Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smarks90

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Akron, Ohio
Hello All,

Anyone have any information that I haven't been able to find that may help me here:

I preorded a 6s Plus late (opted to go with it instead of my initial 3AM standard 6s order) and got a 3-4 shipping windows with delivery 10/12-10/19. Not a huge wait by any means (given how things looked this time last year with "Oct" and "Nov" shipping estimates after 6 preorders last year!

I have the day off 9/25 and figured I'd try and scrounge a 6s+ up in store and cancel my preorder if possible. This being said, I'd imagine launch quantities at AT&T stores will be available but highly limited for the plus model. Looking at my local Apple store, I see there are still available reservations for just about any color (except RG)/size standard 6s but no 6s+ options for reservations. Judging by what I just read on launch day procedures (I think it was a Cult of Mac article) it looks like two lines will form: one for those with reservations, the other for those without.

I'm wondering if those in line without a reservation will essentially just grab a reservation slot from the "reservation" stock still currently available (article kind of read that it would work that way)? Or is there additional stock allocated for walk-ins? I won't bother stopping/camping at my Apple store if there isn't a chance for additional 6s+ units outside of those already reserved. I don't know how or if this can even be determined...I'm sure it's not information Apple people on the phone know/will give away. If anyone happens to know or have a thought I'd greatly appreciate the insight!!

Thanks!

DravenGSX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
There is additional stock allocated for walk-ins. If you want to be certain that you get the model that you want, be there by 10 PM the night before and settle in. If it goes like every other launch, you shouldn't have a problem getting what you want (assuming it's not rose gold).

It's kind of a cool experience to camp out at the Apple store anyway.

smarks90

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Akron, Ohio
There is additional stock allocated for walk-ins. If you want to be certain that you get the model that you want, be there by 10 PM the night before and settle in. If it goes like every other launch, you shouldn't have a problem getting what you want (assuming it's not rose gold).

I've "camped" for the iPad 2, iPad 3, and 5s before and had a blast. This new reservation system is a bit strange though. I figure I'll camp until I hear from Apple that they do or don't have any 6s+ units and then can head towards an AT&T store by the time they open if not. I should have just went with my gut and order the 6s+ from the get go when 9/25 delivery wouldn't have been a problem!!

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
From what I understand, there will be two lines, one for those who made a reservation and one without. It looks like Apple team member will then allocate reservations to those that need them with the time and that they can come back at their specific time they choose. But if your wait time is less than 2 hours, they suggest you stick around and wait as they could take you in quicker depending on how things go.

smarks90

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Akron, Ohio
I am still so confused lol. My local store has no more reservation slots for a 6s plus of any size or color. If I camp out only to be given the chance to grab a reservation they have left I'm looking at a 6S in 16gb which does me no good. My only hope is that they have some small amount of stock that aren't allotted for reservations or are "extras" for walk-ins or ppl with reservations who want to change color or size or model...etc.

spazma7ik

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2009
You've already been given the answer. Apple ALWAYS has excess stock for walk-ins only. The reservations have nothing to do with that. They've been doing reservations for a while now, this isn't new and every time I've camped out for a phone. Last year all reservations for any model were out at my store, yet they had hundreds and hundreds of devices for people that were camping out. I got a 128GB 6+ no problem.

If you camp out the night before you should have no issues getting what you want.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA

In my area at least, 10PM is WAY too late. You'd have 200 people ahead of you. When I line up, I make it like 2PM the day before. I would guess that if your'e not in the first 50 people, you won't get a plus.

smarks90

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Akron, Ohio
You've already been given the answer. Apple ALWAYS has excess stock for walk-ins only. The reservations have nothing to do with that. They've been doing reservations for a while now, this isn't new and every time I've camped out for a phone. Last year all reservations for any model were out at my store, yet they had hundreds and hundreds of devices for people that were camping out. I got a 128GB 6+ no problem.

If you camp out the night before you should have no issues getting what you want.
Thanks!! I've always Preordered. Last phone I camped for was the 5S and I was probably in the first 20 and I was OK

smarks90

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Akron, Ohio
I think my Apple Store is fairly small compared to a lot of the larger ones but I'm still planning to get there around 9 or 10 the night before to be safe.

trulytracy

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2015
I have waited in line twice....once for the iPad 2 and once for the iPad Air. The Air was a morning release and I arrived around 5 and no one was there. I felt like an idiot. Plus, it was at a mall and it wasn't open so we were just sitting in the car. Around 6:15, 3 dudes went and stood by the door. We joined them and then finally went into some employee only door and stood outside the Apple Store until about 7:30 when the mall opened their doors and about 100 others joined us. It was fun.

