iPhone 6S low demand?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Freida, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Freida macrumors 65816

Is it just my impression or is the iPhone 6S demand very low? I've noticed that in London lot of stores have the 6S in stock and when I was passing by on launch day the queues were super small. Oxford Streed for example had just few people in the queue compared to years before when the queue was all the way to that little park behind the Apple store.
    What is everyone's experience or view?

2. chabig macrumors 68040

It's just you. iPhone 6s sales will set records.

3. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

There seems to be less demand for the S models this year. I couldn't get a 6+ for love nor money last year, it was early December before I finally got it but this year I had a 6S+ in my hands the day after launch. It will be interesting to see the sales figures. Maybe it's like everyone says and the launch was just handled more professionally by Apple, what with the reservation and pre-ordering process.

4. DoofenshmirtzEI macrumors 6502a

DoofenshmirtzEI

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I'll have to see some numbers but it seems like the craze and lines are not even close to last year.

6. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

I guess the fact that China was a launch country really got them to ramp up production. Hopefully it will be like this every year going forward.

7. Beards macrumors 6502

Beards

If it's more supply it's certainly not feeding down to preorders .....and no I can't get to an Apple Store and pick one up.

8. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

It seems like demand is lower but it's because of the many new ways to preorder and finance your phone. The same thing happened at Apple stores. Why bother waiting in line when you can have it arrive at your home?

9. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

While Apple claimed that the launch week sale is record breaking this year, they also sell to more countries this time. These include China, which is now Apple's big (biggest?)!market. Hence, demand in US and North America could well be lower for 6S(+).

10. semicoln macrumors member

11. jpgr15 macrumors 6502a

I thought I read somewhere that the 6S+ has production issues related to the 3D Touch. Maybe that's why 6S+ stock is so low and the 6S appears so well stocked?

12. AppleWes macrumors 6502

AppleWes

Until Apple releases official numbers, no one knows.

You can't assume it's low demand just because the phone is in stock. I'm not being an Apple fanboy or apologetic, just stating facts. Also [not directed towards OP] it gets a bit annoying when the same people who claim low demand will be the first to complain about a model being out of stock.

There'll always be something to complain about if you look hard enough. Must be sad to live life that way.

13. Freida thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, to me its just my impression based on previous years. Oxford Street would have massive queue at 8am and so would Westfield etc. but last friday it was very very small so I don't think its because there is tons of supply. Although, maybe the preorder made difference.
    Also, if they had reservations only spread during the day then perhaps that also explains the short queues.
    But yeah, lets see what Apple will tell us but my impression is that iPhone 6 was in high demand as it was all new etc. but 6S is not as much (as often goes for S generation, maybe?)

14. tann macrumors 68000

I've been waking up at 6 to try and nab a 6S+ Rose Gold 128gb and believe me those are rare! The only stores that have had them so far are the northern stores (Scotland/Leeds etc)!

15. jcmendes macrumors member

16. chabig macrumors 68040

Thirteen million sold over the weekend. Low demand my ass! This thread is officially over.

17. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

The 6 (smaller version) always has more stock and always sell more, so it appears they are more readily available. IIRC, it was like 65% to 35% 6 vs 6+ last year.

They have a lot more stock this go around. Preorders lasted days for the regular 6 before times really slipped.

18. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

I'm not sure if the issue is low demand or Apple got its production process ramped up but I had little problem walking in and buying a iPhone 6s Plus on Saturday, no waiting or anything.
    There seems to plenty of regular 6s stock around here.

19. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

China wasn't included in last year's first weekend, so the demand in Europe/USA is probably the same or slightly lower.

20. tonyy macrumors 6502a

tonyy

Wanted to wait until actual hands on reviews from customers before I ordered.

Called in last night (9/26) for a 6S 64gb space gray. Received shipping this morning. I've always preordered at 2am since the 4s. I was expecting to wait 2-4 weeks but pleasantly surprised I'll be getting it in a couple days.

21. BravoFoxtrot76 macrumors newbie

My VZ store had quite a bit more stock of the 6S vs the 6S Plus. I walked in and waited about 3 minutes before getting my Space Gray 6S 128G. No reservations, no appointments, etc. They were sold out of the 6S+.

22. Europa13 macrumors 6502

Could be because more people pre-ordered online this year. I don't wait in lines unless it's the only option. I waited in line for the 3G and 5s, since neither one of them had pre-orders for launch day. I think a lot of people feel this way.

23. DoofenshmirtzEI macrumors 6502a

DoofenshmirtzEI

Not surprising, given the much lower incentive to scalp for the Chinese market now.

Do they count preorders not yet delivered in that? If not, then basically supply = phones sold on that first weekend. Previously, what they made matched exactly what they sold, because they were supply constrained. They don't seem to be supply constrained on most variants of the 6s anymore, they remained available to deliver on launch day right up until the last minute.

I'd be more inclined to make judgments about demand when supply is not constrained, so I'd look more at first quarter sales comparisons than launch weekend.

24. Beards macrumors 6502

Beards

Not so for ANY 6s Plus here in the UK.
    http://www.istocknow.com/uk

25. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

It's more to do with apple managing orders better this year with more supply