Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Harry8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2014
United Kingdom
Hi guys just to confirm, we have found that our rose gold iPhone 6S (64 GB) has Sansdisk TLC nand flash installed. It recently crashed and couldn't work out what was causing it. Did a a MLC and TLC Check we have the inferior TLC nand memory. Thought apple had fixed this issue with their new phones by just having MLC which is far better!!

Shame on you Apple charging us loads of money for TLC tat!! Phone will now be sent back for a full refund!

I urge you guys to check yours.

Reactions: g75d3

DoctorKrabs

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
It might not be the same TLC situation as before. The Sandisk TLC NAND is much different than the Toshiba TLC that caused the failures before.

EDIT: There was also Sandisk TLC for the iPhone 6 but the brand wasn't the cause for the problems.

Reactions: !!!

touchstoned

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2015
Hermosa Beach, CA
Lol geekbench does a storage test and this thing absolutely destroys the iphone 6 in every single speed test, so I guess the new TLC flash is 2-3x faster than the old "higher quality" MLC flash? What is the issue?

Posting in another "I found something totally irrelevant to form or function that I don't like about my iphone and am throwing a fit" thread.

Harry8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2014
United Kingdom
I don't have a problem with it being 64GB but when it crashes constantly and having seen what others have said, Apple have gone back to a Sandisk TLC NAND flash... Not good when you are paying over £600 (almost $1000).

Here's the link to check it:

http://www.pgyer.com/tlccheck

Apple are taking it back as seems to be a common issue.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Hi guys just to confirm, we have found that our rose gold iPhone 6S (64 GB) has Sansdisk TLC nand flash installed. It recently crashed and couldn't work out what was causing it. Did a a MLC and TLC Check we have the inferior TLC nand memory. Thought apple had fixed this issue with their new phones by just having MLC which is far better!!

Shame on you Apple charging us loads of money for TLC tat!! Phone will now be sent back for a full refund!

I urge you guys to check yours.

So just because it has TLC nand you assume you phone I'd defective?

I bet Apple hates forums like this as it makes some of us act like idiots.

One crash and it gone! You likely will get a Sammy chip for your trouble and maybe a few dead pixels.

Reactions: Eileen89 and doboy

vinzb

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2015
I don't have a problem with it being 64GB but when it crashes constantly and having seen what others have said, Apple have gone back to a Sandisk TLC NAND flash... Not good when you are paying over £600 (almost $1000).

Is it safe to check with this app??

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB

Of course having TLC NAND is a common issue. Because that's how it's built (according to you)...

As far as it crashing... I don't think I've had a crash yet on my 6s. So if it crashes often, yes, I'd return it. But not because of the TLC NAND, since that's what you'd likely get back in return.

C

Rackness01

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2015
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB
So the next question... Why do you think this is an issue? Do you have benchmarks to show that the performance of the 6s isn't up to snuff?

Check out this site:

http://iphonebenchmark.net/diskmark_chart.html

They show that the 6s and 6s Plus have higher storage performance than any previous Apple mobile device.

Check out this article:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9662/iphone-6s-and-iphone-6s-plus-preliminary-results

It shows that the iPhone 6s has storage performance almost doubling that of the Samsung S6 and S6 Edge in some cases, although it balances out overall. It also covers the reasons why the TLC memory isn't necessarily an issue. Their words "Apple has integrated a mobile storage solution that I haven't seen in any other device yet, and the results suggest that they're ahead of just about every other OEM in the industry here by a significant amount"

So... Feel free to return your phone... And have fun looking for something better, as far as storage goes.

C

jpgr15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2015
image.png

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I admit there might be some big news from such sources, like night bar. But the possibility is extremely low.

And in this case, I don't think you will find anything useful from such source.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Am I the only ine that isn't glossing over the fact that the OP's phone crashed? Seems
To have crashed at least once, but perhaps
Multiple times (this is unclear to me based on subsequent replies).

This is the danger of the Internet. You come on here trying to figure out what might be the issue and you end up finding some things out that may or may not be relevant. In this case mlc versus tlc.

In any case, we can all be a little more accepting and tolerant. The post certainly doesn't read to me "I'm returning this because I ran a diagnostic and found out my hardware was different from what I prefer". Sounds like said diagnostic wouldn't even have been run had there been. I issues to begin with.

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
Am I the only ine that isn't glossing over the fact that the OP's phone crashed? Seems

This is the danger of the Internet. You come on here trying to figure out what might be the issue and you end up finding some things out that may or may not be relevant. In this case mlc versus tlc.

In any case, we can all be a little more accepting and tolerant. The post certainly doesn't read to me "I'm returning this because I ran a diagnostic and found out my hardware was different from what I prefer". Sounds like said diagnostic wouldn't even have been run had there been. I issues to begin with.
Between my wife's and mine iPhone 6s Plus 128GB, we've had no crashing since release day (9/25). He should take it to the genius bar but I'm sure we all have the same type of flash so gripping about this won't get much love from me.

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB

No, I said about 10 posts prior that if it's crashing constantly, he should take it back. But it likely has nothing to do with the storage memory type, and no cause for running around crying about the sky falling.

C

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Is it safe to check with this app??
I wouldn't. The dust still hasn't settled around the malware coming out of China and it's prudent to avoid installing anything that's not from the App Store (and some Chinese malware even made it to the official App Store, giving you an idea how messed up things have been). Unless others on this forum are familiar with this developer and can vouch for it, I would steer clear. And I honestly can't see why anyone would try to identify the maker of their flash unless they are having crashes. And even then, I'd leave it to Apple to sort out. Within the return period, I'd get a new iPhone. Outside of it, I'd insist politely on warranty service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.