Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

B4U

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
I have to say, if you're that unhappy, why are you still using Apple products? That's the big question here.
Let's see, where shall I start...
Desktop: Windows XP went to Vista was a big turn off, and then I saw the Mac OS X Leopard where everything just works and looks beautiful. Switched over and got Snow Leopard on the day it came out and everything worked better until now.
Mobile: Used to use Symbian and then tried Android which was a big upgrade. Tried iOS 5 once and it is much easier to use than Android and stayed here ever since (still have an Android phone at the same time). Got iOS 6 on first day and had no issues with Maps because my car has built in Nav. Everything worked like a charm until Apple start breaking stuffs with iOS 7.
Meanwhile, Windows 8 is a mess so switching back is a no go...
On the other hand, the other smartphones are worse...
So there is really not much options now.

gordon1234

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Hardware guy: Ive. Making UI user unfriendly since day one because of some obsession. Here is an example, the End call button on iOS 7.1 changed from a easily accessible large rectangle with clear wording "End" to a tiny little circle with just the symbol of the handset. Is it making the function any easier to use? It was simply reducing the area on the screen where user can use to end a phone call.

Counter-point: Smaller end call button is harder to hit accidentally, while still being large enough to hit easily enough when desired. For instance, my father had been complaining for years that he was accidentally hitting this button and ending calls – he asked me if there was a way to disable it entirely. He likes the small one much better.

Now, you might well argue the opposite - that accidentally ending calls isn't a problem that most people have, and that the smaller touch target makes the button difficult to press. That's a reasonable difference of opinion. My point is that there is no universal UI design that is going to satisfy everyone. You clearly think the old way was better, but many people, myself included, prefer the new one.

B4U

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
Counter-point: Smaller end call button is harder to hit accidentally, while still being large enough to hit easily enough when desired. For instance, my father had been complaining for years that he was accidentally hitting this button and ending calls – he asked me if there was a way to disable it entirely. He likes the small one much better.

Now, you might well argue the opposite - that accidentally ending calls isn't a problem that most people have, and that the smaller touch target makes the button difficult to press. That's a reasonable difference of opinion. My point is that there is no universal UI design that is going to satisfy everyone. Me, I like the new button. I never had problems with the old one, but I don't have problems with the new one either, and I think it looks nicer.
The screen is blacked out during a phone call unless you are using speakerphone, so I can never see how someone can end a call "accidentally".
The very same button change was done on the call button as well. If the end call button was made smaller to avoid "accidentally" ending a call, please enlighten me on what would be the rationale for making the call button smaller other than form over function?

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
My iMac is more than capable of running just about anything (Late 2009 27" model with 32GB RAM upgrade), yet it was running way faster in Snow Leopard than it is now with 10.10. I have yet to find out the reason why.
For Steve Jobs' sake, Yosemite is not and never was a stable system to begin with. Mavericks is much better, El Capitan is much better. Also, I have a similar model iMac (Late 2009 21.5", but with 12GB of memory), and I can confirm that the latest OSes still work very well, even Yosemite, which had problems, still worked quite decently.
Hardware guy: Ive. Making UI user unfriendly since day one because of some obsession. Here is an example, the End call button on iOS 7.1 changed from a easily accessible large rectangle with clear wording "End" to a tiny little circle with just the symbol of the handset. Is it making the function any easier to use? It was simply reducing the area on the screen where user can use to end a phone call.
a) Jony Ive is a general designer, not a hardware designer. He designed iOS since day one. b) Now you're just plain nitpicking. Who gives a **** whether the button is slightly bigger or smaller? Yes, the button is harder to hit, but it's harder to hit accidentally when trying to do something else with the call.

B4U

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
For Steve Jobs' sake, Yosemite is not and never was a stable system to begin with. Mavericks is much better, El Capitan is much better. Also, I have a similar model iMac (Late 2009 21.5", but with 12GB of memory), and I can confirm that the latest OSes still work very well, even Yosemite, which had problems, still worked quite decently.

a) Jony Ive is a general designer, not a hardware designer. He designed iOS since day one. b) Now you're just plain nitpicking. Who gives a **** whether the button is slightly bigger or smaller? Yes, the button is harder to hit, but it's harder to hit accidentally when trying to do something else with the call.
Screwed me once with 10.10 from Snow Leopard, and how am I supposed to believe El Capitan would work better...(For one, I am looking at the Outlook sync issue that sounds like it had been fixed...)
Every thing opened much slower in 10.10 than Snow Leopard, and there are simply no way to turn off those motion sickness inducing garbage animation.

