Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is planning on releasing three new iPhone models in the second half of 2015, according to a new report from DigiTimes. The site claims that a 4-inch iPhone model will join the 4.7-inch iPhone 6s and 5.5-inch iPhone 6s Plus.

iphone_screen_sizes.jpg
Apple will release three different iPhones in the second half of 2015, the iPhone 6S, iPhone 6S Plus and a 4-inch device currently being referred to as iPhone 6C, according to industry sources.
A new 4-inch iPhone was also rumored in December 2014, with a report claiming that the device would be aimed toward female users. However, even if a new 4-inch iPhone isn't introduced, Apple will presumably have the iPhone 5s to offer for free on a two-year contract once the current models slide down.

DigiTimes notes the 4-inch iPhone 6c is likely to be manufactured by Wistron while both the 6s and 6s Plus will be manufactured by Foxconn. In January, a report from Chinese site Feng.com claimed that Apple had not made any orders in its supply chain for a 4-inch iPhone.

Earlier this year, CEO Tim Cook said the new, larger iPhone models had brought the highest Android switcher rate over the past three years and that they brought in more newer customers than previous iPhone models. It's possible that Apple believes offering more sizing choices to customers could allow Apple to reach more customers, as Cook also mentioned different regions preferred different sizes.

Apple is expected to announce new iPhone models in September, with new additions to both the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus rumored to include 2GB of RAM and Apple's new Force Touch technology, which has already made its way into Apple Watch, the new MacBook and new 13-inch MacBook Pros.

Article Link: iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus and 4-Inch iPhone 6c Rumored for 2015 Release

eskemo

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2015
I enjoyed when Apple had one screen size. Apple argued that was much better than competitors with dozens of different sizes and resolutions.

App developers, does 3 screen sizes make things much more complicated? Anyway, in my opinion 4.7" iPhone is the right sized iPhone. Hard to imagine using a 4" screen anymore.

BigBuns

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2014
North America, eh
But when is the iPhone 7 coming out?! :rolleyes:

Good to see them acknowledging that people have preferences to phone sizes.
Options are a good thing; I'm sure most don't like to be spoon fed.

ctross

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2010
I just pray they keep good specs in the 4 inch display!

I have large hands, I can palm a basketball easily, and I think the iPhone 6 display is simply to big.

When Steve Jobs said the 4 inch display was the perfect size because your thumb could easily manage the corner of the device, he couldn't have been more correct.

ctross

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2010
I enjoyed when Apple had one screen size. Apple argued that was much better than competitors with dozens of different sizes and resolutions.

App developers, does 3 screen sizes make things much more complicated? Anyway, in my opinion 4.7" iPhone is the right sized iPhone. Hard to imagine using a 4" screen anymore.

I have to agree that one size is much better (Being a part time developer, myself)

I honestly hate my 6 though, its slips from my grip too easily with the rounded edges, I can't reach the corner of the device one handed with very large hands, and I'll even say (though no one will agree) the display doesn't look as nice as the 5S. They claim the same PPI, but i never noticed pixels on my 5S the way i do on the 6

Gooberton

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
I just pray they keep good specs in the 4 inch display!

I have large hands, I can palm a basketball easily, and I think the iPhone 6 display is simply to big.

When Steve Jobs said the 4 inch display was the perfect size because your thumb could easily manage the corner of the device, he couldn't have been more correct.

Dunk right now or it didn't happen

DanGoh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2014
I still have my old iPhone 5 with a broken screen. Compared to my 6, it does feel like a toy and I cant imagine going back.

ricci

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2012
NYC
2015 could be a very expensive year! Upgrade my 5s to the 6s plus! Skylake MacPro???? And SKYLAKE 15 MacPro laptop!? # at least I have another year to save for apple watch 2!!

ctross

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2010
Jobs said the 3.5 inch display was the ideal one. The 4 inch came after he died.
Wow, you're correct..seems like he hasn't been gone that long yet. Man time flies. Regardless, the 4 inch form factor seemed absolutely perfect and i'll be sad to see it go or have it left behind in hardware to larger devices.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
Please yes on the smaller iPhone!!!

And don't gimp performance, just reduce features. :apple:

tresmith

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2014
My gut tells me that they will eventually bring back the 4 inch phone but I don't that it will be so soon with the 6S.

I think it's going to take at least one more product cycle to engineer a phone with 3 different screens that can also all hold the same internal specs.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the iPhone 7 & 7 plus are rumored for a 2016 release. Call me crazy......call me crazy. Time for some lessons In writing headlines perhaps?

psylence2k

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2012
My gut tells me that they will eventually bring back the 4 inch phone but I don't that it will be so soon with the 6S.

I think it's going to take at least one more product cycle to engineer a phone with 3 different screens that can also all hold the same internal specs.

The 4 inch as the article alludes will probably be the 6C

and if they're continuing the usual "C" model from the 5C then it wont be the same specs. The 4 incher (6C) will have the specs of the last generation phone like the 5C did.

So I think it's very possible they could easily make a 4 inch 6C this year that has last year's Iphone 6 specs. I mean honestly I feel like a 4 inch Iphone 6 could've been made last year and still fit the same specs aside from maybe the exact same battery life.

tresmith

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2014
Wow, you're correct..seems like he hasn't been gone that long yet. Man time flies. Regardless, the 4 inch form factor seemed absolutely perfect and i'll be sad to see it go or have it left behind in hardware to larger devices.

4 inches does seem perfect. also what was more important than the size increase from 3.5 to 4 was the 16:9 aspect ratio making watching hd video a lot better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.