iPhone 6S battery dies early

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by isaihtb11, Feb 13, 2016.

1. isaihtb11 macrumors regular

I got my 6S on launch day. Sometimes randomly, the phone would die when the battery is between 25 and 40%. I don't know why this happens, and I tried restoring it already. I went to the Apple Store and they told me again to restore it with iTunes and set up as new. I tried that, and this issue still goes on. This has been happening for about 3 months. Do I need a new phone or could be a software bug?

2. bbrks macrumors 65816

bbrks

Something must be wrong with the battery. I would go to Apple store again and demand a new phone.

3. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

Did you setup new 6s from scratch, not using any backup to restore at all?

Any battery issue when you goto Apple genius, 1st thing they will tell you is to restore iPhone back to factory setting, and setup it as brand new phone, NOT restore from any backup, specially backup from previous gen of HW.

I tent to agreed with them, restore any SW backup from any smartphone, tablet, Mac, PC,.... from previous men's backup always has possibility any OS or 3rd party app/setting/preference won't play well with new gen HW, which sometime will not function correctly with previous gen setting/preference/driver.
    Personally, I always setup as new device for any HW gen change, just so I don't have to deal with any issue related to HW gen change, if it come up.

4. bbrks macrumors 65816

bbrks

All you said is OK, but that wouldn't cause a phone to turn off with battery on 40 %.

5. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

Not everything in this world could be root cause, sometime it is easier just take on solution without root cause, and move on.
    And not everything is worth to know exact root cause, and if you want to truly root cause, you will need to root cause all the way down to atom molecular level, to truly "root cause".

6. bbrks macrumors 65816

bbrks

Wooow, OK :)...but all the OP needs to do is demand a new phone :D

7. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

I assume you had same situation before, and able to "demand" a new phone from Apple genius, or you are a Apple genius, or it is just all your imagination?:rolleyes:

8. applesoundgear macrumors member

This happens with my 5s. I went to Apple about it.
    A lot of iPhones across generations are shutting down in colder temperatures- not even REALLY cold, just cooler than average. Low 60s and below. They have no fix for that.
    Some people have been able to fix it by doing a fresh install of iOS 9. But only some.

9. bbrks macrumors 65816

bbrks

Not personally, but some friends of mine got a new phone because of pretty much the same issue.... however we are in Europe....didn't know that in USA the situation is different....feel sorry for you :)

10. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

Sounds like you have more than one "friends" all have same battery issue, and they all able to exchange new iPhone without issue. Interesting..... :rolleyes:

I have no issue exchange for new iPhone for different reason. "Here" is USA is no different than "there" in Europe, Apple product is Apple product, it isn't any different or better when it is shipped to Europe.

11. bbrks macrumors 65816

bbrks

Yeah, I was sure it was the same, but obviously it's not. Oh, well, that's life I guess :)

12. Amplelink macrumors 6502a

Are you doing something like taking a video or some other intense activity when it dies?

13. bbrks, Feb 14, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2016

bbrks macrumors 65816

bbrks

OK, here how it was with a friend of mine. His iPhone 6S was also turning off with randomly with 30 - 40 % battery charge on it. He went to the authorized Apple service and they told him the same thing. Restore and see how it goes. Since nothing changed, he went again and asked for a new phone. At first, they didn't want to exchange it and at the end of the day they agreed to keep the phone at the service for couple of days to test it.
    3 days later, they called my friend and told him to come again to pick up his new phone.

EDIT: Check this thread out. Sounds familiar:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/has-anyone-else-had-this-issue.1956259/

14. jasie02, Feb 14, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2016

jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

Got it, you mean your one "friend" in macrumor, interesting...o_O

15. scriptkitten macrumors regular

scriptkitten

i'm having this issue as well. i took it to the apple store the other day. they did a scan and no hardware problems were found. then they did "reset all settings" and noticed that the battery had been reporting incorrect percentage prior to the reset. on their diagnostic iPad the battery percentage reported did not match what was on the iPhone screen. this explains why my phone was always shutting off at like 28%.

they said to take it home and see if it was better after the reset and if it was not they would replace my phone on the next visit.

i too, did a wipe and restore to no effect a few weeks ago.

16. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

They have that European buyer protection thing. Apple probably caves more often in Europe due to that, because there is more at risk.

17. bbrks macrumors 65816

bbrks

OK, my friend, obviously you have a problem believing my story. All I tried to do here is to help the OP. I have suggested him to try to get a replacement and told him the story I know is 100 % truth. The service I was talking about is iStyle. They are also official Apple re-sellers. Please, feel free to check them out on internet. You know, GOOGLE is our best friend :).
    But still, there is one thing I don't understand. The whole time in this thread, you are posting crap about how you don't believe what I say. Why don't you try instead, just once, to give the OP another idea how to solve his problem, since you obviously don't like mine. Fair enough?

18. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

That's possible, but Apple store genius in One Infinite Loop, Cupertino, CA, USA close to me are very nice also, and I have no issue getting any replacement with right reason, after go through exercise they like to see, without me knowing the root cause, which is all I did on my 1st post in this thread.
    Someone insist getting root cause is important, and someone's friends (plural not single, and friends not someone never meet or does not know first name posted on macrumor) has no issue getting replacement. ;)
    --- Post Merged, Feb 14, 2016 ---
    Dude, read whole thread again, you are the one jump on my 1st reply post not for you. Stop jumping on people's respond if you could not take the heat, or you need to learn how to read and reply in the thread.
    Every post I did this thread, if I am response to you, I quote you, if not, it is not for you, it is for the OP.

1ST ONE IS NOT FOR YOU, since I DID NOT QUOTE YOU.

By the way, you are breaking every BS meter in every respond, stop embarrass yourself and stop make yourself losing credibility, it is good to speak simply true not exaggerate (==lying).

19. bbrks macrumors 65816

bbrks

Well, forgive me my ignorance, English is not my native language. :)
    But again, OP is waiting for another idea how to solve the problem and I don't see it anywhere.
    And frankly, as long as I get a new phone as a replacement, I don't care for a root cause :) get it?

20. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

A retail store is a retail store. While I will say that most of the time apple emploees tend to err on the side of friendly replacement free of cost, it definitely varies based on store and location. I have heard (online threads, and a few personal friends) with obvious issues (some potentially software, most potentially not) where they have done wrong by the customer, and it wasn't even close to being otherwise.

21. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

I understand what you say.

My experience is when I walk into Apple store, if I treat Apple genius as any people like to be treated without getting agreed, or maybe even treat them better than I would treat a stranger, since guess what, I need their help, not the other way around, I never have issue getting resolution what I need help.

In any service business, there is rules, and there is always exception within boundary, and people get exception treatment, within boundary, normally when they are nice to people try to help them without showing anger and take frustration on them. It paid to be nice to people you need help from.

22. Amplelink macrumors 6502a

I agree with this. Apple Geniuses appear to have a ton of leeway in treating customers. So it ends up being that service sort of varies depending on who you get. If you're nice and your problem is genuine, Apple service is usually nothing less than awesome.