iPhone 6s camera

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by billlewe23, Jan 28, 2016.

1. billlewe23 macrumors newbie

Hello. Last time I checked, the iPhone 6s had a worse camera than the 6. Have the iOS updates improved the camera yet?

2. ayyak macrumors newbie

I have to agree but not sure if it was fixed in the new os.

3. solo118 macrumors 65816

I think the camera is pretty good, I do not have many complaints.

My only only beef is that when I zoom in on a photo it is very grainy while the 6 and 5s were still crisp when zooming in on a photo.

4. dmnc macrumors 6502

dmnc

That's because they knew that packing more MPx in a little sensor would contribute to a more noisy image, and they did it anyway for the sake of deliver more megapixels for marketing reasons.

EDIT: I don't think any software update could change that.

5. Vicrooloo macrumors regular

The iPhone 6 does not have a better camera than the 6S. Its the other way around, the 6S has the better camera.

More megapixels isn't a bad thing.

6. dmnc macrumors 6502

dmnc

And not necessarily a good thing.

7. MrJM macrumors 6502

MrJM

I think my 6 produced better photos than my 6S generally!

8. savagewatts macrumors regular

My 6s Plus has a much better camera than my 6 Plus. That being said, taking live pictures in the dark produces an inferior picture to the 6 Plus. In a dark setting I turn off live photos and it fixes the problem.

9. Vicrooloo macrumors regular

Actually it is because more megapixels means more data for photo editing and manipulation

10. dmnc macrumors 6502

dmnc

Actually no, because it also means more noise in the image in all lighting conditions.

11. MrJM macrumors 6502

MrJM

Might have to try this!

12. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Actually it can be, because those pixels are packed into tighter into a tiny sensor, there's less light for each pixel to capture making noisy images.

14. Vicrooloo macrumors regular

Absolutely true. So we should go back to 4 MP cameras then right? No. As always, its a balance of things.
    Its unfair to just say that Apple is screwing with us by putting in a 12 mp camera instead of staying at 8. Not that anyone was saying anything as extreme. But there are pros and cons to each and you have to look at the pros as well as the cons.

Bottom line. Do a quick search of reviews and tests and you'll find that the 6S camera is more preferred than the 6. The most important verdict is the picture quality / image quality and you'll read that the consensus is that they are both iPhones are identical with the 6S having the edge. Going beyond that, the 6S comes with 4K video recording and a larger MP photo means its better to edit.

To say that the 6 camera is better than the 6S is simply not true or not supported by evidence. Unless I'm missing something then please share.

15. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

The iPhone 6 is universally thought to have a better camera for photos than the 6s. I had a 6s and the quality was mediocre at best.
    More megapixels mean more data, at the expense of smaller pixels if the sensor remains the same size. Smaller pixels = less light, meaning in anything other than bright sunny days it has to crank up the ISO to compensate. Higher ISO = noisier images and less detail.

12MP is a good spot for smartphone cameras, but the problem is the iPhone 6s camera sensor is much smaller than the competition like the Note 5/S6, G4/V10, or even Nexus 6P/5X camera sensors.

16. dmnc macrumors 6502

dmnc

I haven't said that Apple tried to screw us with the camera, neither that we should move back to 4MPx cameras.
    In fact even the iPhone 6 has some degree of image correction that makes the image blurry in my opinion.
    If you want to have more MPx you have to put in a bigger sensor. Phil Schiller explained how they built the sensor to avoid noise, but it's inevitable.

17. Vicrooloo macrumors regular

Gentlemen. I am very well aware of the relationship between sensor size and megapixels and image/picture quality. Specifically regarding low light and noise/grain. Please understand this if you aren't going to understand ANYTHING else I say.

Look at the tests and reviews and comparisons. Look at the data. Look at the stats and specifications.

Its all over that the 6S is a better camera than the 6. Regarding quality, they are identical. If not identical, the 6S has the edge. Regarding other functions, the 6S definitely has a better camera ie 4K video recording

Please do not respond to me again about what happens when you increase the megapixel count on a camera and keep the sensor size the same.

18. dmnc macrumors 6502

dmnc

I was under the impression that this thread was about discussing iPhone 6s camera, when did you become the maximum authority on the subject?
    If you feel like it, post the links to the reviews you're talking about, otherwise I won't take your word for the truth, random internet stranger.

19. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

Your past posts say otherwise

20. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

The only time I found myself wishing for a larger pixel count was when I needed to crop a picture. I learned to properly frame my pictures when using lower pixel count cameras to minimize the frustration with those pictures.

21. billlewe23 thread starter macrumors newbie

So what I'm getting at is once again mixed results. Some people claiming better pictures and some people claiming worse. Are there any credible photographers here?

22. dmnc macrumors 6502

dmnc

From a technical perspective it has its good and bad things. As a whole, 6s camera is probably better than previous ones.
    You have to use it to see for yourself if it suits your needs and your preferences. Even though it's a very good camera it's still a smartphone camera.

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

In great conditions, the higher pixel count will definity help the image quality, but in many other cases it will have a negative impact.

There's a reason why the DSLRS and other high end cameras have large sensors - not just to pack in the pixel count but provide a large surface area to capture more light. People get hung up on how many megapixels without understanding that there are other ways to improve image quality, including OIS (the plus has this), larger apertures (more light getting through), larger sensors.

24. billlewe23 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm still confused, just not very technical on this matter. So, increasing the censor doesn't increase the pixel count like increasing the megapixel? How is more pixels a bad thing when it allows more places for light to hit?

25. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member