iPhone 6(S)(+) iPhone 6s Plus battery issues

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WabbalaFlumpkin, Feb 26, 2018.

1. WabbalaFlumpkin macrumors member

WabbalaFlumpkin

I recently went in a Skiing trip with my family, my parents and I noticed our iPhone batteries dropping extremely fast when outside in the cold weather. The phone would display a random percentage, then start dropping extremely fast until the phone would shutoff! When turning the phone back on inside the battery percentage would be normal. Is the cold weather to be at fault? or the altitude? Can I not rely on my iPhone incase of emergencies?

2. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

Temperature definitely effects battery performance but, not sure to the extent you’re describing. It’s possible your battery is the issue. If you have a Mac you can use Coconut battery to check the health of your battery. If it’s capacity is at or under 80% you’ll need to replace it to solve the problem

3. WabbalaFlumpkin thread starter macrumors member

WabbalaFlumpkin

When in the high altitude and cold climate of the Ski resort I was in, my iPhone's battery would drop like a rock until it died. I would then turn it on and it would be normal for a few moments, before dropping like a rock again. When inside (a warm lodge) there were no issues.

4. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

Ambient temperature does have an impact on battery performance, both short term and long term. See: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201678. Since you were in a ski resort, the temperature may have gone below Apple's minimums at some point.

5. WabbalaFlumpkin thread starter macrumors member

WabbalaFlumpkin

Thank you, the temperature was -17 during the day, which is far below Apple's minimum.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Which will cause rapid battery life decrease.

7. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

This should tell you that it is a cold related problem. You battery is likely getting old and with cold weather . . Well it can not cope. If you keep you phone in a pocket against your body while in cold weather, it will keep the battery warm so you can use it for emergencies.

You also need to put your phone in a ziplock before going into the lodge to prevent condensation until it warms up.

8. poorcody macrumors 6502a

poorcody

I have been having random rapid battery drains on my iPhone 6s+ since upgrading to iOS 11. (It started the day of the upgrade, zero battery issues before that.) I have noticed that on days when I was out hiking in the cold, it did seem to happen more often. Once my battery dropped about 60% in 45 minutes, once it dropped from 98% to shut-off in an hour-and-a-half. (Temperatures were below freezing each time). Never had any problems like this prior to iOS 11.

Remember when the iPhone X first came out, there was some bug that Apple acknowledged and fixed with batteries dying in the cold? I suspect the problem wasn't entirely fixed.