Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following our look at a partially functioning "iPhone 6s" built from parts earlier this week, we're now getting some more details on the iPhone 6s display assembly itself. While the part has been seen in a few leaks over the past several weeks, a source has now provided us with some new information and high-quality photos of the part.

iphone_6_6s_displays_rear.jpg
Display assemblies from iPhone 6 (left) and iPhone 6s (right)

Numerous rumors have pointed toward the iPhone 6s including support for Force Touch, which will allow the device to sense how hard the user is pressing on the screen and present different interface options or functionality based on the amount of pressure. We've yet to see confirmation that such functionality is present in these display assemblies that have been circulating, but there are some tantalizing differences from the corresponding iPhone 6 part.

iphone_6s_display_top_rear.jpg
Top portion of iPhone 6s display assembly with unknown chip

The first is a small rectangular chip visible on the rear of the display. It has been seen in all leaked parts seen so far, and its function remains unconfirmed, but our source suspects it is indeed related to Force Touch. The chip is visible due to a cutout in the metal shielding behind the display.

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: 'iPhone 6s' Display Panel With Mystery Chip Is Slightly Heavier and Thicker Than iPhone 6 Version

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Its announced in almost 10 days, who's interested in this nonsense?

How about report some actual Mac news and rumours - you know like the news I sent you that the Mac Pros have silently been updated to use the 2000Mb/s read/write flash drives found in the latest Macbook Air's and Pros.

Or the fact that the 2015 Macbook Air refresh has just been silently updated to use 4k sector sized drives like the 12" Retina Macbook. This wasn't the case when they were first released earlier in the year, and now any recent 13" or 11" Macbook Airs require at least Yosemite 10.10.5 to boot.

Not a sign of any of that though cos we're all so interested in finding out which way an iPhone connector cable might bend apparently.

(Oh sorry, apparently people do care about a rumour about Force Touch that everyone already knows the phone is getting anyway rather than any actual unknown news about Macs, my bad - I guess a site called MacRumors that posted news on actual Mac's probably wouldn't get many hits)

Last edited:

street.cory

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
Force touch here we come!

I dismissed force touch until I got an Apple Watch.. Now I'll sometimes press down slightly harder on my iPhone screen expecting a secondary menu.

Hopefully this will also open up more support for people who like to use a stylus.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
I think we can put the "force touch" rumor to rest now. It's pretty much confirmed now with all these leaks. 9/9 couldn't get here sooner.

Reactions: chrisbru

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2011
Why don't you guys compare the iPhone 6s display to the Apple Watch display to see if there are any clues about the Force Touch feature.

Reactions: scapegoat81

trife

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2012

How about report some actual Mac news and rumours - you know like the news I sent you that the Mac Pros have silently been updated to use the 2000Mb/s read/write flash drives found in the latest Macbook Air's and Pros.

Or the fact that the 2015 Macbook Air refresh has just been silently updated to use 4k sector sized drives like the 12" Retina Macbook. This wasn't the case when they were first released earlier in the year, and now any recent 13" or 11" Macbook Airs require at least Yosemite 10.10.5 to boot.

Not a sign of any of that though cos we're all so interested in finding out which way an iPhone connector cable might bend apparently.

(Oh sorry, apparently people do care about a rumour about Force Touch that everyone already knows the phone is getting anyway rather than any actual unknown news about Macs, my bad - I guess a site called MacRumors that posted news on actual Mac's probably wouldn't get many hits)

U mad, bro?

MaxGravy

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2011
Texas!

I'm also interested in mac rumours. I was planning to drive to town today and pick up a new imac 27 but any configuration, except the base models, won't be available until September 9th. I wonder why.

Reactions: dannys1

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Extremely disappointed -if that's the case- whatever improvements we would be getting by going to 14nm/A9 will be cancelled out by a lower capacity battery :mad:

Well in all fairness, iPhone battery life has been increasing over the past few years with iPhone 6 and 6 Plus having the best battery life to date.

I do agree that Apple appears to be more interested in maintaining the status quo (more efficient parts = smaller battery = same battery life). However, Apple has to balance weight, size, energy use, and battery size. The will find a balance that they believe most consumers will like. I won't lie, I'd like an iPhone X model that focuses on battery life.

Also: I don't care about the physical battery size as long as battery life increases or at least stays the same. If Apple can get 15 hours of use with a 1000 mAh battery, then I wouldn't care if they could have put in a 2000 mAh battery. The issues is with things like the iPad Air 2. Officially, it still gets 10 hours, but most third party reviewers were able to squeeze out 13 hours on the iPad Air. The Air 2 reduced that to 11 hours (iPad 3 range!).

Mitsjke

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2015
So... Thicker phone, smaller battery and still a protruding camera?
This all for a gimmick like force touch?

Kadang

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2015
Denmark
Must also be why they added a power saving mode in iOS 9.

It has to be more than this - change in chips or something - They would get killed in the press if the batteries are not up to par or better performing than previously!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.