And I do happen to give a **** whether the button is slightly bigger or smaller because it simply is making the function less easy to perform.
In regards to "accidentally" ending the call, please see my reply right above yours...

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
Screwed me once with 10.10 from Snow Leopard, and how am I supposed to believe El Capitan would work better...
Every thing opened much slower in 10.10 than Snow Leopard, and there are simply no way to turn off those motion sickness inducing garbage animation.
You try it, duh. :rolleyes: Also, El Cap does decrease the "garbage animations" a lot.
And I do happen to give a **** whether the button is slightly bigger or smaller because it simply is making the function less easy to perform.
In regards to "accidentally" ending the call, please see my reply right above yours...
That's not the problem, the problem is that you are nitpicking about something so tiny. Out of so many problems with the newer versions, the one you choose as an excuse is the stupidest? Really? Also, I read the post. I specifically mentioned that when you REMOVE the phone from your ear to do something like number dial, you have less risks of accidentally shaking and pressing the giant call end button.

B4U

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
You try it, duh. :rolleyes: Also, El Cap does decrease the "garbage animations" a lot.

That's not the problem, the problem is that you are nitpicking about something so tiny. Out of so many problems with the newer versions, the one you choose as an excuse is the stupidest? Really? Also, I read the post. I specifically mentioned that when you REMOVE the phone from your ear to do something like number dial, you have less risks of accidentally shaking and pressing the giant call end button.
Try it? There is no turning back! If I can turn back to Snow Leopard easily, I would have done it already...
And what about the 4 finger up-swipe to show the desktop? With an permanently injured thumb, and without any options to change the settings, it is a pain to use.
About the end call button, I guess I could give you that. But what about on the call button?

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
Try it? There is no turning back! If I can turn back to Snow Leopard easily, I would have done it already...
And what about the 4 finger up-swipe to show the desktop? With an permanently injured thumb, and without any options to change the settings, it is a pain to use.
About the end call button, I guess I could give you that. But what about on the call button?
Make a Time Machine backup, and restore from it if you want to downgrade, duh. :rolleyes:

I don't know what you're talking about.

You mean when you receive the call? So that when you take your phone out of your pocket, you don't accidently chose the wrong option without even knowing who was calling you.

gordon1234

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
The screen is blacked out during a phone call unless you are using speakerphone, so I can never see how someone can end a call "accidentally".
The very same button change was done on the call button as well. If the end call button was made smaller to avoid "accidentally" ending a call, please enlighten me on what would be the rationale for making the call button smaller other than form over function?

Well, you identified one case yourself already. If you're using speakerphone, the screen is on. Usually if I'm using speakerphone it's specifically because I need to interact with the phone. Also, any time you need to navigate an automated phone system and have to press buttons. Even if I just need to access some information in an app, it means I'm interacting with the phone. I can say that over the years, I've managed to accidentally hang up a number of calls by pressing the big red button. It's not what I'd call a frequent occurrence—neither is making a phone call at all these days–but it happens once in a blue moon, and it's never happened since they made the button smaller. As for the call button: Consistency? It'd be a little weird if they didn't share a common appearance.

You need to understand that this is not an argument you can "win." Making this button smaller made the phone easier for me to use, and easier for people I know to use as well. I 100% accept that for your needs and the way you use the phone, it made things harder, and that's unfortunate. You need to accept that there is not one objective, universal "correct" way to design this button.

B4U

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
Make a Time Machine backup, and restore from it if you want to downgrade, duh. :rolleyes:

I don't know what you're talking about.

You mean when you receive the call? So that when you take your phone out of your pocket, you don't accidently chose the wrong option without even knowing who was calling you.
Been there and tried it, it would not go back to SL...
And even if it would have worked, it had been over 2 weeks and a lot of changes were made where it would be also a pain to do that...
The button:
phone1.png

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
Been there and tried it, it would not go back to SL...
The button:
phone1.png
I don't know what you mean by it doesn't work... explain please.

It's design, seriously. The big square box looks freaking ugly with these round buttons. Round looks much better IMO. Seriously, why are you worried by how A DAMN BUTTON looks?

B4U

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
I don't know what you mean by it doesn't work... explain please.

