Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Full HD is 2MP, so 8MP is plenty, especially when photos on, say, Facebook are scaled down.

I know most companies do more pixels = smaller pixels = more noise, but it'd be good to have, say 16mp with no more noise. So, a more 'crop-able' picture, but not lower quality than 8MP.

garya73

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2013
Delaware, USA
ITT: people who think more MPs means better quality. That's not true at all.

Unless Apple is going to go on a crusade to educate everyone to that fact, they would be wise to give the megapixels a slight bump. The standard seems to be 13 now. Obviously we don't need 25 or 50.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Apple has sold it's boat load of phones so why should they care what any of us say or do. The 6S models will not outsell the current ones anyway. Their putting all the eggs into the iPhone 7. The S models will receive triple core cpu and 2 gigs of ram. That's enough for Apple.

It'd be great to have a new feature - like Touch ID on the iPhone 5S - but if the 6S only has spec upgrades like double the RAM or a faster GPU and GPU, then I will still be one happy customer.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
No need

Really not much need to go above 8MB ever. Just continue to improve photography in low light conditions. My phone pictures are fine now except in low light. That is basically the only time I end up with a picture that isn't good.

cheesyappleuser

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
Portugal
At this point I can't really see much of a benefit of having less megapixels in the camera. Yes, it's not just about those, but nevertheless it's about time to upgrade that aspect.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Unless Apple is going to go on a crusade to educate everyone to that fact, they would be wise to give the megapixels a slight bump. The standard seems to be 13 now. Obviously we don't need 25 or 50.

I don't think they need to any more than they need to educate us that an iPhone with a dual core processor matches an Android running on quad-core. They just build a good experience and pekple buy into it. They advertise the other advance things about the camera.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Oh wow yay!! Really?? # I hope this isn't true. How long will apple keep getting away with these small poor updates????? ##

And yet the iPhone camera is consistently one of the best out there on a smartphone for just pointing and shooting.

The IPhone 6 Camera is such a disappointment and this news (if they are true) are even a bigger step back.
The 16MP Camera of the Galaxy Note 4 is so much better.
My Friend got it and he takes crystal clear and super sharp pictures.

Apple, Your Move!

My 6+ camera is easily my second best, just below my Lumina. I don't get how it's disappointing, the 6 has almost the same camera.

The iPhone "S" updates revolve primarily around internal hardware upgrades. The camera being a very important part of it. So if that stays the same the iPhone 6S could very well be a bit of a dud. Of course the amount of megapixels is only a part of the story, so if there are still other camera improvements it's fine.

They haven't changed the MP count since the 4S, so I don't see how this is a disappointment. Were you disappointed by the 5S as well? Was it a dud?

Congrats Apple! If true then you have become the biggest cheapskate w your keeping of ram, memory, big bezels and now camera sensor.

The bezel aren't there because they're cheap, they serve a purpose.

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
There's no such thing as triple core CPU, unless the manufacturers made quad cores and disable a core intentionally (like AMD does, so it's technically not a triple core). Cores go in 2^x numbers.

IPad Air 2 is triple core

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
No camera upgrade - what else can they do, to make the s version any different then the 2014 model?

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Full HD is 2MP, so 8MP is plenty, especially when photos on, say, Facebook are scaled down.

I know most companies do more pixels = smaller pixels = more noise, but it'd be good to have, say 16mp with no more noise. So, a more 'crop-able' picture, but not lower quality than 8MP.

But this is impossible within the the physical size limitations of the lens and the sensor. Why end up with worse pictures 20 to 30% of the time, for that one picture out of a 100 where a huge amount of cropping is useful? Basically you will make all pictures taken indoors worse by going to 16MB (and much worse if you aren't using flash or in a very very well lit room), just so you can get some crop of an outdoor landscape picture. Most of my pictures are taken when I'm in doors so that is a net negative for me in a big way. And I'm also rarely cropping landscape pictures since I want the entire landscape.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Yeah, Apple is always saving things for the next version. The rest of the phone industry doesn't do that. That's why the iPhone is now seventeen and a half years behind his closest competitor (except in sales).

How is it behind the competition?

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland
Really not much need to go above 8MB ever. Just continue to improve photography in low light conditions. My phone pictures are fine now except in low light. That is basically the only time I end up with a picture that isn't good.

They wouldn't really need to do a massive jump in megapixels like their competitors. But 10 would be good enough for the foreseeable future since that would allow them to implement 4K recording.

Although I don't really expect them to introduce 4K until iPhone 7.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
The original rumor came from John Gruber, who is a much more reliable source.

The camera quality is one of the last complaints I hear from people when comparing phones to Samsung.

It's time for a megapixel upgrade. Considering these don't have physical zooming, the extra megapixels are useful to have.

There is no reason at this point we can't have a 12 or so megapixel sensor that retains excellent image quality.

Not to mention 4K video recording which will require more as well.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
The current camera at 8MP, with each pixel at 1.5u. Leave the 8MP but increase the pixel size to 1.7u = will probably increase the bump a little. Still this will improve low light performance and reduce noise all around.

Also, Apple does have a patent to take several pictures in a hyper-burst mode and stitch them together to create a higher MP picture. So if they increase the pixel size and add this technology, they could make everyone happy.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
No camera upgrade - what else can they do, to make the s version any different then the 2014 model?

Better processor, better WiFi, more RAM maybe, improving the sensor of the 8mp camera, better battery life because of another SoC shrink... that's all I've got right now.

AgentElliot007

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2010
Pixels, as always, are overrated by most who can't see past what they can read on spec sheet.

It's the sensor that's important!!!

And I'm one of the people who upgrades to the s model just for the camera.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011

This is not like RAM where more is better. Apple have continuously said in their keynotes that more is not better when it comes to sensors. It's the engineering put into it. The number of lenses, the chip, the technology used, that's what counts. It's not coincidence that the iPhone 6+ outperforms many high end smartphones with more MPs.

Vanilla Face

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2013
an 8 MP picture is the size of a poster.

That depends on the pixel density. The 5K iMac is....5K, which is 5120-by-2880, which is 14.7 MP. The Given the iPhone's Camera's 4:3 (or 3:4), you'd need a 19.7 MP 4:3 photo to crop to 16:9 to use as the background on a 5k iMac without stretching it. A 4K monitor would need a 11.1 MP 4:3 photo to crop to 16:9. That still doesn't give you any room to zoom/crop. 8MP simply isn't what it used to be.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Nothing at all wrong with a 8 megapixel sensor in a phone. There is so much more to photography than megapixel count. People assume that more Mega-pixels means better pictures, Nope!

AgentElliot007

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2010
They wouldn't really need to do a massive jump in megapixels like their competitors. But 10 would be good enough for the foreseeable future since that would allow them to implement 4K recording.

Although I don't really expect them to introduce 4K until iPhone 7.

I don't know when they'll do 4K, but this is when I expect we'll see a modest MP jump to accommodate it. I don't expect that too soon though. Even iPhone 7 is probably pushing it. I could easily see it being a 7s or even 8 thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.