Will there be rose gold available for walk-ins do we think? I have a 6S+ rose gold 128 reserved for 9:30, but I have an issue. I reserved a Sprint phone and actually want a Verizon phone. My confirmation email doesn't note Sprint, it just says CDMA. I will do upgrade plan or buy outright, but my goal is to walk out with the phone and activate on US Cellular. I know this could be an issue. Chat told me that I could do this using the unlocked phones of the upgrade plan, but I am aware of the conflicting messages about this. If they won't let me do it on the upgrade plan, and they let me buy it outright, is the Verizon phone more unlocked than the Sprint one? I'm wondering if I should go very early to maximize the chance of walking out of the store with a phone.

spazma7ik

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2009
I think my Apple Store is fairly small compared to a lot of the larger ones but I'm still planning to get there around 9 or 10 the night before to be safe.
Mine is too, but you see - many people have that mentality and will drive out of town to hit the smaller stores. My store gets unusually long lines considering how small scale it is compared to places around it.

Reactions: Cayden

PTVMan

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2012

Hundreds and hundreds? Nothing quite like hyperbole.

smarks90

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Akron, Ohio
I'm hoping for a few dozen 6S+ So I can get something in 64/128 silver or gold.

Going to give it a shot. Always had fun in the past with my fellow Apple nerds :p

spazma7ik

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2009
Hundreds and hundreds? Nothing quite like hyperbole.
Its not exaggerated, they literally have hundreds of phones at many of the Apple stores on launch day. Please don't chime in on something if you're speaking from inexperience. Have you seriously ever even seen an Apple Store line on launch day? I've easily been 100th+ in a line and got my phone. Understand that there are many people in the line that buy two phones as well..

memphismeal

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2015
Memphis
In Memphis at the saddle creek store I've gotten there as late as 8 am and have been able to get what I wanted. I guess we're lucky here.

waynestu

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
Mastic
How do you guys deal with 50 people in line in front of you allowing all their friends too "cut-in" later?

PTVMan

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2012
Its not exaggerated, they literally have hundreds of phones at many of the Apple stores on launch day. Please don't chime in on something if you're speaking from inexperience. Have you seriously ever even seen an Apple Store line on launch day? I've easily been 100th+ in a line and got my phone. Understand that there are many people in the line that buy two phones as well..

I've actually done behind the scenes stories at TWO Apple Stores during 5s launch and neither store had "hundreds and hundreds" outside of the reserved stock. Each store had 125-175 non-reserved phones on launch day. So, I have in fact more experience than you. Unless you've spent time in an Apple Store stock room on launch day? BTW, you being 100+ in line and getting a phone doesn't mean you can summarize that the store had "hundreds and hundreds."

smarks90

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Akron, Ohio
I've actually done behind the scenes stories at TWO Apple Stores during 5s launch and neither store had "hundreds and hundreds" outside of the reserved stock. Each store had 125-175 non-reserved phones on launch day. So, I have in fact more experience than you. Unless you've spent time in an Apple Store stock room on launch day? BTW, you being 100+ in line and getting a phone doesn't mean you can summarize that the store had "hundreds and hundreds."

Thanks for the insight PVT! My particular Apple Store is in a local mall and has never been mass chaos on launch days. In fact, they had regular 6s reservations still available days later in almost all colors and sizes. Im thinking there will be quite a few that line up too but towards the front of the line it shouldn't be as much of a problem. I was probably, 75th in line for 5s launch and was able to get the model I wanted back then. We shall see :)

psycho78

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2011
Last year I missed the preorder online and decided to try and get a gold 6+ 64GB at the store--this is in Austin, TX-- I arrived at like 4am and was number 127ish and still got exactly what I wanted. The line was easily 400+ people long by the time doors opened and they had a lot of stock for walk ups. Now, Im sure that not everyone got what they wanted but they did have a lot of devices available for walkups.

smarks90

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Akron, Ohio
I have 3 Apple stores within an hour of my house. Now to decide which to head to. The one that is about 25 from my house is a fairly small mall store. Not sure if this makes much difference in how many they receive though. No flagship stores near me though

smarks90

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Akron, Ohio
Does anyone know if walk ins are able to utilize the iPhone upgrade program, or do you need a reservation?
I don't know for sure but it seems like it would be silly for them to turn anyone away who wants to finance (basically through them) that will likely come back and do the same thing. They want to take away some of the wireless providers' say in things like that. Id be willing to bet you can do apple upgrade program as a walk in

Reactions: YakAttack
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.