It's design, seriously. The big square box looks freaking ugly with these round buttons. Round looks much better IMO. Seriously, why are you worried by how A DAMN BUTTON looks?
It would NOT roll back to snow leopard.

I can press almost the whole width of the screen to make the call instead of that tiny circle on such specific area on the screen.

Last edited:

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
It would NOT roll back to snow leopard.

I can press almost the whole width of the screen to make the call instead of that tiny circle on such specific area on the screen.
Okay, now you're just unsupportable. "It would not roll back" tells me NOTHING!!! WHAT error are you receiving? WHAT process are you doing exactly? HOW are you doing it? TELL ME SOMETHING GOD DAMMIT!

Also, STOP BEING SUCH A NITPICKER!!! Is a ****ing button that big of a deal for you? What the hell is wrong with you? Stop it!

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
This thread has become rather derailed!

Anyway, I'll chip in and say that I absolutely love El Capitan. Super-quick, super-stable, it's everything Yosemite wanted to be. El Capitan is to Yosemite what Snow Leopard was to Leopard.

I'll also go ahead and say that I absolutely cannot stand the old Leopard-to-Mavericks UI style. Dreary grey windows, overly-glossy buttons, pseudo-3D everything... It looked fine back in 2007, but that UI style has aged really poorly.

Oh, and I love the new system font in El Capitan, San Francisco. Even on my non-Retina display, it looks gorgeous.

Snow Leopard is ancient. It's time to move on, whether its for hardware/software compatibility, outdated security or its lack of support from Apple.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Let's see, where shall I start...
Desktop: Windows XP went to Vista was a big turn off, and then I saw the Mac OS X Leopard where everything just works and looks beautiful. Switched over and got Snow Leopard on the day it came out and everything worked better until now.
Mobile: Used to use Symbian and then tried Android which was a big upgrade. Tried iOS 5 once and it is much easier to use than Android and stayed here ever since (still have an Android phone at the same time). Got iOS 6 on first day and had no issues with Maps because my car has built in Nav. Everything worked like a charm until Apple start breaking stuffs with iOS 7.
Meanwhile, Windows 8 is a mess so switching back is a no go...
On the other hand, the other smartphones are worse...
So there is really not much options now.

Seems you will complain no matter what.

At this point, this thread is nothing more than you venting your dislike for whatever you deem appropriate. Tis a lost cause at this point because no matter what's said, you wont be happy and you will find SOMETHING to complain about.

B4U

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
Okay, now you're just unsupportable. "It would not roll back" tells me NOTHING!!! WHAT error are you receiving? WHAT process are you doing exactly? HOW are you doing it? TELL ME SOMETHING GOD DAMMIT!

Also, STOP BEING SUCH A NITPICKER!!! Is a ****ing button that big of a deal for you? What the hell is wrong with you? Stop it!
Entered Time Machine, the button to restore is grayed out.

B4U

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
Seems you will complain no matter what.

At this point, this thread is nothing more than you venting your dislike for whatever you deem appropriate. Tis a lost cause at this point because no matter what's said, you wont be happy and you will find SOMETHING to complain about.
Every one are entitled to their opinion. Some of you like the new OS, and some of us don't.
I started the thread just to point out the mere fact that Snow Leopard users cannot use iPhone 6s with iTunes if they are stuck with the iOS 9.0 bug. But some fellows just like to come in to tell us who like the way of how we used our product is "wrong"...

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Every one are entitled to their opinion. Some of you like the new OS, and some of us don't.
I started the thread just to point out the mere fact that Snow Leopard users cannot use iPhone 6s with iTunes if they are stuck with the iOS 9.0 bug. But some fellows just like to come in to tell us who like the way of how we used our product is "wrong"...

Like I said, you had your answer 2 pages back - heck, you had your answer before you bought your phone but like this thread, you ignored it and continued to argue about something else entirely.

This thread is proof that people exist that can never be pleased no matter what is done. :)

Good luck to you sir.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Come on dude. Snow Leopard is 6-year old. Five major updates have been released since. Programs started reducing compatibility with SL for a year now. And Apple has been discontinuing more and more services with SL, iTunes was discontinued for SL one year ago and recently for Lion as well. Update to a more modern OS (I personally don't really like Yosemite, so Mavericks is still very good in your case), and if you're running a computer from 2006, don't you think it's time for a new one?

Further to that, Snow Leopard has not been receiving security updates for several years now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.