Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skylitfly

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Coming from regular iPhone 6 this feels absurd. I just went through day of light/medium usage and I have 72% battery now at 9pm. Stunning.

Reactions: Sekelani and midkay

Skylitfly

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Yeah that's why I love the plus. I tried a normal size but the battery is nothing compared to it.
Yeah. The best part is that I thought iPhone 6 battery life was good. With iPhone 6 I ended up with around 35 to 40% of battery with similar usage and after day of heavy use I had to plug in almost immediately after I got back home.

Now I could easily go through 2 days without needing to charge. Fantastic.

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
Thanks for confirming that! It certainly matches up with the geekbench battery benchmarks I've seen showing the 6s plus to be the second best smartphone in terms of battery life.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I get through the day fine with my 6S+ but my 6+ from last year had better battery life.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I'm on my third 6S+ and the battery life is worse than my old 6+. The first two absolutely slayed it, by a good hour or two.
Yea. I still make it all day but with my 6+ I would make it with 40% plus remaining. Now I'm in the teens at the end. I'm not mad and I knew it would be less when rumors and announcements said the battery would be smaller. As long as I can go through the typical day I'm fine, I charge each night no matter battery level and always have.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Yea. I still make it all day but with my 6+ I would make it with 40% plus remaining. Now I'm in the teens at the end. I'm not mad and I knew it would be less when rumors and announcements said the battery would be smaller. As long as I can go through the typical day I'm fine, I charge each night no matter battery level and always have.

My point is that the smaller battery doesn't affect longevity with certain 6S+ phones. I had two that lasted much longer than my old 6+ and yet my current 6S+ returns 2.5 hours less usage time.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
some days i get through two working days.

today i still have 38% left and i'm pretty happy with it. Sometimes depends on my usage. I did use more 4G at lunchtime which might be why it's less but it will last me all day which is all that matters.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
My point is that the smaller battery doesn't affect longevity with certain 6S+ phones. I had two that lasted much longer than my old 6+ and yet my current 6S+ returns 2.5 hours less usage time.
I follow. I see many people swap just for the TSMC processor hoping to get more battery life but I'm going to pass. Everything else is correct for me so I would not want to take a chance on another part of my phone and I get attached. Ha. I do follow what you're saying though.

iphonedude2008

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2009
Irvine, CA
I follow. I see many people swap just for the TSMC processor hoping to get more battery life but I'm going to pass. Everything else is correct for me so I would not want to take a chance on another part of my phone and I get attached. Ha. I do follow what you're saying though.

I'm swapping for the larger 6S+, so hopefully I get a TSMC. I wouldn't have done it if not for that.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

I get worse battery life on my 6s Plus than my 6 Plus with the same usage patterns exactly. And my 6s Plus is a TSMC.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I get worse battery life on my 6s Plus than my 6 Plus with the same usage patterns exactly. And my 6s Plus is a TSMC.
You should in theory have the best option. In reality the testing showed both processors pretty close in day-to-day use. I think we're just feeling the difference in battery size. Imagine going from a 6+ to a 6S like some have done this go around.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
You should in theory have the best option. In reality the testing showed both processors pretty close in day-to-day use. I think we're just feeling the difference in battery size. Imagine going from a 6+ to a 6S like some have done this go around.

My 6+ gave me 9-11 hours consistently, depending on my three usage patterns. My first two 6S+ gave me 11.5-12.5 with the same usage patterns. This current 6S+ gives me 8-10 hours.

Megalobyte

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2007
Florida
I have a tsmc 6s+ and the battery life is good but not what I had hoped for. I see people getting 12+ hours of use. I'm getting approx. 9.5 hours which is great but seems a bit low if the others are truly routinely getting 12-15 hours. I have all known battery drainers off. I really hoped this would be the first iPhone where I could literally use the phone as long and as hard as I wanted to and not run out by the end of the day, but that's not quite the case, close but not quite.

I did a geekbench test and got 7:48 and a score of 4683 which seems to be at least average.

Can some of you post your scores to compare to? I realize it's a theoretical test but I only resorted to it because I'm getting a bit less battery time than I expected. Thx.

