iPhone 6s does not work with Mac OS X Snow Leopard!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by B4U, Sep 25, 2015.

1. B4U macrumors 65816

B4U

Just got the new phone, connect to the iMac to get it restored...
    First pop-up it says it needs newer version of iTunes...
    The new iTunes is NOT for Snow Leopard...

Should have asked them beforehand...
    So, fellows running Snow Leopard and thinking about the 6s...you have been warned...

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Someone posted about this recently. I'm sorry about that! And yes Apple should be more explicit about making this known. 1st gen Core 2 Duo users will not be able to upgrade from Snow Leopard. Btw I used to like the Big N' Tasty

3. B4U thread starter macrumors 65816

B4U

The worst part is, the latest iTunes work with an equally old Windows 7 OS, but not the Mac OS X Snow Leopard is just inexcusable when considering the OS is from Apple!!

4. chrfr macrumors 603

It's clearly stated in the "System requirements" section of this page: http://www.apple.com/iphone-6s/specs/

10.8.5 or later and iTunes 12.3 is required.

5. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

Do not update your phone with iTunes. Update in the Settings app. Then you can use your phone with older versions of iTunes and iOS 9.

6. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Weren't people also having this problem with iOS 9? Updating over the air and then not being able to sync on their Mac

7. perkedel macrumors 6502a

perkedel

what any other explicit ways to make it known when it's listed in the system requirements? I'm lost here.

8. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

Yes. When you're running a 6-year-old operating system, it is no longer reasonable to simply assume everything will continue to work with it forever. It's on the user to verify software and hardware compatibility proactively.

9. B4U thread starter macrumors 65816

B4U

eh, it works with a 6 year old Windows though, so what the heck is with Apple now?

The darn phone won't boot out of the start up loop...

10. B4U thread starter macrumors 65816

B4U

11. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I don't use iTunes to get my iPhone running since iCloud finally works, since the iPhone 4.
    Only connect to the Mac to get videos and photos out of the iPhone to the Mac.
    I haven't loaded videos to the iPhone since then though, all are streamed. Music also from iTunes Match.

12. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Why'd the abandon snow leopard? I can update iTunes on much older versions of Windows without issue...

13. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Snow leopard is out of support.

This is not news.

New iOS 9 features actually require El Capitan if you want to enable them (Sync with new notes for example).

14. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Because no software vendor wants to keep pushing out bug-fixes and porting new software to old platforms. New software often uses new APIs that are not part of the old OS.

15. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Here it is. Windows has won this competition.

Windows 7 does can run the latest iTunes, while Apple own Mac OS X cannot.

Not a Windows fanboy.

16. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

New software can also be developed on old system using old APIs. This is generally a choice from developer.

17. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Yeah. For new iPhone 6s and plus, they will be locked out at startup loop...

Locked out at startup loop? I remember setting up a new phone as new, or recover from iCloud backup doesn't require your phone to be connected to computer. Of course, if backup is stored locally, then users may need to set up a new as a new device.

18. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

For those iPhone 6s users, they have literally no choice.

19. canadianpj macrumors 6502

Unless your running hardware which cannot run anything higher than Snow Leopard I cannot understand why a simple update to a modern version is not the easiest solution.

20. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Because they want your money every 6-12 months you will be required to upgrade therefore all their executives get a big fat bonus as the new Apple customers are steered towards paying for training sessions at the Apple stores to teach them how to continue buying more and more. As they figure out that bundling hardware devices into glued electronic hardware that can be crippled via software updates and upgrades the new Apple converts are always eager to replace the hardware, and the faster there is something 'newer' slimmer and rose gold they seem to be more open toward the idea of removing functionality from one device to buy another one that makes you even more dependent. So expect to have the clock removed from the iPhone as well as the Mac to force you into buying an Apple Watch S plus in order to know what time is it, an iPad paper slim to be able to read PDF docs, a beats music mini pill in-ear-implant to listen to any sound from all your Apple devices, phone calls and it recharges while you sleep therefore you are forced to take a nap in the middle of the day because it's eco friendly (you have to stop polluting the environment)...

21. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Didn't say it couldn't but generally the "development of new APIs" is done as part of an OS revision. And yes it is a choice, trying to maintain 4-5 versions of OS X just takes resources away from getting other stuff done.

22. canadianpj macrumors 6502

Paranoid much?

Hopefully this is all sarcasm and you don't actually believe any of it.

23. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

As much as I wanted to, if I tell you the truth is because I'm lying to you...

24. AleXXXa macrumors 6502

AleXXXa

Planned Obsolescence. Apple wants you to upgrade to a newer OS. And, in some cases, to do that you need a newer Mac. More $$ for them.

25. nickchallis92 macrumors 6502a

nickchallis92

This is one area where Windows has always been brilliant. It's backwards compatibility is incredible and should be applauded.