Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does this matter to you?

• Yes

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • It's good they added that feature

Votes: 45 38.1%
  • I really don't care about it

Votes: 16 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 19 16.1%

• Total voters

whyamihere

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
'nati
Between this and the stronger aluminum and glass, I feel even more confident in not paying this year's ridiculous increase in AppleCare+!

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Last year I recall seeing another video with the iPhone submerged the same way, and no its not water proof. But, go ahead you believers, and see for yourself, and come back here in a week or so. Hope you have AppleCare +

Electrics

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2015
That's crazy. Not sure what motivates people to do such things to brand new iPhones right out of the box but I'm glad they do. ;)
Money. Videos with hundreds of thousands (or millions) of views make people money.

soupcan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2014
Netherlands
The Watch Sport (or all the Watches for that matter) is also water proof, and Apple never mentioned it anywhere. It's good to see though.

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
The Watch Sport (or all the Watches for that matter) is also water proof, and Apple never mentioned it anywhere. It's good to see though.
That's simply not true, it's mentioned EVERYWHERE, including in the manual and on Apple's website, which states clearly that 'Apple Watch has a water-resistance rating of IPX7 under IEC standard 60529'.

Last edited:
Reactions: haruhiko

g000

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2008
The guy from the original YouTube video reported in Twitter tlater hat after the phones dried up, the speakers and lightning connectors all worked fine.

Here's another separate water test on the iPhone 6s plus

trevoclark

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2015
When I first took my 6s Plus out of the box, it just felt strong. Between that feeling and YouTubers dropping, bending, and soaking them, these definitely feel like an excellent upgrade.

HippieMagic

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
I'm confident that the phone won't die with a quick unintentional dip in water. I also believe it will hold up fine if I spill something on it. It is not waterproof. It's just resistant enough to probably not die during normal usage. I'm ok with that. I would prefer it to be waterproof but I don't think it's really all that necessary.

I don't recall the Watch manual saying anything about waterproof but I do remember it saying that if you have a sticky dial you can hold it under a faucet for a few to clean it.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i put my iPhone 6 in the bath tub a few months ago for 15 minutes and it just wouldnt die. a friend dropped his in the toilet for 5 seconds and its dead. it all depends on luck somewhat

Zaidat

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2015
i put my iPhone 6 in the bath tub a few months ago for 15 minutes and it just wouldnt die. a friend dropped his in the toilet for 5 seconds and its dead. it all depends on luck somewhat

I never put my iPhone 4 anywhere near water and it died. Took it to the Apple Store and they said water damage killed it. I am still puzzled by it. But it lasted for 4+ years so I can't complain.

Streetmagus22

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2015
I think it's fake and that is not water, but mineral oil. The same stuff they submerge computers parts in for those types of builds.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I think it's fake and that is not water, but mineral oil. The same stuff they submerge computers parts in for those types of builds.
Bubbles on the surface look like water tension. Also when lifted out it flows off and wipes off like water would. Mineral oil is much more viscous than water.

EDIT: Just to add I'm still skeptical that it is real. Just don't think it is mineral oil. More likely is something like Liquipel and unseen plugs. Although I hope it turns out to be true. We will know in a week or so as others experiment.

Last edited:

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
The phones are lying in water with almost no movement, air bubbles will to some extend stop water from getting in.

hutrebug

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2015
Being waterproof (and dustproof) didn't help Sony sell more Xperia phones. ;)

And it's water resistant. Waterproof is like those Casio G-shock watches, which you can wear and then go for a swim, maybe even do some shallow sea diving.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida

Now why would you deliberately put a phone in your bath for 15 minutes ? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.