Ps. I admit I was probably using the phone a bit more aggressively than I likely will once I've had it a while. Only got it 4 days ago.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
My 6+ gave me 9-11 hours consistently, depending on my three usage patterns. My first two 6S+ gave me 11.5-12.5 with the same usage patterns. This current 6S+ gives me 8-10 hours.
I know you're too sensible to play the chip lottery. But it does sound like you got a low performing chip...admittedly the kind that fuels the chipgate controversy. I wouldn't fault you for returning this one, too. After what you (and I) went through with our dodgy 6 Pluses I hope you get a good year with your 6S Plus. I'm sorry you've had some bad luck with some that slipped up in QC. How is your latest 6S Plus overall?

I didn't get very good battery life with my 6 Plus. Not compared to my husband's ostensibly identical model. I think I've got a good 6S Plus but with Facebook draining it, who can tell. I can get through the day and sometimes two, so I'm content.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I know you're too sensible to play the chip lottery. But it does sound like you got a low performing chip...admittedly the kind that fuels the chipgate controversy. I wouldn't fault you for returning this one, too. After what you (and I) went through with our dodgy 6 Pluses I hope you get a good year with your 6S Plus. I'm sorry you've had some bad luck with some that slipped up in QC. How is your latest 6S Plus overall?

I didn't get very good battery life with my 6 Plus. Not compared to my husband's ostensibly identical model. I think I've got a good 6S Plus but with Facebook draining it, who can tell. I can get through the day and sometimes two, so I'm content.

I wouldn't have swapped for the screen 'pressure point', yellow tints or 'chipgate' etc, but I have been unfortunate with genuine faults. The first one was superb all 'round (Samsung) but the home button only worked if you pressed the very bottom 1/3. It was dead everywhere else and for £700 I'm not having a dodgy button out of the box.
The second one (TSMC) was equally superb (slightly less battery life but less than an hour difference). Sadly it had a screen which dimmed and went smokey brown at random. Again, that's not a nice fault to have during one's 14 day returns period...:(

This third one (Samsung) stutters here & there, it's not as fast at loading webpages...and the clincher is the battery life. Truly dreadful! It's way worse than my old 6+ and both my previous 6S+ phones. I'm sick of returning and feel like a prat for doing so but these are real faults. Nothing OCD about it.:oops:

iphonedude2008

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2009
Irvine, CA
I wouldn't have swapped for the screen 'pressure point', yellow tints or 'chipgate' etc, but I have been unfortunate with genuine faults. The first one was superb all 'round (Samsung) but the home button only worked if you pressed the very bottom 1/3. It was dead everywhere else and for £700 I'm not having a dodgy button out of the box.
The second one (TSMC) was equally superb (slightly less battery life but less than an hour difference). Sadly it had a screen which dimmed and went smokey brown at random. Again, that's not a nice fault to have during one's 14 day returns period...:(

This third one (Samsung) stutters here & there, it's not as fast at loading webpages...and the clincher is the battery life. Truly dreadful! It's way worse than my old 6+ and both my previous 6S+ phones. I'm sick of returning and feel like a prat for doing so but these are real faults. Nothing OCD about it.:oops:

Wow you really haven't had good luck. My 6+ experience was sort of similar. First one had a dead pixel. Next one bend (yes, bendgate was real), and finally my 3rd worked fine. It must be hard to maintain quality control with such a big supply chain.

Bhs1975

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2012
I'm on my 4th 6s+ and it seems to have the best battery life so far and its a sammy. The first was a sammy and the others where tmsc.

Reactions: mirz2000

Chicki

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
I ended up with TSMC today after returning two samsungs. The first one had just ridiculous battery, it was awesome, but it unfortunately had speaker issues that made it almost impossible to talk, the second one had messed up backlighting, half the screen was dark, but ridiculous battery life again.

Now I have this TSMC. Screen and buttons are great, I'm hoping that the battery is on par with the others, or better. I haven't noticed a difference yet, but I've only had it for like 6 hours lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.