iPhone 6's screen is too bright

BrentwoodTWO

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2014
While its good than the iPhone 6 is much brighter than iPhone 6+'s or any previous iPhone models. But the downside is that the screen would not dim dark enough. Its particularly annoying if i'm using my phone before I go to bed, because its just way too bright..

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
While its good than the iPhone 6 is much brighter than iPhone 6+'s or any previous iPhone models. But the downside is that the screen would not dim dark enough. Its particularly annoying if i'm using my phone before I go to bed, because its just way too bright..
It's a nice problem to have for me :)

I'd personally take too bright a screen vs too dim a screen anyday.

Could always wear shades in bed :cool:

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
Or invert the colors aka "night mode"
Oooh... see it's a good thing we have smart members on the forum like you cababah. I didn't even think of that. I just tried it and maaaaaaan my phone feels like its on an acid trip! :confused::p

Edit: tried to screenshot it to show the difference for others but it only screenshots in the original colors :(

Gmcube

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
Couldnt they fix this with a firmware update? I cant think of a technical reason it shouln't be able to go dimmer.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
Oooh... see it's a good thing we have smart members on the forum like you cababah. I didn't even think of that. I just tried it and maaaaaaan my phone feels like its on an acid trip! :confused::p

Edit: tried to screenshot it to show the difference for others but it only screenshots in the original colors :(
Instead of a white background, it becomes a black background which is much easier on the eyes. You can also activate "greyscale" mode which helps too.

Dezmond

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2014
I loved that Jailbreak app where you could dim it further thanks to an overlay. (forgot the name) They should really include this standard in iOs.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

Photoshop to the rescue! :)

The weird thing is, turning this on and using it for more than a couple minutes, the icons on the home screen and photo displays actually kinda give me a weird case of nausea. But the light-on-dark text and the keyboard looks really nice and sharp to me in inverted mode. Kinda wish there would be a way to keep the text and keyboard looking that way without inverting the whole screen... almost like a dark mode for iOS.

Attachments

thadoggfather

macrumors G4
Oct 1, 2007
you could always swap it. Lots of screens aren't nearly as bright.

They seem to be more common too in my experience. But not a fan

technosix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2015
West Coast USA
I find the range of adjustment is well thought out. It's about the same as my Nexus 6 which is ideal. My Nexus 5 is another smartphone with just the right range of adjustment. Actually the last several top of the line smartphones I've bought have all been quite good.