

haticK

I think the iPhone 5 is only coming out in the fall because they simply needed more time to test it and make sure they don't have silly problems like the antenna on the iPhone 4. So basically, I think it will just depend on how much time they feel is needed.

3. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Apple diehards love to upgrade every year. And if a new phone came out every 6 months they would love that too. That's just the way it is.

Anyone that is concerned that a new model is coming too soon.... well that's hard to understand. Nobody is forcing you to buy anything!!

I'm ready for the 5, 6, and whatever comes next. :D

4. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I really hope the next iPhone follows previous release dates ... It makes more sense to spread out their product updates/refreshes/launches rather than putting all the iPods, iPhone and even maybe the rumored upgraded iPad in one sitting.

5. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

That's 9 months later, not a few. It's only a phone dude, I'm sure you could last another 3 months before upgrading (apparently if you spend $100+ per month you get you're upgrade pushed up anyway) or just sell your current phone and pay the difference between the two.

I think the future release schedule would be based on the success of the iPhone 5 release, if it's good they would keep it, if not they would probably revert to the prior schedule.

6. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Hell, why don't we just start talking about the 7th generation while we are at it.

My guess: shoots lasers, folds your laundry, 35 megapixel camera, all in a package less than 3 micrometres thick.

7. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Don't be ridiculous. This is a serious message board. Everyone knows the iPhone can't fold your laundry.

8. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Verizon used to be that way. They would call you like a "premium user" or something like that. But they have gone away completely with the 1 year contract and the 1 year early upgrade.

All US cell companies are being super greedy nowadays.

9. CosmoPilot thread starter macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Guess I should mention my household now sports 4 iPhones. Early upgrades don't apply to all of them. Im upgrading regardless, just curious what others thought Apple would do since they are so tight lipped about everything.

10. labman macrumors 604

labman

Ah but the Jailbroken version will! We will even have a switch in SB Settings to turn it off! :D

11. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

You forgot the integrated toothpaste dispenser.

12. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Hey, that would be a nice feature. I could go for an integrated toothbrush holder too, kind of like a stylus.

13. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

14. Alchematron macrumors 6502a

Alchematron

Better have a bigger screen!

That's for dang sure! :mad:

15. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

They can do whatever they want as long as they don't make the form factor any bigger. Hell, put two screens on the front or make it a triangle. Just don't make the device larger.

16. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

Definitely agreed. I would LOVE to have a new iPhone every six months. Especially if it came with the upgrade eligible pricing. :D

17. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

I picture Apple doing fall releases from here out. WWDC is when the iPhones have been released, but it does make more sense to make that strictly a software event. After all, it is a developers conference. This makes it easier too as Apple doesn't have to hold special events in early spring for the upcoming iOS that'll be released on the new hardware at the software conference in June. Just doesn't make much sense.

Whether or not the iPhone 5 will be announced alongside new iPods (as Apple has done previously with their September iPod events), who knows. I bet they will though.

18. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

I think we will see a summer iPhone next year. The only reason I think this year switched schedules is because of iCloud. A lot of features if iOS 5 require iCloud, such as PC-free, for example. I don't think Apple wanted to become completely PC free in iOS 5.1, so if iCloud wasn't ready, then they would have to push it back. And I also believe that Apple wouldn't want to release a new iPhone without the new software. Why release the iPhone 5 with iOS 4.3.3, or even an iOS 4.4, why not just wait and hopefully attract new customers because they will no longer need a computer to own an iPhone?

Again, just my thoughts, no based on anything except what I believe.

19. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

I think the biggest reason for the switch this year was the Verizon iPhone 4. It would have been odd to have had the Verizon iPhone on the market for only 5 (I think?) months and then just replace it with something new.

20. bandofbrothers, Jul 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2011

bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Hi,

No matter what apple releases it ultimately comes down to ones disposable income to buy that release.

With many locked into long contacts I can see lots of frustration on the horizon.

21. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think it will stay in the fall. I'm pretty sure that over the next few years they will be phasing out the iPod in favor of the iPhone and they need something to release in the fall. They probably decided to change the release schedule now because with the Verizon iPhone and the white iPhone they where able to extend the life of the iPhone 4.

22. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Getting rid of the iPod would be stupid. They could simply produce less of them. They are still selling, just not as well as in the past.

23. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

This is a good point but also verizon customers would have been disappointed to see the release of a new phone just months after they got the verizon iPhone. Also they had to attract customers to the white iPhone this is why Apple said there would be no hardware release at WWDC. I think they will go back to the regular schedule. iPhone 5 sometime between aug. and oct. depending on what you read and the next gen afterwards at WWDC 2012.

24. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I don't think the would do it yet, but sales are in decline as people transition to smartphones. In a 4 or 5 years I think the iPod will be killed off.

25. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

There are still heaps of people who want an mp3 player rather than a phone though. An iPod touch is a great way to access iOs without needing an iPhone, and an iPad is just too big to carry around everyday. I think they may trim the iPod line down, but never get rid of it.