iPhone 6s+ 64GB saying storage is full

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Spinit14, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Spinit14 macrumors member

Hello all, I have an iPhone 6s+ since release day and in the past 24 hours I have been getting a notification that my storage is full. When I go into the settings and look at storage and whats taking up space, I am nowhere near capacity; yet it's saying I am. Has anyone ever had this problem?

2. milan.alphanso macrumors newbie

3. Spinit14 thread starter macrumors member

I'm running iOS 9.2.1

4. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Are you sure it's not iCloud storage that is popping up saying its full? Notifications look similar.

5. Spinit14 thread starter macrumors member

No, it's the phone storage.

Attached Files:

6. MUBiomed macrumors 6502

MUBiomed

Edit: I see what you mean in that the numbers don't add to 53GB.

7. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I did for a couple hours on my plus. I kept powering off phone and reconnecting to iTunes. It eventually sorted. Good luck.

8. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Do you use stream music or videos from the cloud? If so, they don't show up as 'storage' but they cache in the background. They will fall in the 'other' category on Storage in iTunes. It is not visible from the phone.

9. patt2k macrumors regular

that would have to be quite a lot music streamed in fast amount of time.. either way it wouldn't take up so much lol

10. Spinit14 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I stream music from spotify.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 1, 2016 ---
    Yeah, that's why I can't figure out what's going on.

11. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I did say movies too. I've watched a few movies from the cloud and it has taken 20gb+ of background space.

12. Spinit14 thread starter macrumors member

Ive tried everything you guys have said, I just wiped the phone clean and I'm starting over.

13. Sare2514 macrumors newbie

Sare2514

Have you checked your "Recently deleted" album? Maybe it takes up your storage. You can read this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...ne-storage-almost-full.1951573/#post-22495360

You are running iOS 9.2.1, it's the latest version. So it has no association with system. Maybe you can try to use professional tools to clean up space for your iPhone. iMyfone Umate is a program which can free up space with more than 25 analyzation techniques and technologies(I read this from lifehack). If you don't want to do like this, you can try to back up your data first, then deleting all data and reset your iPhone, at last, restore your iPhone. Hope this helps!

14. IamDave macrumors regular

IamDave

I coincidentally have the exact same problem on my 6 plus 64GB (just noticed today) and my phone storage shows I've used 54.7GB whereas the numbers don't add up to anywhere near this.

I then plugged it into the mac and launched iTunes and once it had synced it said I've used 35.25GB!!!! of documents and data. Checked my iPad to see if it's downloaded documents from iCloud or something and iPad is fine (also I don't have even 1GB of data on iCloud). Screen Shot 2016-02-02 at 11.33.13.png

15. daijholt macrumors 6502a

daijholt

My girlfriend had this issue last month. I've never seen this problem before, but restoring the device through iTunes and setting up as new solved it.

Restoring an iCloud AND iTunes backup both resulted in the issue returning with a few days, so it's almost definitely an iOS bug that persists within backups.

16. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Restoring via iTunes is the only way I know of to fix this. Has this on my AT&T 64GB 6S+ and found my Other was in excess of 20GB.
    It has been a very rare issue (2x since Sept)

17. Spinit14 thread starter macrumors member

I restored my phone to factory settings last night and the problem is fixed

18. daijholt macrumors 6502a

daijholt

But did you restore a backup?

19. Spinit14 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I did

20. daijholt macrumors 6502a

daijholt

When I had a the issue a wipe fixed it, but restoring the backup meant the problem returned after a few days. Let us know how it turns out.

21. Boneheadxan, Feb 5, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2016

Boneheadxan macrumors regular

Boneheadxan

I got my 64GB 6S+ a week ago. I didn't bother restoring from my old 5S backup and instead set it up as a new phone.

After reading this thread, I just noticed it says Used:16.2GB/Available:39GB
    Strangely all the apps and data only add up to 6GB. :(

Can anyone confirm, a restore from backup doesn't fix this?
    It'll be a pain to re-download and sign in to everything.

EDIT:
    So, I ended up using 'PhoneView' to figure out what was eating up the data. Now, since the day of purchase I had ignored updating the iMovie app (616Mb). Under disks>Downloads, I found a huge bunch of folders taking up about 7GB in space. Each folders payload pointed to the iMovie app. Seems like it kept trying to re-download parts of the update. There were a few other partial apps as well. I deleted all of them and got back 7GB. Now it reads Used:9GB/Available:46GB.
    iTunes shows 730Mb in the Others folder. Previously it was 7GB.

Hope this helps someone.

22. William Wales macrumors member

William Wales

I don't agree that it's an iOS bug that persists within backups. I think it's not a bug. When you restore from iTunes, the temporary files and caches are cleaned up. The backup files preserve your data which include photos, videos, books, App data..... All of these backups may take up a huge number of storage, which make your iPhone storage full.

23. ChrisWilliam macrumors member

ChrisWilliam

Yep. Maybe you can try some useful tools to analyze why your iPhone storage is full. but if you want to restore via iTunes, you'd better make sure that you have backup files.

24. Corgirat macrumors member

My Other data is 13GB and I was able to find out this is to do with syncing my videos(not movies) via iTunes. I did clean restores multiple times and every time I sync videos back into iPhone this other data comes back. Do you think phoneview can pinpoint which video is causing this issue?

25. Boneheadxan macrumors regular

Boneheadxan

It should let you access the folder the video resides in and delete it. There are a few media folders it lets you navigate under disks.