Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WeatherMate

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2015
san francisco, california
So guys what do you think Apple is going to come up with this year? iPhone 6S or iPhone 7? The rumour mills say that the next model is going to be launched on the 25th of September this year. So what are you anticipating?

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
iPhone 6s and 6s plus I think. I can't imagine them skipping the S cycle tbh. Maybe even an improved 6c as well to replace the 5c...

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
The xS models generally have fewer problems than the number models as they've had chance to iron out any hardware issues introduced by the new design.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
iPhone 7 maybe this time around. Too many new things to go with a 6s. Unless Apple is planning on a new outer shell next year to warrant a iPhone 7 name.

This year: ???

1. Force touch
2. 2 Gb of ram
3. Much better camera (12 MP)
4. Improved Siri
5. CPU
6. Better Battery
7. Better Screen perhaps
8. Stereo sounding speaker perhapes

Besides some websites have suggested a 7 instead of 6s

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I think it will be 6s and 6s plus this year. Now if they change the design or shape of the phone they might go with 7.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So guys what do you think Apple is going to come up with this year? iPhone 6S or iPhone 7? The rumour mills say that the next model is going to be launched on the 25th of September this year. So what are you anticipating?
The same kind of question that seems to come up pretty much with every S year update, and so far it's always the S model that comes out. Seems like not enough there to suspect anything else this year, just as in prior years.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
Apple is not going to change the design so soon. It will be 6S/6S+ this September/October. There's only so much you can do, design-wise. What they need to do is improve battery, screen, and performance.

soupcan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2014
Netherlands
Common sense tells people it's gonna be an S-version of the 6 and 6+ since it fits Apple's schedule for the iPhone they've been doing since 2009. However, rumors about specs (beefy A9 chip, waaaaaay better camera, Force Touch, etc) tell us it's going to be a pretty substantial upgrade which we'll usually see in a new design. We'll have to see. I still think the 5S is waaaaaaaay more beautiful than the iPhone 6 and 6+ because of the diamond cut edges and the glass inlays on the back. And I particularly don't like the huge antenna bands on the 6. So a redesign would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Lukkee24

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
Common sense tells people it's gonna be an S-version of the 6 and 6+ since it fits Apple's schedule for the iPhone they've been doing since 2009. However, rumors about specs (beefy A9 chip, waaaaaay better camera, Force Touch, etc) tell us it's going to be a pretty substantial upgrade which we'll usually see in a new design. We'll have to see. I still think the 5S is waaaaaaaay more beautiful than the iPhone 6 and 6+ because of the diamond cut edges and the glass inlays on the back. And I particularly don't like the huge antenna bands on the 6. So a redesign would be greatly appreciated.

We're all entitled to our own opinions, but I think most people prefer the iPhone 6 design. Sure, the 5/5S was great, but the 6 is excellent! If they made the camera flush and made the antenna bands blend in more, that would be perfect.

placidity44

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2015
It'll be the s cycle this year and 7 next. I see improvements like an a9 chip, beefed up camera, force touch, more ram, iOS 9, etc. They're not going to change that cycle now. Brings more anticipation and a ton of people will get the 6S but the 7 will be highly anticipated and shatter sales records.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
I am expecting the iPhone 6s and 6s+, although it seems very strange that the only "leak" we've gotten so far is analysts' predictions of specs. If I recall correctly, we knew pretty much everything of the iPhone 6 in March and the iPhone 5 around that time as well. To me, this points to an "S" model because the same thing happened with the 5s. We got a real leak until July showing the different space gray color. I wonder if this happens because leaks are more likely to occur with different design models?

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
iPhone 7 maybe this time around. Too many new things to go with a 6s. Unless Apple is planning on a new outer shell next year to warrant a iPhone 7 name.

This year: ???

1. Force touch
2. 2 Gb of ram
3. Much better camera (12 MP)
4. Improved Siri
5. CPU
6. Better Battery
7. Better Screen perhaps
8. Stereo sounding speaker perhapes

Besides some websites have suggested a 7 instead of 6s
1 through 3 and 5 are pretty much confirmed. 4 I believe is what proactive is all about. 6 is probably only slightly bigger like all models thus far, and I don't see 7 or 8 happening until the redesigned iPhone 7.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
We're all entitled to our own opinions, but I think most people prefer the iPhone 6 design. Sure, the 5/5S was great, but the 6 is excellent! If they made the camera flush and made the antenna bands blend in more, that would be perfect.
I prefer the iPhone 6 design as well. The antenna bands don't bother me, but the iPhone 5/5s's edges as well as the two glass pieces do because they smudge. I'm very interested in seeing what the iPhone 7 will look like.

lra108

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2013
I think they would only skip the 'S' generation if they absolutely needed to...like if the design was so bad it could be a fire hazard or smth

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
Is it possible that Apple could surprise everyone and release the iPhone 7 and not have a 6s? I know it's Apple's history to release 4, 4s, 5, 5s, 6 but could they jump from 6 to code name 7 given it will probably have 2 gig of ram and force touch, better camera, iOS9 (which might end up being the best iOS yet. Seems like all of this might be enough of an upgrade to just call it iPhone 7. Would Apple do this? This would be news that would catch everyone off guard by surprise. What are your thoughts?

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
Probably not. A new number designation usually has a new case design, and I would think they reduce bezel size and up the resolution of one or both displays on the 7. It doesn't seem, from rumors and leaks, that they are going with an overall redesign, just some small stuff. If force touch doesn't come to this year's iPhone, then it would definitely be a feature in next year's.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Seems like we are discussing this already in another thread (and certainly have in various others before).

Sure, pretty much anything is possible. So far it doesn't seem likely though.

Reactions: bhayes444

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
Seems like we are discussing this already in another thread (and certainly have in various others before).

Sure, pretty much anything is possible. So far it doesn't seem likely though.

Seems like every year a thread like this is made, and every time they end up releasing the S version.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
There will be an S model this year. We've already seems leaks of the back casing/chassis for the 6S and nothing about it suggests any major design changes.

Reactions: ohio.emt

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Seems like every year a thread like this is made, and every time they end up releasing the S version.
There always are threads like this, and they always come out with the S version. The only time the speculation made sense was when people were speculating that apple would go from the 4 straight to the 5 since there had only been one S model at that point and the 4S was the 5th iPhone that Apple released.

Now that the pattern has been clearly established there isn't much reason to think that they will change it, especially with the part leaks that are very similar to the 6.

Reactions: bhayes444
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.