iPhone 6S is Ho Hum... Meh!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by maxsix, Sep 10, 2015.

1. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

The good old days are over. There's wasn't a single conversation about Apples new iPhone 6S at work today. It's like the event didn't happen.

Outgoing, social and known as a vocal Apple iPhone Supporter at work, I get questions and requests for help everyday as I walk between the huge buildings on our campus.

In the last six years there's always been a buzz after Apples announcement. Today it was completely devoid of any buzz at all.

Eerie silence

Here's an article.
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/markets/2015/09/10/apple-reinventing-world-stock-aapl/72005518/

2. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Everyone has a smart phone now. Apple always upgrades in September. It's old news.

3. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

We get this every year. People get their hopes up thinking Apple is going to come out with some shocking invention to blow up everybody's skirts again.

The difference this year is I'm inclined to agree. This is the first keynote I've come away from saying "I'm keeping the phone I have.".

4. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Funny there was a big topic about the apple devices in our office

what were people seriously expecting in a S year? the improves are good from last years models...fact is you can't improve loads these days..just not possible.

5. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I dunno man. TouchID was a pretty nice improvement.

6. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

I actually think 3D touch has the potential to be just as nice of an improvement as touch ID. That and the live photos are what I am looking forward to going from my 6 Plus.

7. maxsix thread starter Suspended

maxsix

Apple will go to painstaking lengths to create any new feature they can give a catchy name to make themselves look like innovators.

Even when they can't stretch the truth and claim they invented it, their world class marketing department will give an existing technology a new misleading name so consumers are tricked into thinking its special.

Example: Airport caused many people to think Apple had a "special kind of wifi" when it was nothing special. But because Apple routinely sets people's expectations so high, they assume every move Apple makes to be world changing.

8. doboy macrumors 68000

Your thread is meh. Why don't you post in other similar threads rather than creating another thread?:rolleyes:

9. techspin macrumors 6502a

Maybe you've just lost your mojo and no one wants to talk to you! I'll agree there's slightly less buzz this year, especially since the design and colors haven't changed...except for that pink one.

10. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Yet here you are posting. I'll never understand why people don't just avoid threads with which they disagree/have no interest. And please save the "it clogs up the feed" excuse. Scrolling is effortless.

11. doboy macrumors 68000

It clogs up the feed!

12. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Come on man! I told you to save it! What are you going to use the next time this topic comes up??

13. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

3D Touch has huge potential. An example is for years people have wanted Apple to add recently used or "favourite" settings options into Control Centre. With 3D Touch and "Peak" they could add in the future those options on the Settings icon with a quick peak and select.

I would fully expect it to get refined and expanded on and becoming a really big feature. It's basically gen 1 and limited function now, it's the future of it that needs to be considered.

14. bueller1 macrumors 6502

Such a negative way of thinking. The phone has just gotten so good that small upgrades like a jump from 8MP to 12MP doesn't impress you. And I get it, 3D Touch isn't groundbreaking, but it breaths new life into something that hasn't been significantly changed in a long time. You're also not forced into upgrading, enjoy the fact that you can continuously update your old device with new software and be grateful for what you have and hopeful for what's to come. And quit draining the life out of something that is supposed to be enjoyable to discuss.

15. wchigo macrumors 6502

wchigo

And yet I spoke to more than a few of my colleagues yesterday at work about the event and the different offerings like the 6S, 6S Plus and the iPad Pro.

Nice to see you're taking your own personal experience and applying that on a global scale, but I suppose this is Macrumors after all.:p

16. mashinhead macrumors 68020

I have to agree, it just feels different this year. Less buzz in the air. Nothing special. A flat reaction. I can't really explain why though, its just intuitive. It just feels like the first time it's been like that and like something has changed.

17. Serickmetz macrumors 6502

Serickmetz

Screw your "buzz". The iPhone 6s is freaking amazing looking. Performance over design, so back yourself up buddy.

18. doboy macrumors 68000

Because a lot of people already upgraded to iPhone 6 and form factor hasn't changed with the S version. Also all the leaks prior to the event doesn't help.

19. doboy macrumors 68000

Same excuse over and over again until they get it through their thick skull.

20. nordique macrumors 6502a

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I bet there is always someone who feels "meh" about any given iPhone generation.

I felt "meh" with the 6 last year; paying so much for a phone that was a small processor bump over the 5s just didn't do it for me

For other people, that's how they feel about S models "meh looks the same"

21. campingsk8er macrumors 6502

It's because the keynote was on a Wednesday. Normally they are on a Tuesday.

22. Serickmetz macrumors 6502

Serickmetz

That's it. We forgot to shut the garage door, that's it.

23. unobtainium macrumors 68000

It has been the same for every single 'S' release. I remember the huge disappointment over the 4S. People were calling it the end of the iPhone's dominance, etc. 5S was another "boring" disappointment, except Touch ID got a bit of buzz that year.

This is par for the course basically.

24. unagimiyagi, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2015

unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

The issue is price and brand strength. Apple is high in both, so it makes total sense to me that people expect more. Apple loves it when people consider them premium luxury for the masses. Well if the 6s didn't bother to change the lens from a 2.2 aperture, and eliminating cross talk between pixels is actually what many other smartphone cameras already do, and the body did not change, then what on earth did you spend the entire year doing? And you're still going to charge way more than anyone else? To me 3D touch is nothing more than a short and a long right-click. That took multiple years to do?

People are saying the 6s isn't that great because it doesn't differentiate itself from the big boy Android players that much. Not in battery, processor, screen, camera quality, speed, ram, nothing. What remains are the look/feel of ios and familiarity of it. Apple's biggest remaining advantage are their development tools. Hands down 10x better than Android's dev tools. This is the primary reason why you see so many better apps for ios, even all these years later. Android's tools are just that slow, porky, and unwieldy. Google picked the wrong platform and language to base everything off of (java), and now they are too far down the road to go back. Swift is on the rise since it's modern and Java is on the decline. I actually do not see this changing AT ALL over the next 5-7 years, so I expect iOS to yield any hardware advantages but continue to do well b/c they'll have such a lead in quality apps.

So: buy the 6s for the software and ios, but not at all for the hardware.

25. doboy macrumors 68000

I completely disagree with this statement, but you are entitled to it.